Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few new pics w/18" wheel and KW fender

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 10:49 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by hollywoodultra
Glider XXX your bike just flows, it is very nice!!

One question, when you had the 21 on the front, did you take any long trips, say 500 miles in 1 sitting? I ask b/c I am looking at putting a 21 on but dont want it to take away from the comfort or handling on the longer trips. Thanks in advance
Hollywood...I did several 500 mile rides with the 21" and with a passenger. It's hard to describe exactly and it's only my opinion, but I can't say there were ever any real "significant" comfort issues. The bike always tracked real well down the straights and corned well also with a new learned lean angle. The area most concerning to me was the decrease in stability at low speeds with a passenger, (coming to a stop, slow speed maneuvers, and a bit more rigid ride.) You sit up higher and I didn't feel as planted on the ground as I did with the 16's/18's. I kind of liked the increased "raked" feeling at first, and then it started to become kind of annoying and tippy. All in all, I did like the 21" though. I just like the 18" better. I don't think you'd be unhappy on long trips. A lot might depend on your size and your passengers. One thing I really do believe is that HD designed the 16/16 for a reason and they ride and handle great. I honestly don't believe that handling actually improves a great deal if at all. The 16's handle great. I will say that the ride is more comfortable and plush with the 16's by a fair amount. Bigger wheels on baggers IMO are to show off the wheels and for looks. Just my opinion. A lot of folks swear their bikes handle better with the bigger tires. I say they don't handle any worse, cause the 16's are very good in both comfort and handling.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:07 PM
hollywoodultra
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, I have been tossing the 21 or 18 around for a long time. With the amount of $$$ involved I just want to have it be the correct choice!