Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS, Buyer Beware

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 01:01 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Exclamation GPS, Buyer Beware

I know there are a few GPS threads posted and I apologize for adding another but I want to share my recent exerience with an online vendor.

I posted a thread about the Zumo 450 and many chimed in on it. I had pretty much decided which vendor I was going with after many hours of internet searching. My choice was 86th Street Photo & Video.Their price was just too good to be true. Yeah, I know the saying, but anyway...

Now
one member in particular posted a link to Resellerratings.com an online sellers rating page.I checked it out and then checked out my vendor. They weren't given very good marks. But still the price was just so good and the listing stated that the Zumo came with all items that the Garmin site said it came with. So I orderd it.

I called them yesterday to confirm that they did indeed get my order. They said yes but I didn't buy a memory card. I said I didn't want one and they said OK, it would ship out in the next 2-3 weeks and we left it at that. This morning I got an email that said:

We thank you for choosing 86th St. Photo & Video as your choice for all your photographic equipment.

In order to further verify your order, we will need to speak with you on the phone. Please call our Verification department at 1-800-815-2040 Ext. 202 Brian so we may verify and complete processing your order.

If you have already called and confirmed your order, you may disregard this request.

I did call them back and they tried to sell me additional items including items that were listed in the ad and that were supposed to come included. They told me that NOTHING came with it, just the Zumo 450. I told them what their ad listed and they rudely told me again that it came with nothing and if I wanted the additional items I could buy them from them or go buy the kit from another store. I started to repeat what their ad listed and they rudely cut in and said " You people from Massachusetts are just so difficult to deal with. We are cancelling your order" Then the line went dead. A few minutes later I got an email confirming the cancellation. I have never ever encountered such a rude and hostile vendor or phone rep.

BUYER BEWARE.

I went with Amazon.com. I have always had excellent dealings with them.

Last edited by soos; 12-30-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:12 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Obviously a scam ... Thank your lucky stars they didn't further rip you off by charging your card some sort of stocking fee, return fee, administration fee, or canceling an order fee.

A rule of thumb to live by ... "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

Old 12-30-2008, 01:15 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard stories like this from members in the ZumoForums as well, same deal, hard selling additional accessories, poor customer service, rude, etc. Its the new breed of telephone tough guys, they have no accountability, just make their money off the poor SOBs that will take their crap!

Old 12-30-2008, 01:15 PM
RDM
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had a dollar for every similar report I've seen about them I could have retired years ago. Keep an eye on your CC bill. There have been reports that they don't always cancel the CC charge when they cancel the order.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:16 PM
craigcrewcheif
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I was a professional photographer for many years and this is nothing new with camera companies or this store in particular. As always if the price is to good to be true there is something wrong. Usually they sell incomplete kits or grey market goods that don't have USA warranties. Most times they are not an authorized dealer. Always stay with the known retailers in the photo or electronics field. If you buy grey market goods double check that the seller not the manufacturer will repair that item under warranty. For cameras and photo equipment the two best are B&H Photo and Adorama Camera both in New York City.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:20 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I did call my CC company immediately afterwards and told them about the vendor. I was given the Direct Dispute Dept number and was assured that I could fight any charges and win. What's in your wallet?

Old 12-30-2008, 01:33 PM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the same situation when I initially tried to buy my Zumo. Go with someone you know! All the really cheap places are scams!

Old 12-30-2008, 01:34 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow what a flakey vendor thanks for the warningand ride safe

Old 12-30-2008, 01:37 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

For anyone decided on buying a Zumo (and online for that matter) please check out this site, its very helpful and can steer you clear of some of those scammers. http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?page=15#tp-comment as well as http://www.resellerratings.com/ Good luck and good hunting out there.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:37 PM
TMART
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bummer,thats the kinda luck I have

Quick Reply: GPS, Buyer Beware