Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW rider looking at Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by harley beemer
I am looking at the 2009 Road Glide in Dark Blue Pearl with the tour package and lowers with ABS.

So, my questions to you are these:
Do you you think I will be happy with the Road Glide and why?
Have you ever owned a BMW RT and how doe it compare?
Any thing else you want to mention, feel free.

Rob
Greetings Rob,

In the past I've owned an R1100RT. I'm not an RG rider so I can't comment on that specific model, but I have moved to an '09 Road King for some of the same reasons you're considering buying a Harley: bad knees and the availability of ABS. The '09s are very nimble and have great frames, so I reckon that they're up par with the RT in terms of handling. BUT, the floorboards will limit your lean angles compared to what you can achieve on the beemer. Since they're what make the bike so comfortable, I figure the trade-off is worthwhile. The HD ride is a bit harsher since it's a cruiser, but still well within what I find acceptable. And I've found HD seats are much better than what comes on BMWs. I can ride all day on the stocker without monkey butt setting in.

I went for the Road King because I like to be able to add and subtract wind protection according to the season, but if you want to have a big fairing in front of you, you'd probably love the Road Glide.

In stock form you'll find the HD motor slower than the beemer, but the list of what can be done to boost power seems endless.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:47 AM
quint
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob

I have owned the following BMWs:
- 2004 K1200GT
- 2005 R1200RT
- 2006 K1200S
- 2007 K1200GT

I have also owned the following Harleys:
- 2004 Road King
- 2005 FLHTCUI Ultra Classic
- 2008 FLHRSE4 Road King CVO
- 2008 FLHX Street Glide

Three things comes to mind immediately:
1. Finally, the Harley's Brembo brakes are competitive, world-class and completely effective (especially in ABS form)
2. The BMWs have extremely capable suspension and can cope with unbelievable conditions better than ant other bike I have owned
3. Harley's, in my opinion, represent a much more effective touring option, because they are comfortable, capable, practical and FUN at legal speeds and 20% above, which in reality, is what we all deal with.

A Beemer is better at 95 mph but a Harley is better at up to 85 mph. You've just got to figure out whether that's what you want.

Good luck...

Old 12-22-2008, 01:26 AM
Rusty762
Intermediate

I like the fixed fairing on the RG and also I will order a shorter windshield, one that I can look over, not through. That is why I am looking at the RG and not the Electa Glide Ultra. How is RG for wind buffeting and also riding in the rain. The BWW is great in both the wind and the rain.
Hi Rob,

I have owned 1200 GS and 650 and just bought an 09 RG for many of the reasons you listed including ABS, all i can say is rent one for the day and put a couple hundred miles on it. Someone posted he dint like buffeting on a RG? but seemed better on a batwing fairing...yeah right owned a road king with batwing faring and have rode my buddies 09 Street glide no comparison on windy days the two bikes are completely different. A fairing mounted to the frame does not wobble, the batwings are a handful in strong gust.. I Love my RG and think its one of the best touring bikes out there and HD's best all around bike to date. IMHO

Old 12-22-2008, 04:46 AM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I have ridden BMWs since 1986 and currently have four (R75/6, K75, K75RT, R1100RT), with well over 200,000 miles on BMWs. I'm not sure why the "sport touring" position of an R1150RT would cause you discomfort, but I've noted that if I'm riding 10 or 12 hours a day on the R1100RT (believe that ergonomically it's the same as the R1100RT), my right knee hurts.

That being said, I find that the foot boards on my 2007 Road King (don't have a Road Glide, so can't comment on the fairing) are the best thing since sliced bread for leg comfort. You can move your feet fore and aft and put them anywhere that's comfortable, and there are various board relocation options if stock isn't good enough. There are lots of aftermarket seats available (of course, that's true for BMW, too) and lots of handlebars. If you can't be comfortable on a Harley Touring bike, then it's unlikely you'd be comfortable on anything.

What I'd say about the comparison between the BMW and Harley is that I'd never give up my BMWs, since when all the BS is over and it's 35° and you need to ride 400 miles, there's nothing like a BMW with a fairing and heated clothing. It would run 100 mph all day and you'd feel in complete control. The reason I like my RK is that it's a whole lot of fun. It just makes me feel good every time I ride it.

I have never let anyone work on any of my motorcycles or cars, so I have a lot of experience working on BMWs and I'm now becoming familiar with the Harley. The build quality of the Harley seems to be outstanding; no sloppy welds or poor-quality paint or shaky electrics. The fuel injection is the best I've ever experienced on a motorcycle (no surge like some oilhead BMWs).

