Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need HELP! thinking of trading if I can't fix it

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 07:41 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

What tires/wheels are you running?

Are the front wheel spacers installed correctly?

Is the belt tension per spec and the rear wheel aligned?

Is the bike a salvage title or has the bike ever had significant front end or other damage?

Obviously, something is wrong with the bike 'cause what you describe is not typical. Going through the wake of 18 wheelers creates definite buffeting, and heavy crosswinds will influence the bike, but running 75+ mph on interstates on calm days shouldn't create cause for concern as you've described.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:43 AM
BK Meyers
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front fork oil

Originally Posted by lawnmower man
Replaced rear tire @10000 miles and front @ 15000 and aligned.
You mentioned that you had not changed fork oil yet. 15K+ miles may have the old oil "beat up" pretty well. Recently had the fork oil changed in my Road King (I had put over 20K miles on it) and I can feel a difference in the front end and how it reacts. May want to give it a try.

Hope you get it worked out,
BK

Old 12-24-2008, 07:44 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lawnmower man
I was thinking the same thing on the neck bearings, that is the only logical problem. I bought the bike used, had 1000 miles on it and really did not get on the interstate for a while, but it has done it since I've had it. I am running 36 in front and 40 in rear with 12 psi in shocks. It really is hard to explain to someone who hasn't felt it they all say im grimpping to hard or oversteering, that is until they ride it. I'm just glad to know it's not all the batwingers that do this cause I love this bike.
Sounds like you've done all the correct things, but since it was used (& you appear to really like the bike) it might be worth the effort & expense to re-check the bearings in the neck & check the rake/trail. It's unlikely that rake/trail is off, but the symptoms you describe all point to the front end. If all else fails, & you want to keep the bike, you might look into a steering damper.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:48 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I have not had any similar issues with my Ultra and have not checked the fall away on it yet. (I will do that over the winter.) However, on my Dyna, I have learned the adjusting the fall away per the manual results in a sloppy ride. I tighten the neck bearings just slightly more than the manual suggests and the ride is perfect.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:29 AM
lawnmower man
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

What tires/wheels are you running?

Are the front wheel spacers installed correctly?

Is the belt tension per spec and the rear wheel aligned?

Is the bike a salvage title or has the bike ever had significant front end or other damage?

Obviously, something is wrong with the bike 'cause what you describe is not typical. Going through the wake of 18 wheelers creates definite buffeting, and heavy crosswinds will influence the bike, but running 75+ mph on interstates on calm days shouldn't create cause for concern as you've described.
5'10", 175 lbs. Stock wheels and dunlops, have checked the front spacers and belt tension and alignment, bike runs straight down the road with no hands and no shimmy or shake or bounce. Bike is not salvage and has never been dropped. The only thing I Know left to check is if the fork oil amount is same in both forks. Checked all my fairing mounts when I put in hogtunes, thought thet might have been loose or broke.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:35 AM
lawnmower man
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Jinks
Sounds like you've done all the correct things, but since it was used (& you appear to really like the bike) it might be worth the effort & expense to re-check the bearings in the neck & check the rake/trail. It's unlikely that rake/trail is off, but the symptoms you describe all point to the front end. If all else fails, & you want to keep the bike, you might look into a steering damper.
How do I check the rake and I haven't heard of a steering damper, how does that work? The rake could be off because that is what feels like is off, fine steering in twisties and low speed but feels like bike gets lighter in front end the faster you go. The front end has been powdercoated so I might check this out, have had several people look @ it and said everything looked fine.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:29 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just wondering? Is this your first bike with a fairing? My first fairing bike took a lot of getting used to when I was on the X-way at high speeds, the buffeting seemed pronounced and the steering was lighter. I don't notice it now.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:05 PM
mazz
Road Master
Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts

like honestbob said try another bat wing bike you may feel the same way
first time i went on a high bridge or overpass with a bagger i almost sh#4 but you get used to it quickly that front tire is on the ground believe me
Mazz

Old 12-24-2008, 01:58 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine had the same sort of problem and it ended up being a motor alignment problem in the chassis. The dealer re aligned the motor and it was like riding a different motorcycle. Made a HUGE difference.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:03 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
This sounds sorta' stupid but it's about the only thing you did not mention checking. What pressure are you running in your tires?
This was the only thing I could think of as well.

Quick Reply: Need HELP! thinking of trading if I can't fix it