Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD and Iron Butt

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 08:07 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it's more of a rider thing than a bike thing. I know a few Iron Butters, & most just have a different attitude about riding. OTOH, I also know a guy with an iron head Sportster that wanted an iron butt certificate. He checked the carb, changed plugs, gassed up, & ran the prescribed 1000 mile loop in well under 24 hours. Stopped & got all the correct documentation too. Didn't realize till he got home that he still had the crescent wrench he change the plugs with in his back pocket........

I've never been inclined to hammer out miles just for that purpose, but on arriving at the house with 875 miles for the day a while back I realized that the other 125 wouldn't have much of a problem.......other than convincing my wife to keep ridin'...

Old 12-24-2008, 08:13 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,354 Likes on 2,533 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis Murawski
A couple of years ago there was an Iron Butt event in Texas that was a charity fund raiser for the Scottish Rite Hospital. It was called the Waltz Across Texas and required a thousand mile ride in 24 hours. I was one of six Harleys that decided to do the fund raiser just for fun. At the pre-event dinner, a BMW-riding doctor got up and had a few words of advice for the "new" Harley Iron Butt riders. He asked the Harley guys to be courteous and stay in the right hand portion of the highway lanes. This would allow the other riders to avoid the Harley oil spills along the route. He also asked that we take the time to kick the parts that rattle off our bikes off the road surface and into the ditch. Everybody laughed, including the Harley guys.

All six Harleys finished the 1,000 miles in just under 18 hours. We got back to finish line hotel at dark-oclock in the morning and started to party in the parking lot. The hotel owner came out and offered us a free room if we moved the party in doors to allow the other guests to sleep. Each Harley rider was at the awards banquet. Oh, and the doc on the BMW blew his tranny in Houston and didn't make the banquet.
ah, sweet revenge

Originally Posted by honestbob
Gonna do it this year, 1,089 mi from my house to Tulsa. Are you doing it again ?
not sure yet. distance from my house to tulsa is 450 miles. to iron butt it, i'd have to start off south, then go west via san antonio, north to ft worth, and then oklahoma city. thinking about it though. i guess it would depend on how much interest there is locally. wouldn't want to do it by myself, if i could get at least a couple more riders, then it might be a go. see ya in tulsa..... come up and say hi, i'll be on the white road king, wearing a black cvma vest .... shouldn't be hard to find, lol.

Last edited by skratch; 12-24-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:26 AM
DRAFT1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bikejocky
Just curious
Why do you think there are not more HD's or any brand cruiser for that matter, on the Iron Butt rosters?
I think it may be that most cruiser riders just ride more for fun and not to impress.

here is a list I found while surfing the Iron Butt Sight.
http://www.ironbutt.org/intro/ibrfacts.html
If you look at the rosters for the Saddle Sore 1000's and Butt Burner 1500 milers, you will find more HDs. However, for the rallies, the sport touring bikes are the bikes of choice. To be competitive, the rider is able to cover more ground, more comfortalby on these bikes because of the wind protection. Also, most have much larger fuel capacity. My ST1300 held 7.7 gallons, which would carry me about 280 to 300 miles non stop. Now before somebody beats me up on what I just said, I can attest that from owning some of these sport tourers that its true. Some of these bikes with full faring and electric windshields will keep wind and rain off of you like no other. What does this mean? Well, its less toll on the rider, and if your on a 10 day 10,000 mile run, it makes a lot of difference. I really don't think there is an ego thing going on here, it's just the love for riding. These guys take it very serious, and are some of the best trained and saftey oriented riders in the world. I love my HD and it is as capable as any to cover long distance rides, but there are other bikes out there that have their own advantages. I wish I had a stable for some extras myself. I know what I would have for a solo ride. I hope this is a straight answer to your question.

Last edited by DRAFT1; 12-24-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:31 AM
MillerTed
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bikejocky
Just curious
Why do you think there are not more HD's or any brand cruiser for that matter, on the Iron Butt rosters?
I think it may be that most cruiser riders just ride more for fun and not to impress.

here is a list I found while surfing the Iron Butt Sight.
http://www.ironbutt.org/intro/ibrfacts.html
I have done 2 iron butts so far. They were done on an 03 Road King Standard which i set up for long distance rides. 1115 miles in 19 hours. the bike has to be confortable. had a rider back rest, cruise control, great highway pegs, stock exhaust, pants that do not blow like crazy in the wind. it was fun. then 2 years later we did the Bun Burner Gold, 1500 miles in 24. It was actually easy and fun. came in at 1518 with only 2 minutes to spare. same bike. have to reduce the things that can fatigue you easy. looking at doing our 3rd one of these days which will be the back to back 1000. 2 days, 2000 miles. we now have an 08 Ultra and its more confortable than the RK. ted

Old 12-24-2008, 12:49 PM
TampaJim
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DRAFT1 is correct. Harleys are just fine for the 1,000 & 1,500 mile butt burners but the more intense rallies call for a bike with more fuel capacity, better mileage and good weather protection. Those guys think nothing of going 300 miles between stops and indeed must do so to meet the daily requirements. You could do it on a Harley but it would require a lot more effort.

Last edited by TampaJim; 12-24-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TampaJim
DRAFT1 is correct. Harleys are just fine for the 1,000 & 1,500 mile butt burners but the more intense rallies call for a bike with more fuel capacity, better mileage and good weather protection. Those guys think nothing of going 300 miles between stops and indeed must do so to meet the daily requirements. You could do it on a Harley but it would require a lot more effort.
Agreed! I heard of one Goldwing rider who converted the saddle bags and truck into fuel tanks. He carried something like 18 gallons total and could make between 550 and 600 miles between fiill ups and generally didn't stop until he needed fuel. The guy had to have an iron bladder as well as an iron butt!

I see no reason why the same couldn't be done to an Electra Glide if the owner was so inclined. I'm just not that masochistic!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:54 PM
Dennis Murawski
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
He carried something like 18 gallons total and could make between 550 and 600 miles between fiill ups and generally didn't stop until he needed fuel. The guy had to have an iron bladder as well as an iron butt!
No joke, I spoke to one Iron Butt guy that used nursing home external catheters with the tubing running down his leg and just below his boot so he didn't have make rest stops. I'd be careful to not follow too close behind these guys or they may ruin your paint job.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Ummagumma
Road Master

Received 1,413 Likes on 624 Posts

I've done the SS1000 (24hrs), SS2000 (48hrs), Lake Michigan 1000, GLakes in 100hrs and this past fall a Border to Border (Mexico to Canada in 36 hrs) and all done on Road Glides.

I've seen Harleys with fuel cells, gps, blue tooth and everything else the other brands have. My 09 with the larger gas tank gets me further down the road with fewer stops. Harley's can run with any other dog on the block on these rides.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:02 AM
shekmark
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been planning to do one in the spring. Wanted to go sooner but the weather got too cold here for 1000 miles. Can't wait.