Probably it would be well to take the advice of other posters and rent a Road Glide. My general feeling is that if the weather's nice and I want to ride 400 miles, I'll take the Harley, and if it's cold or I want to ride 600 miles, I'll take the BMW. It would be a shame to only have one or the other. They are very different machines.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:56 AM
russl179
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greetings

Not to bore you but I want to give you a bit of history and hoping you can give some unbiased opinions.

I've been riding since I was 16 and I'm in my mid 50's. I've lived in upstate NY all my life so our riding seasons are short by comparisons... about 6000 - 7500 miles a year. I don't ride to work 15 miles just to let my bike sit in a parking lot all day. When I go for a ride, it is usually 2 up with the wife and anything less than 100 miles is unusual. We take a few 3 or 4 day trips a few times a season.

I have ridden BMW bikes since 1978, 4 airheads and 2 oilheads. My current bike is a 2004 BMW R1150RT. The 1150RT is sport touring bike with a 100 hp twin cylinder, 4 valve engine, shaft drive, 6 speed tranny, ABS w/ a full fairing w/ electric windshield, sidecases and topcase. I love the BMW bike. Maybe a few of you have had one and can attest to my liking.

I have been considering making a change to Harley for 3 reasons.
One: dealerships - with BMW the nearest dealer is 102 miles a way, although I don't have to see one often.
Two: my knees are really start to bother me after about a 100 miles. In the sport touring position, your knees are slightly bent under you.
Three: Harley now has ABS Brakes and that is probably the most critical reason that now is the time to make the change. I would not own a bike w/o ABS now that I have had them.

I am looking at the 2009 Road Glide in Dark Blue Pearl with the tour package and lowers with ABS.

So, my questions to you are these:
Do you you think I will be happy with the Road Glide and why?
Have you ever owned a BMW RT and how doe it compare?
Any thing else you want to mention, feel free.

Rob
Whatever you do, do not ask Neil Peart.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:01 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the fixed fairing on the RG and also I will order a shorter windshield, one that I can look over, not through. That is why I am looking at the RG and not the Electa Glide Ultra. How is RG for wind buffeting and also riding in the rain. The BWW is great in both the wind and the rain.
I traded a K1200LT to get back to a Harley. While I was riding BMW's I rode several R bikes. There's a good possibility you'll like the Road Glide for just the reasons you've stated. It handles great at any speed, it's comfortable all day, & your knees don't hurt at the end of the day. Several folks have suggested renting a Road Glide, & while that's not a bad suggestion, keep an open mind if you do. There's more wind buffeting on the Road Glide because BMW is tops in wind control & you can't beat the electric windshields, but I find that the lower fairings on the Road Glide solve the buffeting problem. You just won't find a rental with the lowers on it. A multi-day rental is also a good idea depending on how quickly you adapt to change. Any brand is going to feel awkward for a while. Give yourself time to become accustomed to the different ride.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:08 AM
fgunnr
Intermediate

Be there, done that. I had a BMW R1150RT for a couple of years. I could never get completely comfortable on it. I now have a '09 Roadglide and am very happy with the Harley. It's not as nimble and quick as the RT but it makes up for it in comfort. I have the 103ci StageII upgrade which has made a big difference in performance.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:13 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Rode my Road Glide on a windy day and the only way I realized how windy it was, was because the cross winds that hit my body directly. As for the bike? It was rock solid in the wind and rock solid when you are behind larger vehicles in traffic too. It is said that the FLTR is the best "touring" bike that Harley makes and I for one believe it. I myself have never owned a BMW but nor a batwing either. You will have more room on the Road Glide. Hold out for 2010 as you may see a decked our dresser Road Glide from HD coming. Good luck in your choice.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:27 AM
MrWrestlingII
Advanced

My advice is to either rent or demo ride all of the Harley touring bikes prior to making a decision. I was was going to buy an EG but ended up with a RK after riding the bikes.

You'll want to find out if the RG buffeting bothers you before making the purchase. I made that mistake on an R1200 GS Adventure and couldn't solve the buffeting problem so I sold it and bought and bought the RK. The RG windshield is pretty far from the riders head and this will give some riders a problem with buffeting. It will bother some riders but not others, it's very subjective.

I enjoy the RK much more than the BMW, it's just more comfortable. My only complaint with the RK is the suspension is just good enough to get by. I will be upgrading the rear shocks and front forks at some point. Even with that I was putting 2,500 miles a month on the RK before winter hit with no complaints.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:33 AM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A friend of mine has an RT, and we did a 4 day, 1600 mile trip together last year. He was really quick in the twisties, but like you he complained of sore knees at the end of the day. He traded in a Fatboy for the RT, and said he missed the difference in riding position, plus the wide array of accessories available to customize it to fit a tall rider.

Quick Reply: BMW rider looking at Road Glide