Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor oil out the A/F!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Here's a very good thread on the subject.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:46 PM
MACHD03
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Syn 3

Originally Posted by isellharleys
Also - Get rid of the aftermarket oils and run H-D Syn3. Remember...the information you're receiving on these forums is more often than not hearsay that someone got from another forum. Why trust your $20,000 + investment to hearsay???
Harley doesn't make oil, so why would you say this. Run oil that is not as good as other brands? What you say about hearsay, maybe true in some instances, but these forums have helped allot of us, where Service Dept at HD dealerships cannot.
So don't bash those trying to help others.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:09 PM
MarkM
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a '99 RK and did my first oil change on it the other day. The manual called for 3.5 quarts and that's what I put in. Checked the level hot, and it was barely to the bottom line. I added almost another quart, and it's still not to the top line yet. I quit adding oil, and will see if I have the seeping problem. The others that said the accuracy of the dipstick is questionable are probably right.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:17 PM
ms3300
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

isellharleys, your advice is crap, just like the Syn3 that Harley sells. No way would I run Syn3 in all three holes of my bike, not ever. Much better oils out there. Just for your information, try M1 20w50, Royal Purple or Spectro Platinum in the crankcase, any good heavy weight gear oil in the tranny and good ol' HD Formula + in primary. Now that is a recipe for a happy scoot.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:31 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

The indy that built my engine told me that he does not fill the engines to the full mark becuase some will puke out the oil while on the dyno.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:07 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cybermunster
glens >> Sth. Florida, no complaints with the 20W60 at all, lowest it'll get here one or two days is lower 50s and thats for just a couple of hours in the early AM, then goes up to 60s or 70s
That's what I said, 20W60 is too heavy for those few days, and probably several either side of them. Drop back to a 15W for a few weeks and I'll practically guarantee it'll stop.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:07 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Mine squirts more than my ex girl, I have the ----Doherty MYSTRE

MYSTFREE was designed and patented by Tim Doherty, founder of Doherty Machine, specifically for the TwinCam 88.

I also run a quart down, still squirts, maybe my bikes telling me to look up my ex...............

Old 12-22-2008, 09:36 PM
vickon
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

glens ..you might just be right, now that you mention this I didn't have the problem while I was running 15W50, very interesting. Dang I just put this oil in about a month ago..not happy.

Anyway can't thank you guys enough for the time and help, never fails you guys come thru.

>> isellharleys, this and other forums hold a world of experience and knowledge, it's up to the "asker" to sort out the BS. I know if I have a question I'll get a good, honest, knowledgeable answer, if not, I wouldn't bother asking.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by isellharleys
Also - Get rid of the aftermarket oils and run H-D Syn3. Remember...the information you're receiving on these forums is more often than not hearsay that someone got from another forum. Why trust your $20,000 + investment to hearsay???
One of the dumbest, self-serving posts in a long time. Let us know of a documented case of oil in the a/f from use of popular synthetic oils.

Incidentally, if you hang around a while, you'll discover that a lot of HD purchase decisions are made based on the "hearsay" prospective buyers read here, along with many HD accessory purchases.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:01 PM
46knuck
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 27 Posts

By error I over filled my '03 Heritage went out for a short ride and at one point really ran up the RPM and the oil cap hit my leg. As luck would have it I did not loose the cap but you can imagine the mess. So I tell this so you know it could be worse.

Never have the oil at or over the full level.

Quick Reply: Motor oil out the A/F!!