Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 02:35 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Oil pressure question...

I posted this in the softail forum, but thought some of you guys may offer some insight as well.

I changed my oil back in September right before a trip. I used a drag specialties oil filter at the reccomendation of a local indy shop that carries Amsoil. I have always only used HD filters. Anyway, I changed the oil, and it made a mess as usual. I didn't wash it, just detailed it. After riding about 500 miles to Arkansas I noticed a small drip of oil on the filter and some spots where oil blew back on the primary case. I cleaned it off, and didn't find anymore on the filter after that. I got home, washed the bike and found a bunch of old oil that had ran down behind the voltage regulator so I cleaned all that. Anyway, I was riding the other day and after the ride I noticed the same oil blow back on the primary cover. It appears to be coming from the filter, but it doesn't do it on every ride. it hasn't done it since September. Maybe the oil has to get to a certian temp to leak. It hasn't leaked enough to drip on the floor or to notice a drop in oil level, so it's not leaking much. I never had any leak from the filter area before this last oil change.

But I am also getting a small drizzle out the filler neck around the oil cap (very minimal). I am going to drain the oil, change the filter and also lower the oil level to make sure it is not overfilled.

Could these two things be related due to my oil pressure being too high? If so, any ideas on cause? Or it could just be a bad filter an overfilled oil tank I guess.

thanks

Old 12-28-2008, 03:13 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default oil

I would go back to a HD filter and 20/50 HD oil and see if you still have an issue and like you said make sure you don't overfill it. I have always ran HD oil and filters and have never had a problem plus it gives me peace of mind. The most important thing is regular oil changes/ cheap insurance ! ! ! !

Old 12-28-2008, 03:46 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Personally, I've always used H-D filters and i've never had a problem. Over the years, I've used all different brands of oil. Currently use Redline products exclusively in all of my bikes with great results.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Road Hawg
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been using amsoil 20/50 synthetic and amsoil filter in my 07 RG since my 1000 mi service,it has 36,000 mi and I have never had a problem, It doesn't burn or leak oil. Try the amsoil filter it removes much small microns than the HD filter and it has a better quality medium. You may have just gotten a bad gasket on your filter, or over tightened it.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:17 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Road Hawg, can you supply a link showing the filter you use? I have looked and can't seem to locate one online.

thanks

I think these two things are unrelated, just a bad gasket on the filter and possibly too much oil in the oil tank causing the drizzle on the filler neck.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:26 PM
Road Hawg
Tourer

WARG, I thought I had a filter in the garage but I don't, I will get the part # from my supplier and PM you the information.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:36 PM
Road Hawg
Tourer

Originally Posted by WARG
Road Hawg, can you supply a link showing the filter you use? I have looked and can't seem to locate one online.

thanks

I think these two things are unrelated, just a bad gasket on the filter and possibly too much oil in the oil tank causing the drizzle on the filler neck.
WARG, the amsoil filter # are EAOM134 = Black EAOM134C = Chrome

Old 12-28-2008, 05:45 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

If it's not dripping on the garage and your oil level isn't dropping, I would bet it's just residual from your spill. Your filter may be leaking but I doubt it.

I regularly make a mess when I change my oil. When I do, I take it to the carwash and wash the area good to make sure I get all the spill off. Other wise it will keep showing up for days.

I have never used Drag Specialty filters but if your indy recommend them, I am sure they are good. All an indy has is his reputation and he's not going to ruin it by recommending a crappy filter.

Before wasting money on a new filter and oil change, wash the crap out of it and make sure it's not too full. That's the only way you'll know for sure.