Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RUB vs. Achievement

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 10:04 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

I think the term RUB refers more towards attatude than money.
If someone can't stand for me not to know how well they are living
or how bad i'm living or how much better they are than me, then I
would have to concider them a RUB. I would not want to ride with
them because they would want to eat or stay at places that i could
not afford

Old 12-25-2008, 10:09 AM
blueflht
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the diff between a rub and a biker is that the rub buys all his gear and scoot at 1 time has someone ride the new bike home for him then trailers it to all the "hip" biker events. a biker picks up his stuff as the yrs and needs go by rides his scoot to the places he wants to go and never tries to impress anyone with what he has. its about being in the wind with friends not what someone thinks of them. true bikers dont care what you ride harley metric or moped just that you ride.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:16 AM
rickoshay45
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the things that always bothers me when I hear the term "RUB", is that the people being put down are largely responsible for Harley's success. If not for the Boomers either rediscovering or discovering riding, Harley would not be what it is today.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:23 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a Harley Davidson, that is why I am not a RUB.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:27 AM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Scorpion07
I think the term probably came about when some guy's, with a boatload of extra cash, walked into a Harley dealer bought a bike, loaded it up with accessories, had someone install/tune/test it, bought all the HD clothing, joined all the clubs, and still couldn't ride and/or didn't understand what it meant to have the wind blowin in your face! In other words more a show then a passion.
That is pretty much my personal opinion of a RUB. It's just the way people are. I spotted a HD in a neighbor shed so I asked him if he road? That was like duh! Has a motorcycle don't he? (But that was the point of the question) Had a nice conversation, seemed like a cool dude. Any way, the bike is a garage queen, and he doesn't ride if it is over 85* or under 70. It's like WTF! Lived there 3 years and not once did I see him riding. I'm no Iron Butt but I certainly couldn't see spending money on something and not using it. To me its like buying a 50' LCD TV to watch 30 minuets of TV a week!

Old 12-25-2008, 10:31 AM
fliphd
Tourer
Location: West central Illinois in the Mississippi river bottoms
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just love to ride period. As long as the fellow rider can handle what they are settin on I'll ride with em. But I can't even pronounce let alone spell some of the words in this thread!

Old 12-25-2008, 10:32 AM
1stultra
Cruiser

I think I actually had socioeconomic status once and if I remember right penicillan cleared it right up. So we don't need to be concerned with that anymore. There are too many nicknames and acronyms flying around on the internet. I never seem to be able to keep up. Five or 500 miles, where one lives, what one chooses to ride or who they choose to ride with, it's all riding and it's all good. Merry Christmas and may we all stay safe in the new year.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:36 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I think of a RUB as a person who has a Harley mostly as a garage ornament. It's a toy he takes out every month or so to bike night or to special functions at the dealership. He also has two or more cars/trucks, a boat, large house--and plenty of disposable income. He might trailer or truck his bike to Sturgis or other rallies once every blue moon, but wouldn't even consider riding it there. It is old after 2-3 years and must buy a new one even though it only has 2k miles on it, which like the previous will be adored with a plethora of expensive bling items.

IMO I don't qualify. I'm not rich (but what is that?), own a Harley to ride it, put plenty of miles on every one I've owned, add bling very sparingly, and usually keep a bike about 10 years or 100k miles, whichever comes first. My last one was 9 years/106k miles, and I don't care if everyone else has a newer bike. I own it to ride it, not impress anyone else.

I also think "RUB" is synonymous with "Rolex rider." This has nothing to do with watches, but an attitude to buy expensive items to impress other people. I wear a Rolex that I bought 38 years ago in Hong Kong for $140, but I'm not a "Rolex rider."

Last edited by iclick; 12-25-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:40 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Don't care what I am labled just know that I love to ride .. Pretty handy with a wrench but know my limits to this as well.. Love riding in charity events and other Meets and Greets but can enjoy it just as much Riding Alone as well ...

Old 12-25-2008, 10:52 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

If you just took the words “Rich Urban Biker” it wouldn’t be a derogatory term, but a snub at people who make more money than you.

But I think the term “Rich Urban Biker” is a derogatory term for people who buy a $20,000 Harley, add tons of extra goodies, then don’t ride it. They just believe people think “Hey I’m cool, I’ve got a Harley”. But they aren’t, they are just snobby rich bastards. Like my country club has. I joined the club to play golf there, not to try and out do anybody, like some of them.

I paid cash for mine, added tons of stuff (paid cash for) but nobody will call me a RUB, because I ride it and enjoy riding it….and I ride with whoever else wants to ride, rich or poor or anybody in between. However I have noticed that there aren’t to many of the rich guys riding with us. Some, but not many and if they are rich I don’t know it. They don’t flaunt it.

So if somebody calls you a RUB, just tell them "Hey I ride mine, don't put me in that catagory".

Quick Reply: RUB vs. Achievement