Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown neutral light!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 01:44 AM
AIRHEAD
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown neutral light!

I have replaced the neutral bulb three times this year, the bulb looks silver and shiney when it blows, using stock bulbs, this in a 03 Ultra Clasic, has anyone esle had this problem?? I feel that something is using the grounding side of the circit, checked the switch no probblems there. Have checked the ground on the bike, the fuel pump uses the same stud as the lamp so not sure where to go from here, apprieciate any help. Thanks.

Old 04-12-2006, 02:55 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: Blown neutral light!

I've had a bunch of Harleys over the past 30 years and have never blown a neutral light bulb. You have got to have a short in the wire somewhere. Have you checked to see if it is pinched anywhere?

Old 04-12-2006, 10:26 AM
thunderbirdblue2
Tourer

Or you could be touching with the bulb with your fingers... this leaves oil on the bulb and causes them to prematurely blow...

Old 04-12-2006, 10:40 AM
AIRHEAD
Stage IV

Have traced the wires back to main harnes, found no cuts pinches abrasions or anything that would caus a feed back, it seems more like a surge than a short, this system uses the neurtal switch as a ground to make the light come on, so a short in the loop would blow a fuse or keep the light on all the time, depending on which side of the light ith shor was on. Thanks for the help.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:42 AM
AIRHEAD
Stage IV

The type of bulb in the cluster is a low volt lamp, there not quartz. While touching them will not hurt them, it is not a good habet to get into of touching them, Thanks for the help.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:50 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

I wish we could be of more help to you. This is one of those little problems that can drive you crazy[:@].

Old 04-12-2006, 10:53 AM
AIRHEAD
Stage IV

Gentlemen I have been riding Harleys for quite some time , started when I was 14, Iam 50 now, have had a lot of exp inworking with all type of bikes, this problem with the neutral lamp has me stummped, The lamp does not explode or anythin like that, It just burns out at a rapid rate, when it goes it leaves the inside of the bulb with a shinny silver color, like the metal in the glass has vaperized or something, Thank you for your replies, I think I may have to do a ground jump to the front of the bike(add a new wire from the main ground to the front of the bike) this would get rid of any ground loop that the lamp is taking. Its the only thing that I have not tried or used to elemanate the problem. Thanks.

Old 04-12-2006, 12:35 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Possibly the socket has gone bad. If the bulb is loose, heat will be generated, taking out the bulb sooner.