Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Florida Turnpike

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 03:55 PM
buffettphan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Florida Turnpike

OK, my last post regarding A1A sounds a bit scary considering all the lights and congestion. Would i be better off biting the bullett and just run down the Florida Turnpike to Card Sound Road, rather than 95 ar a1a? i hate to bug you all but i[m just a country boy and want to be practical, the lat thing i need is trouble's. Thanks for all the input, it has been awesome.
Carl

Old 12-27-2008, 04:13 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Carl,
A1A is the eastern most road that runs along the islands and beaches east of the intracoastal waterway. If you want to see places like South Beach you need to cross over a bridge to cross the waterway and then cruise the coast. If you want to see South Beach it's worth doing. Note the entry point north of where you want to go and exit at the next point south of where you've been.
A1A is NOT a continuous route to anywhere since it is broken up by the fact that the outer islands aren't all connected. Fort Lauderdale is not so far from Miami that you should worry. Just try to avoid rush hour. The turnpike is west of the coast and should be taken only if you want to get to the Keys ASAP and avoid anything else. Go from the airport to South Beach and either leave before 3PM or stay till after dinner.
Don't make the classic mistake of missing the best things on your journey because you need to make good time.
Jeff

Old 12-27-2008, 05:19 PM
Sugardick
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do this ride at least twice a month. Shoot me a PM and if you want I will walk you through some of the short cuts and long scenic routes to the keys. I am typing this with racoon eyes sunburn from a blast to Alabama Jack's on Card Sound road just this morning.

It can be a cool ride no matter how you go, it just depends how you want to get there.