Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is a SERT anyway?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 06:34 PM
richnakol
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is a SERT anyway?

im thinking screaming eagle something. I got the screaming eagle pro 103 stage II kit for christmas (but it says its the "for race application only" ) and was trying to figure out all the retune /flash ecm/ sert stuff before i go to get it installed. Any one know anything about these kits. I have a copy of the page from the dealers "efi race use performance " book. Cant find anything on the hd site. I have a 09 street glide.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:37 PM
UltraTheo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sceaming Eagle Race Tuner

Old 12-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Mike5959
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it an actual "tuner" or is it a race tune done on a dyno @ the dealer?

Old 12-28-2008, 06:54 PM
richnakol
Cruiser

well i found what was purchased for me. it is for racing applications only. anybody have this version installed on there bikes? part number in the screaming eagle pro catolog is 29893-07a. You have to download the catolog at hd website.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:55 PM
UltraTheo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is a tuner that the dealer needs to hook up to be able to tune it at all levels correctly. The bike needs to go on the dyno to be able to tune it correctly. I'm no expert so I probably just confused the heck out of you.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:15 PM
Big Pig
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by richnakol
well i found what was purchased for me. it is for racing applications only. anybody have this version installed on there bikes? part number in the screaming eagle pro catolog is 29893-07a. You have to download the catolog at hd website.
Pretty much all of the Screaming Eagle branded items state, "For Racing Applications Only", also pretty much just an HD marketing gimmick and of course another way that the MOCO can void the factory warranty should they so choose, even though they sell it. NOT saying they would, just that they can and have been known to use it as an excuse. Just let your dealer install it and make him commit to it not voiding the factory warranty.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:28 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

The tuner is used to adjust fuel/air ratios and timing for changes you make to your bike. Once you buy it, it hooks to the bike with a cable and then to a computer. The person that is tuning the bike can make adjustments to got the most out of the new equipment. The SERT can then only be used on your bike and not another one. It's possible to do it without a dyno and use a canned map but a dyno is best.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:34 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Screamin
Eagle
Race
Tuner

It is used to over-write or re-write the EFI programming in the stock ECM to adjust for changes made to the exhaust, intake, or motor.

There are many basemaps available, but for best results it needs to have a full dyno tune done by someone who knows what they are doing with the SERT.

Once you use a SERT with an ECM, they are married for life and that SERT can't be used on any other bike.

Steve

Old 12-29-2008, 06:58 AM
tn_chopper_man
Road Captain

Originally Posted by maineultraclassic
Screamin
Eagle
Race
Tuner

It is used to over-write or re-write the EFI programming in the stock ECM to adjust for changes made to the exhaust, intake, or motor.

There are many basemaps available, but for best results it needs to have a full dyno tune done by someone who knows what they are doing with the SERT.

Once you use a SERT with an ECM, they are married for life and that SERT can't be used on any other bike.

Steve
Also meaning: You need to take it with you when on a trip or
do as I do and keep it in the saddlebag.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:58 AM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Pig
Pretty much all of the Screaming Eagle branded items state, "For Racing Applications Only", also pretty much just an HD marketing gimmick and of course another way that the MOCO can void the factory warranty should they so choose, even though they sell it. NOT saying they would, just that they can and have been known to use it as an excuse. Just let your dealer install it and make him commit to it not voiding the factory warranty.
My understanding is, it is because your bike may not meet EPA standards after the installation, thus they have to say that it is either "for off road use only" or "For Racing Applications Only" Its just a disclaimer so that they are not responsible for what you do with it.

Quick Reply: what is a SERT anyway?