Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bagger Brace or True trac.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 12:11 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I have deliberately ridden my dresser with the rear stabilizer disconnected, and while I could tell the difference in the feel of the engine, I cannot say it causes any perceptible vibration. The reduced quality in handling was immediately obvious! This really is not an issue. The improvement in ride quality and handling is what these stabilizer kits are all about. I have not found any disadvantage in fitting them on two bikes.

Remember that Buells have always had three stabilizers (I have one of those as well!), Erik Buell having patented the system. Current Sportsters also have them.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:45 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

>>if horizontal at one end of the motion, would swing 0.573 degrees and produce a sideways motion of about 2/10,000".<<

I work with these links and there is almost that much tolerance in some links. Also, the vibration is assuming there is movement longitudinal direction of the engine as it pulses. We don’t know that it does. I can see some movement when the rider is accelerating because the engine is being pulled back by the belt. The degree of how much that engine should move is based on the quality of the motor mounts. I would guess older bikes would really feel that difference.

As for your link length, if the location rod end attached to the frame is constant, then it doesn’t matter how long the rod because the arc in degrees remains the same. Since the engine is now attached to the frame via the rod, the pivot should remain the same.

Anyways, it appears these differences don’t have the ill effects that were considered. Likely because the tolerances of an aircooled engine are large enough to absorb any ill effected not considered in the design.

I did find it interesting that the solution to the vibration some are feeling in the 09s floor boards (including me) is to just tighten up all the exhaust mounts and joints. I hope it is just that easy.

Beary

Old 01-02-2009, 01:10 PM
teqsand
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Who has the best price for the Bagger Brace?

Old 01-02-2009, 01:26 PM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by beary
>>if horizontal at one end of the motion, would swing 0.573 degrees and produce a sideways motion of about 2/10,000".<<

I work with these links and there is almost that much tolerance in some links. Also, the vibration is assuming there is movement longitudinal direction of the engine as it pulses. We don’t know that it does. I can see some movement when the rider is accelerating because the engine is being pulled back by the belt. The degree of how much that engine should move is based on the quality of the motor mounts. I would guess older bikes would really feel that difference.

As for your link length, if the location rod end attached to the frame is constant, then it doesn’t matter how long the rod because the arc in degrees remains the same. Since the engine is now attached to the frame via the rod, the pivot should remain the same.

Anyways, it appears these differences don’t have the ill effects that were considered. Likely because the tolerances of an aircooled engine are large enough to absorb any ill effected not considered in the design.

I did find it interesting that the solution to the vibration some are feeling in the 09s floor boards (including me) is to just tighten up all the exhaust mounts and joints. I hope it is just that easy.

Beary
Motorcycle engines are usually tuned so their main vibration is in the vertical plane, which can be seen when a Harley is ticking over. There is no significant fore and aft vibration. We humans are tolerant of the vertical variety, less so of the horizontal sort and engineers are like us!

In essence a rubber mount Harley or Buell engine is rocking up and down, but rotating around the rear mount. So most of the motion we can see is at the front engine mounting, which on all dressers to 2009 was a simple device with a lateral stabilizer.

Theoretically the sideways motion available at the rear mounting is minimal, but it is enough to be a source of concern when riding. Erik Buell patented the third stabilizer and if it is good enough for his bikes, to make them some of the best handling bikes there are, we should all jump on the wagon and get one.

The factory has changed the rubber mounts on dressers for 2009 and it will be interesting, when they have been around a while, to see if anyone makes a stabilizer kit for them, or the factory effort is considered to be good enough. In the meantime the third stabilizer is a great add-on for earlier versions!

Old 01-02-2009, 02:10 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by cudski
Rochkes,
I have a similar set up on my SG....did you notice a difference with the bb as compared to stock?
The weather has prevented me from getting to put it to the real test. I do like the way it feels now.

Dennis

Old 07-31-2009, 07:29 AM
slime_dog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone use an ATV style lift with the bagger brace? Is it ok to lift on the brace in the dogbone?

Old 07-31-2009, 07:38 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Like so many other things you read about,it's up to the individual.My preferance is the STABO bushings,both bikes have them installed and both are rock steady at any speed.Price is right as well.Good Luck

Old 12-10-2015, 02:11 AM
tonymontanna1983
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Update please! I want one of these for Christmas but I don't know which one. True Track or Bagger Brace? I'm riding a 2011 'Glide and I'm wobbling all over the place. Prolly need new bushings too. Help me decide guys!!!!!

Old 12-10-2015, 06:11 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Cool

Originally Posted by tonymontanna1983
Update please! I want one of these for Christmas but I don't know which one. True Track or Bagger Brace? I'm riding a 2011 'Glide and I'm wobbling all over the place. Prolly need new bushings too. Help me decide guys!!!!!
True Track is the original and is patented, all other similar brands are copies. Read my bagger wobble thread for a description of what you are dealing with, but note that it is essential to ensure your bike is in tip top shape first, otherwise you won't get the best benefit of installing one. Get a long drink first! Lots of things can affect handling, as mentioned above.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:16 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymontanna1983

On the post'08 frame there should be no need for either. Most likely something is worn out or bent. Inspect you frame and suspension components and my money is on your finding the problem in one or both of these areas.

Quick Reply: Bagger Brace or True trac.