Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor oil out the A/F!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 10:42 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by harleypingman
one of the dumbest, self-serving posts in a long time. Let us know of a documented case of oil in the a/f from use of popular synthetic oils.

Incidentally, if you hang around a while, you'll discover that a lot of hd purchase decisions are made based on the "hearsay" prospective buyers read here, along with many hd accessory purchases.
+1 :d

Old 12-24-2008, 12:36 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by isellharleys
Also - Get rid of the aftermarket oils and run H-D Syn3. Remember...the information you're receiving on these forums is more often than not hearsay that someone got from another forum. Why trust your $20,000 + investment to hearsay???
bwahahahaha, this belongs in the 'dumbest things a hd salesman has said' thread. i can't believe you really said this. what dealership do you work for, so i know where to avoid. tell me, is it going to void my warranty? bwahahahaha......

cybermunster, one other thing you might want to try, and this is not a solution, is to take a womans panty liner (preferably not used, eccch) and stick it to the bottom of the inside of the ac cover. that way, while your bike is finding the level of oil that it wants to be at, you won't end up with it all over your saddlebag, or leg.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:04 PM
vickon
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for all the tips including the panty tip (very logical and convenient)..
Won't be riding again until next year but not worrying about it as I know the problem will be solved with your suggestions, again, thank you all very much.

Have a wonderful Christmas and let the New Year bring us all, peace and joy.

Ride safe.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Bldr1000
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if your bike has after market exhaust pipes on it?. I had an 04 ultra that had vance and hines pipes and a stageone kit. I took the pipes off and put stock pipes back on it and it started blowing oil out the air filter just like you describe.Bldr

Old 12-24-2008, 01:53 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cybermunster
... now that you mention this I didn't have the problem while I was running 15W50, very interesting. Dang I just put this oil in about a month ago..not happy.
No problem. Just do what I did (fairly) recently (I might catch some heat here for this, but I don't care). Drain the oil tank and replace with lighter oil for the rest of the "season". You'll still have as much of the heavier stuff in as is in the rest of the system, but it'll even out after a while. It won't become a thinner oil overall but it'll work just fine.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:01 PM
vickon
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

First of all ...you guys are fking awesome!
I syphooned a bit of oil (less than .25 qt.) from the cranckcase while hot, brought the level to just the bottom line of the top X on the dipstick and voila!! she's back to perfect, no more oil dripping or splattering around, thank God!
I rode her good, WOT, hard dshifts and perfect, not a drop of 20W60 out of the a/f.

Like I've said, you guys always come thru, my thanks and appreciation to all!!

Old 01-06-2009, 06:30 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by isellharleys
Also - Get rid of the aftermarket oils and run H-D Syn3. Remember...the information you're receiving on these forums is more often than not hearsay that someone got from another forum. Why trust your $20,000 + investment to hearsay???
Why trust someone who's trying to advertise/spam for free here and dissing our forum members at the same time, we have a great membership here very knowledgeable folks from all walks of life that are willing to help each other, and share information, not to mention the great friendships that have been made as well, come back when you are ready to pay up!!

Old 01-06-2009, 06:32 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cybermunster
First of all ...you guys are fking awesome!
I syphooned a bit of oil (less than .25 qt.) from the cranckcase while hot, brought the level to just the bottom line of the top X on the dipstick and voila!! she's back to perfect, no more oil dripping or splattering around, thank God!
I rode her good, WOT, hard dshifts and perfect, not a drop of 20W60 out of the a/f.

Like I've said, you guys always come thru, my thanks and appreciation to all!!
That's what it's all about right there, I too run my oil level lower for the same reason, glad you don't have to change the oil on your pants now!!!

Old 01-06-2009, 08:07 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

No problem here until i was blasting down the highway at 90 for 15 miles...had the same problem, i keep mine right at the full mark but that is the only time i get the blowby......

I don't sell harleys, i'm just hearsay........ha ha ha ha hhaaa ha

Old 07-27-2010, 06:36 PM
Texasbrons
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, here it is, more than a year later and this post is still comin in handy. i noticed a dark spot of oil residue on my timing cover under the air intake on my 08 Fatbob. It was right at the cover seam so I thought that it was leaking from there at first. Bolts were tight. Finally, one time while wiping it up, my hand rubbed on the bottom of the air intake and came away with oil. My oil level on the dipstick is at the halfway mark, but this may be a bit high apparently. I removed the Screamin Eagle heavy breather and found oil where it bolts on. I hope this is it!! Thanks for the great posts, very informative.