Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance & hines pipes install question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 05:53 PM
lennyhd2002
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vance & hines pipes install question?

I JUST GOT SOME V&H BIG SHOT DUALS FOR CHRISTMAS AND IM GONNA INSTALL THEM TONIGHT AND WANT TO KNOW IF IT IS OKAY TO JUST INTALL AND DRIVE WITHOUT MAPING AND TUNING AND FUEL PAKS AND AND ALL THAT AOTHER B.S.. i HAVE A 08 STREET GLIDE.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:30 PM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member

If you just change the pipes, you should be okay to ride without anything else.
If you change the A/C later, then you should definitely look into fuel management (Fuelpak, Power Commander, or SERT).

Old 12-27-2008, 11:02 AM
lennyhd2002
Advanced

thank you. I just got them on last night. They sound so good. They are louder than I expected and that is what I wanted.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:54 PM
FYRDOC
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now try popping some baffles from BCT in there and see what you think!!!! Even louder!!

Old 12-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 118 Posts

I hope you don't mind if I jump in this thread but I've run into a problem trying to install a pair of Bub 7 slip on's on my '09 Street Glide. The right muffler doesn't even come close to lining up with the rear saddlebag support. It's gotta be close to 3/4's of a inch off (towards wheel) I did notice this when I removed the stock muffler. Has anyone else come across this problem? I guess I'll need to loosin' up the entire exhaust system and somehow correct this, Rich

Old 12-28-2008, 10:21 AM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the rear "bracket" under the saddlebags was adjustable, i.e. will slide forward or back an inch or so? Maybe my memory is faulty, or perhaps the 09s have changed?

I have been told in the past to always make sure all the brackets will fir before tightening anything...i.e. fully install will bolts loose, then go back an tighten. Probably not the most timely advice however.

good luck

Originally Posted by Puttnutt24
I hope you don't mind if I jump in this thread but I've run into a problem trying to install a pair of Bub 7 slip on's on my '09 Street Glide. The right muffler doesn't even come close to lining up with the rear saddlebag support. It's gotta be close to 3/4's of a inch off (towards wheel) I did notice this when I removed the stock muffler. Has anyone else come across this problem? I guess I'll need to loosin' up the entire exhaust system and somehow correct this, Rich

Old 12-28-2008, 11:54 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by gregbenner
I thought the rear "bracket" under the saddlebags was adjustable, i.e. will slide forward or back an inch or so? Maybe my memory is faulty, or perhaps the 09s have changed?

I have been told in the past to always make sure all the brackets will fir before tightening anything...i.e. fully install will bolts loose, then go back an tighten. Probably not the most timely advice however.

good luck
+1 on that...If the rear mounts are like the MO mounts, you have inches of play both ways to install the bracket onto the pipes.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 118 Posts

I'm sorry. I didn't make myself clear. They do slide forward and back, I'm talking about side to side. The muffler needs to be force over (outward) about half an inch to line up with the bolt holes. What I did was loosen the entire system up, install the mufflers and then retighten everything up starting at the exhaust flanges and work my way back. It helped. Thx for responding, Rich

Old 12-30-2008, 05:53 PM
lennyhd2002
Advanced

Originally Posted by FYRDOC
Now try popping some baffles from BCT in there and see what you think!!!! Even louder!!
whats BCT???

Old 12-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Airpump
Road Captain

Originally Posted by lennyhd2002
I JUST GOT SOME V&H BIG SHOT DUALS FOR CHRISTMAS AND IM GONNA INSTALL THEM TONIGHT AND WANT TO KNOW IF IT IS OKAY TO JUST INTALL AND DRIVE WITHOUT MAPING AND TUNING AND FUEL PAKS AND AND ALL THAT AOTHER B.S.. i HAVE A 08 STREET GLIDE.
Basically you haven't accomplished anything with the exception of creating a little noise.
You should either have the stage 1 done that includes the S/E air filter and backing plate or purchase yourself a PCIII USB.
You can then purchase an Arlen Ness Big Sucker or any other model of your liking.
Your fuel/air mixture will change and the adjustment can be made using the correct map. Timing can also be altered. The maps can be obtain on this site or from the PCIII website.
If your machine is under warranty the stage 1 will not void it if performed by a dealer. I'm not so sure about the PCIII

No more air in = no more air out = no more HP, just noise

Quick Reply: Vance & hines pipes install question?