Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Andrew's cam conversion kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008 | 12:22 PM
electra glide
|
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Andrew's cam conversion kit?

Have seen this Andrew's cam conversion kit which allows you to run an 07 style TC96 cam hydraulic tensioner etc. in an 06 or earlier TC88. Anybody try it yet. Have an 05 FLHT and don't really wanna run gear driven cams, don't care for the noise, but really wanna get rid of those poor designed stock cams. Sick of changing them out every 20,000 miles.

Old 12-26-2008 | 12:39 PM
kb5rnl
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did it last Nov. on my '02 Heritage. The Kit and 26N Cams. Slick set up, quite, nice response, larger oil pump, no camplate bearing to worrie about and fairly easy install.

John

Old 12-26-2008 | 01:48 PM
oljim49
Cruiser

Did to my `03 Ultra along with a 1550 kit and race tuner in June.....best $ I've spent on it!

Old 12-26-2008 | 02:48 PM
obwhan
Advanced

Hey oljim49 I am doing the same thing to mine right now . Just need to finish the exaust and oil it up. Used the 26g cams. I have a SERT but having trouble finding a MAP for this. could you tell me what you are using. I am new to the sert thing. Thanks for any help Al

Old 12-26-2008 | 03:02 PM
oljim49
Cruiser

Originally Posted by obwhan
Hey oljim49 I am doing the same thing to mine right now . Just need to finish the exaust and oil it up. Used the 26g cams. I have a SERT but having trouble finding a MAP for this. could you tell me what you are using. I am new to the sert thing. Thanks for any help Al
Bud, I had the guy that did the work do the tuning (Brett @ Buckminn's H-D in Xenia, Oh) as I'm far from being a wrench. To my knowledge, the MAP came with the tuner.....sorry I can't be of more help here.

Old 12-26-2008 | 03:08 PM
obwhan
Advanced

Thanks for the reply I will keep looking Al

Old 12-26-2008 | 03:12 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by electra glide
Have seen this Andrew's cam conversion kit which allows you to run an 07 style TC96 cam hydraulic tensioner etc. in an 06 or earlier TC88. Anybody try it yet. Have an 05 FLHT and don't really wanna run gear driven cams, don't care for the noise, but really wanna get rid of those poor designed stock cams. Sick of changing them out every 20,000 miles.
What makes you think the gear drive set-up is going to be noisy on your bike? Do you have excessive crank runout? Noise generally comes from the gear lash not being set properly.

I put gear drive cams in my '99 RKC and it ran as quiet as the stock chain set-up did. If your motor is in good shape and the install is done properly, there is not a noticeable difference in noise in a gear drive set-up. There is also nothing wrong with doing the conversion kit you are asking about.

Zach

Old 12-26-2008 | 04:51 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggzed
What makes you think the gear drive set-up is going to be noisy on your bike? Do you have excessive crank runout? Noise generally comes from the gear lash not being set properly.

I put gear drive cams in my '99 RKC and it ran as quiet as the stock chain set-up did. If your motor is in good shape and the install is done properly, there is not a noticeable difference in noise in a gear drive set-up. There is also nothing wrong with doing the conversion kit you are asking about.

Zach
The only downside is the limited selection of cams available should the owner decide on a different build in the future and a cam change as part of the build.

Old 12-26-2008 | 06:31 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

Ping - Just to clarify, are you referring to a limited selection of cams for gear drive applications, or for the Andrews conversion?

Zach

Old 12-26-2008 | 06:42 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I did the conversion back in February using the 26N cams. Got about 16,000 miles on it now, all is good. Valve train noise is down maybe 40-50% and I attribute that to the new style oil pump.

My idea was to ride it another 50,000 miles and then do the 95" big bore kit with head work. But after the performance boost from the cam, I'm not sure if I can wait that long.

Quick Reply: Andrew's cam conversion kit?