Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bagger Brace or True trac.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:50 PM
mile high king
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted a thread a few weeks ago about the Progression Touring Brace (search for posts under Mile High King). Very pleased with it. Device is well made and very clean in design. It's a swingarm mount replacement type design, so you hardly notice it's there once installed....looks like the stock factory part, save for the mounting hole for the stabilizer bar.

I will note that I perceive a slight vibration being transmitted into the frame, but that is probably inherent in any of the designs as they all tie the motor/swingarm to the frame in some fashion. Handling-wise, waggle is now gone.

Originally Posted by Hog Yild
Let us know how it goes, that's a great price!

Old 12-30-2008, 11:24 PM
05 HD Deluxe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the bagger brace. Installed it Sunday. The quality and fit could not be better, does not effect ground clearance. (Sits above everything). Anodized black thick aluminum. Not really visible when installed. The short ride I was able to take I could tell a difference. Looking forward to really putting it through the test. I thought the price was good for the quality of the product. The amount of positive reviews I read on many different sites was what pushed me over the edge with the BB. Could not be happier.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:58 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mile high king
I posted a thread a few weeks ago about the Progression Touring Brace (search for posts under Mile High King). Very pleased with it. Device is well made and very clean in design. It's a swingarm mount replacement type design, so you hardly notice it's there once installed....looks like the stock factory part, save for the mounting hole for the stabilizer bar.

I will note that I perceive a slight vibration being transmitted into the frame, but that is probably inherent in any of the designs as they all tie the motor/swingarm to the frame in some fashion. Handling-wise, waggle is now gone.
My friends Progressive Brace has noticeably more vibration to the floorboards and frame than my Bagger Brace for what it's worth.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:33 AM
HDUltraRider
Banned

I went with the bagger brace after reading thousand of post about the different braces. Went with the Bagger based on what I read and the price... I am real happy with it very high quality 1/2 hour to install with no issues and great customer support from them. Does not change the ground clearance on the bike at all, the only down side is you wont be able to add a center stand.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:54 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't "braced" myself yet (if I ever do). I like the looks of the Bagger Brace just about the best of all of them I've looked at. The design and execution is great. I just wish they'd made the link much longer. As long as possible, like all the way across to the other side of the bridge instead of into its middle. The longer the link, the less lateral displacement there will be as a result of up/down/front/back motion. Hence, less vibration and other ill effects. I'm rather surprised they didn't figure that... (the math is easy and I'll explain it if anybody wants, but I'll have to "paint" a diagram and don't have the time right now).

Old 12-31-2008, 10:24 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by glens
I haven't "braced" myself yet (if I ever do). I like the looks of the Bagger Brace just about the best of all of them I've looked at. The design and execution is great. I just wish they'd made the link much longer. As long as possible, like all the way across to the other side of the bridge instead of into its middle. The longer the link, the less lateral displacement there will be as a result of up/down/front/back motion. Hence, less vibration and other ill effects. I'm rather surprised they didn't figure that...
I looked at it and I just don't think it will make a noticeable difference. The only time the difference would come into play is when the engine is pulling hard like accelerating up to highway speed. That might pull the wheel a fraction of an inch laterally, but so long as the drive train remains stable from the brace, nobody would feel it. I don't see how the difference in length would cause vibration.

Beary

Old 12-31-2008, 03:39 PM
nearmiss
Cruiser

I installed the bagger brace on a 2006 ultra and it made a nice difference. The tracking is better as is the "bump steer". (that squirrelly feeling when you are in a nice sweeper and hit a dip in the road.)

Old 12-31-2008, 03:45 PM
sadunbar
6th Gear

I believe the bagger brace is engineered very well - and is easy to install. It took me about 30 minutes...

Old 01-02-2009, 04:42 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by GliderXXX
My friends Progressive Brace has noticeably more vibration to the floorboards and frame than my Bagger Brace for what it's worth.
Having fitted my TrueTrack I deliberately disconnected it to ride the bike with and without. I could tell there was a slight difference but not enough to say it changed things.

I reckon these stabilizers, whatever brand, are brilliant and well worth fitting!

Old 01-02-2009, 12:00 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by beary
I looked at it and I just don't think it [link length] will make a noticeable difference. The only time the difference would come into play is when the engine is pulling hard like accelerating up to highway speed. That might pull the wheel a fraction of an inch laterally, but so long as the drive train remains stable from the brace, nobody would feel it. I don't see how the difference in length would cause vibration.
If the link were 3" center-to-center and the vertical/fore-aft movement at the "floating" end of the link were 0.03", the link, if horizontal at one end of the motion, would swing 0.573 degrees and produce a sideways motion of about 2/10,000". If the link were 6" center-to-center the "swing" would be half, as well the lateral displacement. This is at every cycle of the crankshaft. It has to impart a vibration to the frame. Now whether it's objectionable or not is another question, but regardless, the longer link will impart less (but will have better leverage to impart it...).

Another important aspect is the distance from the swingarm pivot. If the "link" were within the pivot centerline the vertical/fore-aft movement would be the least possible, and it becomes greater the more distance away from that centerline.

The best possible result will be obtained with the best combination of proximity to the swingarm pivot, the longest link length, and the rigidity of the link anchors at each end. Certainly there must be compromise somewhere in the "system".

I still favor the Bagger Brace design from what I can remember of looking at the possibilities, but then I'm not seriously considering anything like this at this time, so have not done diligent research.

Quick Reply: Bagger Brace or True trac.