Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need HELP! thinking of trading if I can't fix it

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 06:50 AM
lawnmower man
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ddm502001
My '03 RK has this same phenomena, got worse with new tires so I started a little experimenting, adjust tire and shock pressures lower but slowly, mine leveled out at 33 front and 36 rear with 5 psi in the shocks. Has made a world of difference coming up on heavy truck traffic and so far no adverse wear patterns.

I am no lightweight either, bumping 280 most weeks and with all the surface area quite a lot of wind buffet goin' on.
I will try that tommorrow

Old 12-27-2008, 07:00 AM
lawnmower man
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Jinks
Easiest way to explain both is to point you to a Google search. Baggers have a pretty short rake in the first place, & if someone did something wrong while powder coating the front end, or hit something & bent the forks slightly, you could have a problem. Fork tubes bend easier than you might think, & can have a small amount of bend without lookin' like it. Google for a rake/trail tutorial. Ahh, I did it for you [URL="http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/rake_and_trail.htm"][/URL] Or Google "motorcycle rake trail"

Steering dampers are basically just a small shock absorber clamped between one fork leg & the frame. Also found with a Google search.
Thanks, Lot of good info on that site.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:23 AM
Mike5959
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trade it in

Old 12-27-2008, 07:25 AM
D34
Tourer

Trade the SOB

Old 12-27-2008, 07:38 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You stated that the forks were powdercoated. Perhaps they were an exchange set and the bushings have some wear, or the fluid is not the correct type. Does it appear to be lowered? If it is then maybe the pre-load is incorrect, the same could be true if performance springs were installed. You should probably take the forks apart and do an "autopsy on them, maybe you have the emulators installed and they might be out of adjustment and lastly if a performance package was installed in the forks and your size is different from the previous owner, the spring rates and emulator setting would be off, that can make for an evil handling bike.
Because the bike only had 1000 miles on it the previous owner may have had the same problem and liquadated because of it. Just some food for thought. Can you contact the previous owner or the shop that worked on it and find out what was done to the bike, and do you have each bag loaded with the same amount of weight??? Try shifting you seating position a little left and right to ensure your weight distribution is centered. Hope this helps.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:56 AM
lawnmower man
Cruiser

Originally Posted by peppi
I think before doing anything else, I would service the front end fork oil. Many bikes have been in service with unequal amounts of oil in the forks which will give you some strange handling characteristics.
It's easy enough to do and the cost shouldn't be a factor. The stock oil is "E" which is a 5 weight, I would use the "B" from the dealer which is 10 wt and will improve the front end feel considerably. Going to the SE weight will make the front end rather stiff.
Measure what drains out of each leg to determine if they were unequally filled before. Even if it wasn't the problem, you should still do the service at that miles anyhow.
Thanks for the info, since the last post I had the service done on the forks with the oil you recommended. The amounts in each fork were off some, that improved ride quite a bit. Also while it was down I took a stock wheel off another flh and put on front just too see if it might have something to do with tire or wheel. Rode a whole lot better. Put another new dunlop on front and no problems. I guess you can get a bad tire even if it is new.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:49 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lawnmower man
Thanks for the info, since the last post I had the service done on the forks with the oil you recommended. The amounts in each fork were off some, that improved ride quite a bit. Also while it was down I took a stock wheel off another flh and put on front just too see if it might have something to do with tire or wheel. Rode a whole lot better. Put another new dunlop on front and no problems. I guess you can get a bad tire even if it is new.
Next time you have those forks apart you should install new bushings.
These are rather inexpensive and easy to install.
Just be sure you order the parts correctly.
There is a difference in the upper & lower bushings.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:44 AM
ben67zl1
Cruiser

The cure is obvious you need to replace that front end with a true highway front end from a ROADGLIDE thus finally having a smooth, dependable, and safe bike. There are several posts on replacing that dangerous non aerodynamic mess on the front of your bike!

Old 01-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Piggy791
Novice

I've heard that the roadglide is nice on the highway, but eww, they're so ugly! Not as ugly as a goldwing though.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:21 PM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Hey Gold Wings aint that ugly, have ya looked at a Victory Vision close? Now thats what ya call ugly!

Quick Reply: Need HELP! thinking of trading if I can't fix it