Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How is SG suspension different than Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 10:53 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,268 Likes on 7,397 Posts

Originally Posted by primo
shocks have one less inch of travel (at least the older ones do) and yes the stock seat is harsh.

Primo
+1

:d

Old 12-25-2008, 05:00 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

I love the stock seat. Check your air pressure in the rear shocks. Again they are already one inch lower then your Ultra. I normally run 12 lbs. in the shocks, I'm 190lbs.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:19 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Consider swapping out the OEM rear shocks for Progressive 440's.

Couldn't stand the stock seat and replaced it with the Sundowner touring seat.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:43 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Plow64
Consider swapping out the OEM rear shocks for Progressive 440's.

Couldn't stand the stock seat and replaced it with the Sundowner touring seat.
440's are one of the worst riding shocks on the market if not the worst. For the same money you may find much better shocks available including Ohlins. We are involved in suspension products for a living and have tested many brands and compared them side by side on the same bike. Do your own research before spending your hard earned money and stop looking at the glossy in book ad's, swaying your judgment. For those who recommend Progressive anything, try other brands than decide for yourself. It is up to you to improve your knowledge through experience.

Last edited by FastHarley; 12-25-2008 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:32 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
440's are one of the worst riding shocks on the market if not the worst. For the same money you may find much better shocks available including Ohlins. We are involved in suspension products for a living and have tested many brands and compared them side by side on the same bike. Do your own research before spending your hard earned money and stop looking at the glossy in book ad's, swaying your judgment. For those who recommend Progressive anything, try other brands than decide for yourself. It is up to you to improve your knowledge through experience.
I use to agree when I had the 440 std rate springs, I went to the H duty springs and had major improvements. But Ohlins are probably the best on the market.
Another mention, Sg front forks are 1" lower than other touring bikes. I was going to put the HD lowering kit on my RG, and the dealer told me it was the stock SG spring kit.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:00 AM
HarryDavidson
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

If your dealer is correct, then why does Harley offer the 1" front end lowering kit for use with the FLHX?

From http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US :

54564-09
IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.
Fits '09 Touring models (except FLHR, FLHRC, FLTRSE3, FLHTCUTG and Police models). Must only be installed on vehicles equipped with ProfileŽ Low Touring Shocks P/N 54635-09. Can be installed on FLHX models with Original Equipment rear shocks.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
For the same money you may find much better shocks available including Ohlins. We are involved in suspension products for a living and have tested many brands and compared them side by side on the same bike. Do your own research before spending your hard earned money and stop looking at the glossy in book ad's, swaying your judgment.
Since you've already done the research, how about posting the test results on the forum for the benefit of all?

Old 12-25-2008, 09:25 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Since you've already done the research, how about posting the test results on the forum for the benefit of all?

I was thinking the same thing. I don't even know what to look for to compare these shocks.

Beary

Old 12-25-2008, 09:27 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

The purpose of this post was to inform all members of other options available to them as far as suspension goes and to give them the opportunity to expand their options. I am no longer a forum sponsor but just another member here. As far as me giving other members what to buy generally is like asking me to provide information on what wife to get. In all instances, it is personal requirements. In both cases it is up to you to do your own research for your personal needs and requirements. Anything worth having extracts a price(time/education) on your part or just pay someone who knows and than you are depending on some one else. Read...search...evaluate...than decide, or not.

PS: Beary >> Sorry, You posted while I was typing but try the internet, look on my site and learn how a shock should work and see what is inside of them. Take the time to learn how they work and what components make them work along with the technology on how they work. Search the internet and make a list of what your objectives are along with a price. That is a place to start. Asking other members generally, who only have limited experience in riding and more importantly with no other products other than what they have (justify what they bought) is not the way to go IMO.

Last edited by FastHarley; 12-25-2008 at 09:37 AM. Reason: added comment for another member
Old 12-25-2008, 09:39 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryDavidson
If your dealer is correct, then why does Harley offer the 1" front end lowering kit for use with the FLHX?

From http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US :

54564-09
IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.
Fits '09 Touring models (except FLHR, FLHRC, FLTRSE3, FLHTCUTG and Police models). Must only be installed on vehicles equipped with ProfileŽ Low Touring Shocks P/N 54635-09. Can be installed on FLHX models with Original Equipment rear shocks.
Maybe because although it is a 1" lowering kit for everything else, it is the stock replacement for a SG (I notice it states "Fits FHLX with OEM rear shocks (they are 1" lower)." It is not stating it as a lowering kit for a SG but an also fits item. My interpetation.

Quick Reply: How is SG suspension different than Ultra?