Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW rider looking at Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 07:34 PM
harley beemer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW rider looking at Road Glide

Greetings

Not to bore you but I want to give you a bit of history and hoping you can give some unbiased opinions.

I've been riding since I was 16 and I'm in my mid 50's. I've lived in upstate NY all my life so our riding seasons are short by comparisons... about 6000 - 7500 miles a year. I don't ride to work 15 miles just to let my bike sit in a parking lot all day. When I go for a ride, it is usually 2 up with the wife and anything less than 100 miles is unusual. We take a few 3 or 4 day trips a few times a season.

I have ridden BMW bikes since 1978, 4 airheads and 2 oilheads. My current bike is a 2004 BMW R1150RT. The 1150RT is sport touring bike with a 100 hp twin cylinder, 4 valve engine, shaft drive, 6 speed tranny, ABS w/ a full fairing w/ electric windshield, sidecases and topcase. I love the BMW bike. Maybe a few of you have had one and can attest to my liking.

I have been considering making a change to Harley for 3 reasons.
One: dealerships - with BMW the nearest dealer is 102 miles a way, although I don't have to see one often.
Two: my knees are really start to bother me after about a 100 miles. In the sport touring position, your knees are slightly bent under you.
Three: Harley now has ABS Brakes and that is probably the most critical reason that now is the time to make the change. I would not own a bike w/o ABS now that I have had them.

I am looking at the 2009 Road Glide in Dark Blue Pearl with the tour package and lowers with ABS.

So, my questions to you are these:
Do you you think I will be happy with the Road Glide and why?
Have you ever owned a BMW RT and how doe it compare?
Any thing else you want to mention, feel free.

Rob

Old 12-21-2008, 07:43 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

First off welcome. You might want to ask more detailed question's about touring bikes in the touring forum. My answer is that it is comparing apples to oranges. Two completely different machines.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:46 PM
whoop72
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not to state the obvious, but you just need to go ride one at the hd dealership. think about renting for a day. road glide riders are very high on their bikes, but only you can know if it's right for u.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:51 PM
msh134
Road Warrior

i have never been on a bmw but i sure do love my road glide. harley has done its best work so far in my opinion on the 09 bikes

Old 12-21-2008, 07:51 PM
DRAFT1
Tourer

Bob,
I can't attest for a BMW but I am coming off of the following, Kawasaki Concourse, Triumph Sprint ST, Honda ST1100 and Honda ST1300. I have also been riding since I was about 9. This is my first HD. I road my brothers Ultra Classic before making my mind up. My riding habits are about like yours. Usually 2 up where ever I go. The wife likes the additional comfort and floor boards on the RG. It took me a while to get used to having feet forward but I to am very relaxed on this bike. I did need the back rest because of lower back problems and also added the ultra seat to my bike. The stock RG seat is going to be to small for your pillion. Since owning bikes with excellent wind protection, I noticed a great deal of wind noise and buffeting on my RG. I have added the lowers (this helped) and have a clearview (+1" medium) windshield ordered as we speak. I hope this will correct the problem. As far as highway riding, I have not owned a bike that is more plush feeling. It actually feels light to me because it is so low. All of my sport touing bikes seemed much higher. It does take getting use to a beefy v-twin after riding sewing machines for so long, but I do like the attitude of the bike. I would suggest trying to rent a RG and an Ultra. The ride of both are about the same to me. The only difference is the roominess of the RG dash verses the Ultra batwing. I hope this helps. Good luck on your decision.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:55 PM
valleybuck
Tourer

I changed from a Goldwing gl1800 to a Roadglde,but I had a electraglide classic befor the roadglide.I also do alot of 2 up riding with my wife.for me the Roadglide is more comfortable because of the seating position.I am 6ft3" and the sit up position on the wing hurt my knees after awhile.I sometimes miss the power of the wing but the roadglide has enough to keep me happy.I would ride one for awhile befor you make your mind up.Some Harley dealers will rent some will let you test ride.Good luck.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:58 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Welcome.....
I have an '05 RG, and a good friend has an 1100 KT(?) he has the fixed fairing, electric windshield, bags, trunk, and various goodies. I know my RG has about the same range as his, sits lower, and is more akin the going down the road on a comfy chair, than a thoroughbred. However don't let that "comfy chair" fool you...the RG is one fine handling motorcycle. I can carve Deal's Gap, and be fresh after riding from Raleigh to do so. 500 mile rides are a breeze, there is nothing to a SS1000 or a BB1500 (no disrespect intended to my LD brethern) when you're on a bike that is capable of traveling.

The belt drive on the RG is smoother than a shaft drive, but the BMW is barely noticable... The BMW has more HP, but I've never had a problem keeping up.

Best thing to do.... call around the various dealerships and rent a RG for a day... better yet a week end... pile yourself and the wife on it, and get a feel for the bike. I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

An extra bonus to the RG vs BMW....connectors (CB, heated gear etc) are common and interchangeable... the J&M "patch cord" on my RG is $25, for my friend's BMW it's over $100

Good luck, and welcome to the RG "secret society" (maybe)

Old 12-21-2008, 07:58 PM
skyking
Tourer

I came to Harley from a 2002 1150 RT back in 2005. Started with an 05 Road King Classic. Traded the Road King back in September for an 09 Ultra Classic Electra Glide. The BMW was a great bike. Smooth, quick and nimble, for a bike its size. Kind of a pain to work on though. 30 minutes or so just to remove the plastic to get to the engine.

The Harleys are a snap to work on. There are a zillion parts available to make it just the way you want it. HD builds a quality product. I can honestly say that I like my Ultra better than any bike I've ever owned, and I've owned about nine in the last 20 years.

Let me know if you have any specific questions or issues.

Rick

Old 12-21-2008, 08:06 PM
harley beemer
1st Gear

I like the fixed fairing on the RG and also I will order a shorter windshield, one that I can look over, not through. That is why I am looking at the RG and not the Electa Glide Ultra. How is RG for wind buffeting and also riding in the rain. The BWW is great in both the wind and the rain.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:19 PM
PITA
Cruiser

Welcome Rob. I still have my '03 R1150R and bought a '08 Road King Classic in April. In short, you won't miss your servo assisted brakes at all as the Harleys Brembos are strong AND linear, but the power will be a step down (similar on low end, nothing on the high end) and high speed handling will be several steps down, but perfectly adequate for a tourer, even two up.

I don't like the buffeting I got on a Road Glide, the batwing seems better but that's all dependant on height, helmet used, etc. With my screen and heated gear the RKC is perfectly fine for me, as I get no buffeting with the stock screen. It's no RT1200 - now that's a fairing and screen! - but the seat is all day comfy stock and I can easily do 10 hour days.

I think you'll enjoy the character of a Harley, vibes and all, and compared to what we're used to hearing they sound kinda cool.

Last edited by PITA; 12-21-2008 at 09:23 PM.

Quick Reply: BMW rider looking at Road Glide