Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor oil out the A/F!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 05:01 PM
vickon
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Motor oil out the A/F!!

This has been happening for the past couple of weeks; bike sounds and rides good, no misses, no hiccups, no hesitation, no backfires, no loss of power.

After riding, after I park and sits for a while I find motor oil accumulated on the bottom of the a/f and it drips down to the timing cover, couple of days ago it got to the point where the wind splatered/spread it over the rear top curve of the D&D pipes, what a f**king mess. No oil seen from any other area just from the a/f.

Other than a overfilled crankcase, which I am sure it is not as I checked the oil level while hot on the jiffy stand and the oil level is exactly on the line, not above.

1- What the hell can possibly be causing this?
2- It is positively motor oil.
3- What should I be looking for?
4- Any related recalls or service bulletins?

The bike is a 2008 FLHTC with about 10K miles, still warranty left.
Redline 20W60 synth in the crankcase. Only mods are D&D pipes, a FuelPak and a Stage I with K&N filter (not over oiled).

Thanks.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:05 PM
spizzyman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me, if I am on the line when hot, I am slightly overfilled. I know, it don't make that much sense. Without the back of the football in place any oil that comes through has no place to sit. My Honda did a little of the same thing.

spiz

Old 12-22-2008, 05:09 PM
jmeyer58
Road Captain
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Check and see if you have the older style Stage I kit. I believe the part number is 29773-02A. If so there are two vacuum hoses behind the air filter. On my bike one of the hoses was dry rotted and leaking oil as you describe. Take the AF off and check those hoses, I'll bet that is the problem. Part number for the hoses is 29476-99. The newer kit has passages that direct any oil right into the throttle body intake and it should not happen. The key word is should.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:12 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cybermunster
Redline 20W60 synth in the crankcase.
Isn't that oil a bit thick for you this time of year? If I keep 20W50 in too late or put it in too early here in Indiana I get spit on, too. Doesn't matter the tank level if it's too thick to drain from the heads to the crankcase quickly enough.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine did that right after they install the Stage 1 Air filter kit.
They forgot a gasket or something back there.
You got something that needs checked out. It will be a simple fix.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:22 PM
vickon
Road Warrior

Thanks for the quick replies and help, much appreciated.

Jmeyer & Texas >> will definitively check those hoses and gaskets, even though the Stage I is barely 6 months old, we'll see.
glens >> Sth. Florida, no complaints with the 20W60 at all, lowest it'll get here one or two days is lower 50s and thats for just a couple of hours in the early AM, then goes up to 60s or 70s ...sorry guys...8]

thanks again!!

Old 12-22-2008, 05:24 PM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Oil

I have the same issue. I called the dealer the other day to ask about it. I was told that event though the oil level is within specs, that I should drain a bit out. I use to run on the low side of the dipstick and never had a problem.

I have a A/N Big Sucker intake. Arlen Ness also recommended I check my oil level. Said except for some major internal damage it's most likely "over-serviced."

Old 12-22-2008, 05:28 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

I have an '09 RKC. I just did the 1000 mile service, filling the oil up to the full mark when hot. Same thing happened to me, oil puked out of the breather tube (in the A/C assembly). After asking and researching on this website, I found that it's a common occurance when the oil level is beyond half way full on the dipstick. I went home and, using a fluid extractor, I pulled out about a 1/2 quart of oil. I took apart the A/C, cleaned everything up, and since then I've had no problems.

I'll now know better next oil change to only fill it until it's right in the middle of the low/full hash marks (when hot, of course).

Old 12-22-2008, 05:30 PM
vickon
Road Warrior

thanks Steve ..will keep that in mind ...like that term "overserviced"

Old 12-22-2008, 06:23 PM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 596 Likes on 314 Posts

I had that problem too. Lots of folks do, search the site for "oil puking."

I also had the K&N filter.

I tried several things, and running a half quart low does help, as does making sure the bike is warmed up prior to 80mph dashes on the interstate.

Best thing was go to the harley dealer, have the parts guy pull up the parts diagram of the SE air cleaner and buy two of the little rubber thingies that slip onto the head vent nipples and bend around to point into the intake.

That worked for sure.

Quick Reply: Motor oil out the A/F!!