Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Close call with a Crotch Rocket

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 04:15 PM
mhud
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Close call with a Crotch Rocket

Nearly crashed into a dumbass on a rocket yesterday. I was in the left side of my lane on a two lane road in a 45 mph zone near Hot Springs, NC when a jerk on a crotch rocket zooms by me on the INSIDE of my lane. Then two more come right behind him; at least I saw them coming in my mirror but the first guy came out of no where. Scared the hell out of me as I thought about what would have happened had I been moving back to center (as I was about to do) when he zoomed past me. I was riding on the left side trying to see the traffic bunched up ahead instead of the center of my lane. I was young once and full of **** and vinegar myself but I don't think I was ever that stupid! After they passed me they zoomed around a SUV against the yellow line and then slowed down right in front of the SUV to avoid more traffic causing the SUV to slam the brakes.

Riders like that create a negative perception with cagers for the rest of us. I believe that translates to lack of respect for bikers which result in such things as cagers pulling out in front of us when they would never make that same move to another cage! No wonder motorcycle deaths are way up!

Attached Thumbnails Close call with a Crotch Rocket-100_1240.jpg  
Old 12-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, they're stupid, but you need to accept that things like that are going to happen in traffic whether it's sport bikes or cages. Lettin' it go ain't easy, but lettin' it get to you only causes you aggravation & affects your concentration.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:51 PM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You could have followed them home cut them open and slept in their gut's. But seriously that is a very dangerous situation and it could have had a very different outcome had you not seen the next 2 or been startled enough to have moved over into the path of the next knucklehead. Glad you were unhurt and are able to post this.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:51 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Crotch Rocket Riders BLOW big time... Mostly all of em'....

Old 12-28-2008, 05:17 PM
Emporers New Clothes
Cruiser

excuse me gentlemen, I happen to ride both HD cruisers and sport bikes and while yes there is a bit of an attitude difference between the two worlds ( I happen to prefer hanging out with HD riders for their natural acceptance of other riders) the real enemy gents are the cagers with 4 wheels not the other riders with 2. I spend just about as much time on the sport bike forums saying the same to them. this particular situation is crap and i see it all the time here in so cal. just the other day i saw a ahole with a passenger splitting at over 70 mph in busy traffic. with motor cycle sales up 170% we are going to see a lot of this stuff from both worlds so be alert and keep yourself safe.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Emporers New Clothes
the real enemy gents are the cagers with 4 wheels not the other riders with 2.
No, the REAL enemy is just plain stupidity, and it comes in both 4 and 2 wheel versions.

I don't care what someone rides, but face it...sport bike riders are more prone to stupid behavior. No if's, and's, or but's about it. I've never seen a pack of cruisers (whatever make/model, HD or not) running down the highway at 70+ MPH popping wheelies, and with PASSENGERS on the back to boot!

Es tee yew pee aye DEE!

(translation: S-T-U-P-I-D!)

Last edited by Phurion; 12-28-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Marblemania
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phurion
No, the
I don't care what someone rides, but face it...sport bike riders are more prone to stupid behavior. No if's, and's, or but's about it.
100% Agree!

Old 12-28-2008, 05:46 PM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

excuse me gentlemen, I happen to ride both HD cruisers and sport bikes and while yes there is a bit of an attitude difference between the two worlds ( I happen to prefer hanging out with HD riders for their natural acceptance of other riders) the real enemy gents are the cagers with 4 wheels not the other riders with 2. I spend just about as much time on the sport bike forums saying the same to them. this particular situation is crap and i see it all the time here in so cal. just the other day i saw a ahole with a passenger splitting at over 70 mph in busy traffic. with motor cycle sales up 170% we are going to see a lot of this stuff from both worlds so be alert and keep yourself safe.
Very good addvice!! I totally aggree

Old 12-28-2008, 05:51 PM
rfultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mr Phurion, very well put.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:51 PM
sportncruise
Road Captain

I actually experience the exact opposite. I ride my sport bike only on the track now so when I go hang out it is on the HD and I mostly hang out with sport bike riders.
We just recently did a underwear ride the first week of December where we donated underwear to the homeless. It was 23 degrees when I started, 75 bikes showed and not 1 person ever said a thing about my Harley.
When I use to ride my sport bike on the street and go to the local bars the HD riders would always talk smack.

Anyway back on topic, I have met many HD riders going down 270 who want to race. They are mostly gang members of Pagans or the like but most of the time I have raced up and down 270 it was against a Harley rider who wanted to see if I could keep up!
I had one old guy on a Harley blipping his throttle in traffic as he saw me coming up behind him. He was bouncing the front tire acting like he wanted to race. When I came up beside him and passed his ego just couldn't take it so he went on the break down lane to pass the cars. I showed him I could be just as much of an idiot and raced him for a while until I got some clear road and then he wasn't willing to do 135.
Idiots ride anything!