Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW rider looking at Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 09:46 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somewhere here there is a thread about some LEO's that use the BMW in service but ride HD for pleasure. They had used HD's in service for years, got exchanged our for the BMW's and were totally devastated at first. After using the BMW's for a short period they said there was no better bike for the purpose they used them for. Nimble, powerful, even off road pursuits. However for the sheer pleasure of riding, comfort and aftermarket possibilities, their HD's were still the preferred bike. You're going to lose a bit of power and handling but the riding position, floor boards, various seats available and just shear comfort are going to impress you. I can ride my UC for 6-8 hours and feel fine. Couldn't do that on any of the metrics I owned. The floor boards and forward foot position, seat and backrest are the best. I'd just like to install some pull back bars now and I'll be done........(I think)

Old 12-21-2008, 09:47 PM
monkish
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rode 600 miles in a monsoon on the way to Milwaukee. The bike did great. I had the stock shield on at the time and did not have my lowers. My rain suit at the time pretty much sucked so I did get soaked. But so did everyone else on the trip.

I have had a SG as well and like the RG better for me. I have never ridden a BMW but if you are wanting a change, I think you are looking in the right direction. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:50 PM
monkish
Road Master

Originally Posted by tima
I'd just like to install some pull back bars now and I'll be done........(I think)

now thats funny.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:36 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Firstly, you BMW riders write long posts, guess it must be the demographic. Second welcome to the forum. As far as the RG, it is a butt fugly nice riding bike. Limited experience riding them but rode both the UC and the RG before deciding, the RG had a better ride but the UC better wind protection and more goodies. Good luck, rent both and try them out long haul and city. Again welcome.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:52 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

All I know is that two years ago, a friend of mine rode his RS1100 behind my 02 Ultra to Canada and the West Coast and back. Two things stand out: 1, he was very tired at the end of the day, especially his butt, and his knees. 2, he commented frequently how amazed he was that the Ultra could handle the curves so well, that he had to hustle to keep up.

He did much better on gas mileage than I did, and he complained about having to shift up and down to stay with me at 70 mph. Now, he rides a 1200 Custom Sportster.

I once had a 650 with fairing and bags. Rock solid bike, easily cruised at 75-80 all day long. Hard on my shoulders though and my hands, leaning forward all the time.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:53 PM
simsjam
Cruiser

Originally Posted by harley beemer
I like the fixed fairing on the RG and also I will order a shorter windshield, one that I can look over, not through. That is why I am looking at the RG and not the Electa Glide Ultra. How is RG for wind buffeting and also riding in the rain. The BWW is great in both the wind and the rain.
I recommend you look at some windshield threads in this forum. Going for the shorter shield may lead to head buffeting. I have an 05 RG and there are a lot of threads on here about the wind coming up from the bottom around the legs and tank area. Lowers do help with this so plan on getting them. After reading on here a got a +1 Clearview shield and just put it on but I have not tried it on the road yet. I am 5'9" with a stock seat and the stock shield put the wind hitting the top of my helmet and causing a lot of vibration.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 386 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by harley beemer
I am looking at the 2009 Road Glide in Dark Blue Pearl with the tour package and lowers with ABS.

So, my questions to you are these:
Do you you think I will be happy with the Road Glide and why?
Have you ever owned a BMW RT and how doe it compare?
Any thing else you want to mention, feel free.

Rob
Rob,

I think you'll be happy with a Road Glide. You may need to change the windshield to minimize buffetting. It's just one of those things I've noticed that many do. You may be spoiled by the RT's fairing and electric windshield, that you'd be coming from, because it is very good.
I've not ridden a Road Glide but am now breaking in a Electra Glide (same chassis I believe)and have ridden BMW's including oilhead RT's, my first BMW goes back to a 1976 R75/6.
The Harley tourers do the same thing as BMW's touring bikes but in a much different way, I find very enjoyable. They handle well, considering their weight, but their's one thing to always be aware of and it's cornering clearance. (Lack of). I just slow down a little and practice good lines through corners (not a bad thing) and then it's not an issue. I find the relaxed way the engine makes torque, along with the comfortable riding position, very enjoyable.
A couple years ago, at a campground, I was listening to a few BMW riders sort of bashing Harleys in general. I was on a BMW at the time, but owned a Harley also. I pointed out that Harley does a lot of things different, but very well; paint and finish that's the envy of the industry (BMW and Mercedes included), a huge network of dealers, excellent reliability, the most intuitive turn signal controls and the signals are self-cancelling, front turn signals on as running lights, available ABS, belt drive the most trouble free and maintainence free drive method, and fuel injection that's spot-on (no surging).
And then their's this great forum!

Old 12-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Chrome O
Stage III

Welcome
There is only one way to do the comparison and that is to rent one for a long weekend and a long ride.
This way, it won’t cost but a few hundred dollars instead of several thousand. The truth is it really can’t be compared until you have ridden it for months and you’re one with it. If you ride two up as you say what she thinks has a lot to do with how much you like.
You are used to riding a SPORT touring bike and the glide is just a touring bike. But it is the top handling HD touring bike. The great thing is that you can buy tons of seats, handlebar, backrest, floorboards, tour packs and etc. Enjoy the decision.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:14 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm proud of the way you guys gave him some great points, although I'm not convinced that's why he posted. I guess I am biased, so will refrain from any further comments.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:28 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gunner11
I'm proud of the way you guys gave him some great points, although I'm not convinced that's why he posted. I guess I am biased, so will refrain from any further comments.
Hey, if he's a troll, he's a very nice and polite troll. And I'd go as far to say that most of us here have had or currently have metrics. We love our HD's and bikes in general. There is no bad bike (well, maybe a Victory ) just bad riders sometimes.

Quick Reply: BMW rider looking at Road Glide