Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine light question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 05:40 AM
Agnes the dog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine light question

I have a 2000 FLHPI that I bought used in 2002. When I first got it, I put on a pro-pipe, SE air cleaner, PCII, 16" apes with internal wiring, etc. When I turn the bike on and it goes through its diagnostic check, the engine light comes on, then goes out, then comes back on after a second or so. It will go out again after several seconds. It's almost like it's getting an error code. It's done this as long as I can remember. Unfortunately, I don't remember if it did it before I made the changes. The dealer kinda blew me off when I asked them about it years ago. The bike runs great and always starts... it's just annoying to have that light come back on again every time I turn on the ignition. Part of me has always been a little worried that I'm going to dork something up by starting it before all the check lights go off. I've done it hundreds of times without any bad effects. Anyone have any idea how to fix it??????? I've tried disconnecting/reconnecting the battery and that didn't help.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:09 AM
chappy_2336
Cruiser

I had this happen on my 07 and what i can remember is that when it comes on the second time its telling you that there is an old error code in the computer. But in your case I would think that it would have went out by now.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:30 AM
wctom
Cruiser

I just had this happen to my 99 FLHRCI Friday. I noticed after turning on the ignition, the engine light would light for the normal 4 seconds, go out for 4 seconds, and then come back on for 8 seconds. Looking it up in the service manual, it was reporting a functional error with the ECM module (error codes 52-55) or the crankcase or camshaft position sensors (error code 56).

Did you retrieve the error code? On the 99, you turn on the ignition for approximately 3 seconds, then turn it off for 3 seconds, then turn it back on for approximately 3 seconds, and then turn it off for 3 seconds, then turn it back on. The engine light starts flashing rapidly, followed by a 2 second pause, where the engine light is off, then it will start flashing slowly. Count the number of flashes until it goes into it's 2 seconds pause. The number of flashes that you just counted is the first digit of the error code. It will start flashing slowly again, and after counting those flashes, that's the second digit of the error code. Then it will start flashing rapidly again, and will start the sequence over. Watch and count the number of flashes and write the error codes down. When the number of flashes are identical to the first sequence, all error codes have been reported.

After retrieving the error code, 56 for me, and doing some subsequent digging through this great website, I found that earlier models of EFI, had a tendancy to throw false error codes. I tried the disconnect the battery suggestion to clear the error, and see if it came back when I restarted the engine and rode a while. We took a 200 mile trip yesterday, and the error never returned.

Thanks to all for the great information on this site, and saving me some $$$.

Last edited by wctom; 12-27-2008 at 07:39 AM. Reason: update for retrieving error codes
Old 12-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Agnes the dog
Cruiser

When it happened the first time, I had the dealer clear all the old codes out. I do recall them saying that there were some codes in there, but that it never threw a new code while they had it. I'll try the 3 second on/off sequence to see if I can narrow down the error code. wctom - to get the codes, are you talking about the keyed ignition switch or the one on the hand control? Thanks for the info.

Last edited by Agnes the dog; 12-27-2008 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:16 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 841 Likes on 634 Posts

this is a cut and paste from the do it yourself section..see link below
the 1999 i think is like my 1998 which is the M and M system,,different test.
on the M and M system any bad start makes the code #56 show up..and some times the cam position sensor plate eventually gets changed out.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...s-00-03-a.html

Old 12-27-2008, 06:56 PM
Agnes the dog
Cruiser

Thanks for the help guys! I figured it out tonight. It had been hard to start without giving some throttle lately... I put some different pipes on a couple weeks ago and changed the PCII map and it got worse. I adjusted the cold idle tonight and the bike fires right up now. I also noticed that my throttle cables were misadjusted, so I took care of that while I was in there. When I followed the instructions on the adjustment procedure, I had to remove a couple fuses. After removing/reinstalling the fuses and popping the temp sensor on/off, the engine light works normally - no codes!!!!!! no second light!!!!!! The only thing I can think of is that the code may have been in the throttle position sensor or the temperature sensor and was actually throwing a current code instead of a historic code. Anyway, I'm really proud of myself for being able to track it down and fix it - even if it took me six and a half years to get motivated enough to tackle it!

Old 12-27-2008, 07:07 PM
tinker1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this happen on my 08 eGlide. Still under warranty so took it to the dealer and they said it was a computer error and they reset the system so it should be fine. No further explanation than that.

When I asked if it could be due to (ok I was drunk) leaving the headlights on for several hours = dead battery.. REALLY dead battery (the odometer wouldn't even light up). I thought that if the power had gone off the computer might have gone down and reset some error code. Service guy said.. yeah, could be... so no help there.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:14 PM
barrister86
Novice

Originally Posted by im
this is a cut and paste from the do it yourself section..see link below
the 1999 i think is like my 1998 which is the M and M system,,different test.
on the M and M system any bad start makes the code #56 show up..and some times the cam position sensor plate eventually gets changed out.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...s-00-03-a.html
Any idea where I can find a listing of the diagnostic codes. My bike is a 1999 FLHRCI with the M and M system. Starts, runs for a minute or so, then just shuts off. Any ideas? thanks, Les

Old 01-25-2009, 08:15 PM
barrister86
Novice

Originally Posted by wctom
I just had this happen to my 99 FLHRCI Friday. I noticed after turning on the ignition, the engine light would light for the normal 4 seconds, go out for 4 seconds, and then come back on for 8 seconds. Looking it up in the service manual, it was reporting a functional error with the ECM module (error codes 52-55) or the crankcase or camshaft position sensors (error code 56).

Did you retrieve the error code? On the 99, you turn on the ignition for approximately 3 seconds, then turn it off for 3 seconds, then turn it back on for approximately 3 seconds, and then turn it off for 3 seconds, then turn it back on. The engine light starts flashing rapidly, followed by a 2 second pause, where the engine light is off, then it will start flashing slowly. Count the number of flashes until it goes into it's 2 seconds pause. The number of flashes that you just counted is the first digit of the error code. It will start flashing slowly again, and after counting those flashes, that's the second digit of the error code. Then it will start flashing rapidly again, and will start the sequence over. Watch and count the number of flashes and write the error codes down. When the number of flashes are identical to the first sequence, all error codes have been reported.

After retrieving the error code, 56 for me, and doing some subsequent digging through this great website, I found that earlier models of EFI, had a tendancy to throw false error codes. I tried the disconnect the battery suggestion to clear the error, and see if it came back when I restarted the engine and rode a while. We took a 200 mile trip yesterday, and the error never returned.

Thanks to all for the great information on this site, and saving me some $$$.
Any idea where I can find a listing of the diagnostic codes. My bike is a 1999 FLHRCI with the M and M system. Starts, runs for a minute or so, then just shuts off. Any ideas? thanks, Les

Old 01-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Agnes the dog
Cruiser

Try this: http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com...ead.php?t=4352 It's for 2000-2003, but it may be worth a try.

JJ

Quick Reply: Engine light question