Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW rider looking at Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 04:32 PM
RnR
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buffeting is definately a subjective thing. My wife and I noticed absolutely none on the '08 FLHTC we rented for a day. On the other hand a day on a Gold Wing loaner was horrible. My head was aching so bad by the end of the day, I couldn't wait to take it back. I used to own an R1150GS and the wind management on it wasn't much better. The wind shield was too far away from the rider. You were always in turbulence.

Only you will know what's comfortable for you. Let us know how the test runs go.

Rob

Old 12-24-2008, 05:48 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RnR
Buffeting is definately a subjective thing.
Rob
Ditto. I barely notice any on my stock Road Glide. I think by changing the windshield to one that is 1" taller will be just about perfect.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:36 PM
thehueg
Cruiser
Default BMW to Ultra Classic

I am relatively new to the Harley clan. Last January I sold my 2006 BMW K1200LT, my second such model. I rode them for about 50,000 miles and towards the end, my 54 year old knees simply couldn't stand the burning the 700 mile days produced. And, the stock seats were very uncomfortable. Technoligically, BMW builds a very modern product with lots of comforts, particularly the electric windshield-it's great. However, these BMW touring bikes are a real dichotomy. While called touring bikes, they're very uncomfortable for long rides.

I finally bought the 2008 Ultra Classic which remains stock to this day with 18,000 miles. This summer the wife and I rode from Boston, MA to the Grand Tetons. On the open road, this was extremely comfortable. Frankly, for my age group, sorry guys, the forward position of the feet and the ease of installing highway pegs allows for infinite foot, and hence knee, adjustments. Power is just fine and two-up riding is the best my wife has experienced on either bike. On occasion, stuck in traffic, there is a bit of heat with these air cooled engines, but you'll find this is a wonderful touring machine. And, the dealer network is very extensive. With my BMW, I crossed entire provinces with not one dealer while in the Canadian Maritimes. Similarly, in the U.S., you can travel for hundreds of miles with no dealer support in sight. I like the comfort of knowing that should the bike breakdown, I'm going to get service relatively close. The Harley is a great choice, IMO.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:32 PM
billybobsrk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

97 Road King is the only bike I've ever owned, but if I were to buy a new one it would be a Road Glide. I hear that it's more manuverable and has more control in windy conditions. Most harley owners make changes to their bikes (handlebars, windshields, add lowers or travel pack, etc.) for more comfort. Unlike other motorcycle dealerships, Harley rents bikes, so get out there and try one out.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:08 AM
ajay450
Tourer

I rode cruisers all my life and then, as you stated, decided I wanted/needed to have ABS for the obvious safety reasons. Most of my cruisers were Japanese bikes but I did have two other Harleys before my current Electra Glide Standard, all non-ABS. When I looked around for ABS bikes the new Concourse 14 had the ABS option and also I had thought long about trying one of the sport touring type bikes. Long story short, I had the C14 about 3 months and then I traded it in on my 2008 Electra Glide Standard. No way could I get use to that riding position. I don't know how sport riders do it. To me you have many more comfort options on a cruiser. Sitting up with legs forward is just so much more confortable than that lean forward, legs tucked up under position. I think you will love the cruiser seating position. And you absolutely cannot beat any Harley touring bike. It'll feel different with the little shake/throb(only at idle) of the Harley engine versus the sewing machine smoothness of sport tourers, but to me that is just part of owning a Harley and I've grown to like it and wouldn't want it any other way.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:53 AM
jrwireman
Intermediate

Other things you should consider? The craftsmanship of a Harley Davidson is amazing. There's no other bike out there with a motor built as beautifully as harley does. The unique sound bleeds American. One of the reasons I ride a Harley is because I believe it is a part of our heritage. I am proud to be an American, and it is as American as you can get. I own a 07 RG and have put 7000mi on it. With the stock windshield on it I get absolutely no buffeting and can hear the stereo crystal clear on the highway 70+. With the short 8" harley windshield on it is very noisy lots of wind noise at 70+ speeds with my head in the wind. Installed some taller handle bars for a much more comfortable riding position. The RG is very comfortable for long rides and is a pleasure to cruise down the highway. Very Satisfied.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:56 PM
winding road ckr
6th Gear

Hi Rob,

I had 2 BMW's. A 2001 K1200RS and a 2006 K1200GT. I had a 2008 Street Glide with a 110" motor, that I put 26000k in five months. I traded it in for a 2009 Screaming Eagle Road Glide. I rode one last summer and loved it. With the BMW I was always flying around at 125 mph to enjoy myself. The bike was fast (152 hp) handled great and was a blast at double the speed limits. The problem was that the bike had no character, was boring at legal or slightly over the speed limit, and had a terrible seat. With the Harley I enjoy the sound of the bike (Bub 7 exhaust) the comfortable riding position and am able to check out the scenery. I have put 1040 miles in one day and was anxious to get back on it the next morning. Way more enjoyable. And that's why I ride.

T

Old 12-27-2008, 10:42 PM
catcher
Advanced

Rob,
I bought new 04 1150RT and after a couple of trips I decided I really didn't like the seating position. I tried all the things the BMW riders say to do and just couldn't get rid of the pain in the knees and hip joints. Sold it and bought a used 04 Road Glide and I have never been happier. I too am in mid 50's and owned a lot of bikes over the years but have never liked a bike better than my RG. Had cams and power commander and all the chrome when I bought it. The only mods I have made were a Mustang seat and Lower fairings for cool weather riding. I have to admit the Beemer was the driest bike I ever rode in the pouring rain but the RG isn't bad. OK power, comfortable, great sound and great for 2 up riding with wife. I never missed the RT. RG would be a great choice. Wish I could afford a new one. But I'm ok. catcher

Old 12-28-2008, 02:12 AM
quint
Tourer

Originally Posted by winding road ckr
Hi Rob,

I had 2 BMW's. A 2001 K1200RS and a 2006 K1200GT. I had a 2008 Street Glide with a 110" motor, that I put 26000k in five months. I traded it in for a 2009 Screaming Eagle Road Glide. I rode one last summer and loved it. With the BMW I was always flying around at 125 mph to enjoy myself. The bike was fast (152 hp) handled great and was a blast at double the speed limits. The problem was that the bike had no character, was boring at legal or slightly over the speed limit, and had a terrible seat. With the Harley I enjoy the sound of the bike (Bub 7 exhaust) the comfortable riding position and am able to check out the scenery. I have put 1040 miles in one day and was anxious to get back on it the next morning. Way more enjoyable. And that's why I ride.

T
Copy that! On the Beemers, you have to be doing crazy speeds to get close to their limits, and at legal speeds, it feels like you're riding in a funeral procession.

Riding a Harley at legal speeds and a bit above is fun: the sound, the feel, the comfort, the heritage, the looks, the conversations you strike up with passers-by. It's all good.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:35 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by quint
Copy that! On the Beemers, you have to be doing crazy speeds to get close to their limits, and at legal speeds, it feels like you're riding in a funeral procession.

Riding a Harley at legal speeds and a bit above is fun: the sound, the feel, the comfort, the heritage, the looks, the conversations you strike up with passers-by. It's all good.
Couldn't have said it better.