Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need opinions on a new seat!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Hoffy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sundowner rubs at the top of the side covers which you couldnt see anyways, not the lid covers.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:09 PM
Big Pig
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on Mean City!

I have owned both Mustang and Corbin seats and the factory seat on my 2008 RKC that Allen re-did with Memory foam and such sits and rides better than the Mustang or Corbin could even come close to and at half the price! They even had mine done and shipped back out the very NEXT DAY after they received.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:28 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been a Corbin guy for years now - But when I got my '08 Street Glide, I really didn't want to (A) spend the $$$ on a new Corbin saddle or (B) screw with the style of the seat (which I really like on the bike).

FTR: I'm around 6'0, 250-ish. Soft seats suck. Well, they were fine when I was 175#...

SO - I found a place that did seat mods - And found out they were only three miles from my house. Ken's Kustom Korner in Schaumburg, IL.

Pat O'Rilley (yes, I'd imagine he's Irish) did an amazing job firming up the seat by putting in a layer of 1/2" closed-cell foam underneath the top layer. You still "sink in" for that comfy-cozy feeling, but you don't "bottom out" on the padding. It's the best of both worlds from what I can tell. It's firm like a Corbin, but soft like a stocker.

Granted -- I haven't done any 400 mile days on the modded seat yet - But I can tell from the short hops - Heck, I can tell just from sitting on it in the garage, that I think I found the ticket. http://www.kenskustomkorner.com

Can't remember the exact price, but I remember it being less than $150 and worth every penny.

(EDIT) That's the right URL, but the site seems to be down at the moment... 1.847.352.5656 if you're interested.

Last edited by JohnScrip; 12-30-2008 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:37 AM
ajay450
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the Sundowner for my 2008 EGS. Excellent seat in my opinion. Puts you in a good comfortable position that I can ride all day on. It did sit a bit lower than the stock seat. I thought that would be a problem because I have long legs but I think it moved me back just a little too. Don't know if it would rub the hardbags on the SG. Doesn't on my EGS. To me it is better than the Corbins and Mustangs I've had and a lot less money.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:13 AM
jharanin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the time I sent it out to the time I got it back was around 2-weeks maybe even less. If you call them they would give you a pretty accurate turnaround time.

Originally Posted by StGlide07
jharanin - How long did Mean City Cycles take to redo seat?

Old 12-30-2008, 07:15 AM
russl179
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MEANCITYCYCLES is the way to go. They are the experts in seats. Plus, they are great people to deal with.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:02 AM
Varooom
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought the HD Sundowner for my 08 RG. Used it on my Milwaukee trip this summer. Tallahassee to Milwaukee and back. 3000 miles in two weeks. The seat was very comfortable and did not rub on anything anywhere. I have the HD Sidekick seat for around town. Now that is a friggen BRICK but looks sweet and is fine for around town.

I don't think you can go wrong with the sundowner for its price. The wife is very happy with it also.

Im 6'3" and 220#

Doug

Old 12-30-2008, 08:19 AM
electra glide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a sundowner on my 05 FLHT and haven't had any problems with the bags. Pretty comfy seat too.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:04 PM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a Mustang seat on another Harley and it was far better than the Harley seat, any Harley seat I've tried.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:16 PM
boogiewithtuck
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a Corbin man. Will have one on my RG before Sturgis. Ain't cheap but man you can rack up some miles w/o any pain!

Quick Reply: Need opinions on a new seat!!!!