Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camping Advice for Wife (HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 03:31 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm just the opposite, I spent 23 years in the Army and I love hotels now, while my wife loves to camp. I just can't get excited about it anymore.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Bonnie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my opinion but Slacker and I love to ride and love to camp. Part of the reason we bought our new Street Glide is to travel. We have nice things, house, tahoe, 65 in big screen and all that but you got to make the payments each month and does not leave lots for travel and vacation. I grew up tent camping and for my wedding present he got me a travel trailer. Now we plan all our trips around KOAs. I love the kamping cabins and for a fee of five dollars you can also rent sheets, blankets, pillows, towels and washclothes. I just love the freedom to get on and ride and still have a very nice affordable place to stay. The bathouses are very nice and even have washer and dryer so don't have to carry as much. Most even have wireless internet and we can take the laptop along. Just this wife's two cents worth.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:32 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There is no way I could ever talk my wife in sleeping in a tent again. We tried it once, and she hated it. I bought a camper when I was a SSG. I used it to deer hunt and we camped twice in it. I decided to park it for the winter on the post resale lot, since it was 30 dollars a month cheaper than storage. I went TDY, she sold the camper. We have a boat and go to Lake Texoma a lot. She makes the resort reservations for us and the kids every November 1st. Let her be comfortable, where she sleeps, and the nights will be a little hotter.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:42 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't make her camp. I like to camp but I don't mind being dirty and I will shower anywhere I can. But my wife requires a real bed and a real shower and I respect that.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:48 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

my wifes ONLY campgrounds....holiday inn or comfort inn. there is something to be said for a real bed after riding all day.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:32 PM
rfultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wife i have loves to camp. But she says that she feels better knowing that our bike is sitting under the overhang on the front of the Hilton. She is only thinking of the bike you know....... Seriously like you, i like to camp, but it for sure is not her thing.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:28 PM
ezlife
Road Master

[quote=mark10;4298317]

...part of the reason i like riding is how you 'feel' the outside. the cool thru the forest, the winds on the open places. how you hear more, birds, etc. kinda like feeling one with nature.

camping just continues that. the evening sounds. the crickets. wood peckers. take a walk and see the sites. preying mantices. squirrels and chipmonks. fall asleep next to a creek and the running water.

get up in the morning to fresh air. maybe just a slight chill in the morning. just enough to appreciate that first cup of coffee.

even rain can add an eliment. the sound of raindrops on the tent or tarp.

sitting around a camp fire. talking to other campers.

fixing a good meal over a campfire. have you ever done a hobo dinner. excellant...

[quote]

'bout sums it up!

Old 12-30-2008, 05:17 PM
The Old Man
Road Master

We solved the camping problem by being a little more selective on our camp sites. Courtyard by Marriott is a very good camp ground and has basic needs for the wife....LOL!!

Old 12-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Crazycoop
Advanced

The wife and I camped for years with the bike and as we grew older we found that it was harder to get up in the morning and get moving after sleeping on the ground. Our last camping trip ended in 3 straight days of rain, but we had to get home and go to work.
I think that that was the breaking point for her. Now we roll in the motor home and I pick a centrally located spot to camp and we ride sun-up to sun-down, North, South, East, and West. It's unbelievable how much more comfortable it is!

But if your set on taking her tent camping, do a one or two dayer close to something she likes to do and see how things pan out.....just don't get her so mad at ya that she won't want to go anymore.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:46 PM
Rhonda
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Crazycoop
The wife and I camped for years with the bike and as we grew older we found that it was harder to get up in the morning and get moving after sleeping on the ground. Our last camping trip ended in 3 straight days of rain, but we had to get home and go to work.
I think that that was the breaking point for her. Now we roll in the motor home and I pick a centrally located spot to camp and we ride sun-up to sun-down, North, South, East, and West. It's unbelievable how much more comfortable it is!

But if your set on taking her tent camping, do a one or two dayer close to something she likes to do and see how things pan out.....just don't get her so mad at ya that she won't want to go anymore.

Ahhhh.....you go the way we go!! Cool!