Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Center Fairing 16K Mile User Review with Roadtrip Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 01:02 PM
Scarz
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Very good review! I have been thinking about moving up from my 04 RKC to an 09 Ultra Classic. But I will soon be closing on a house so my financial situation has changed. Now I think its time to consider decking out the RKC to an Ultra King.

Last edited by Scarz; 02-01-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:17 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice looking ride. The fairing looks great on there.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:18 PM
scarygt
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarz
Very good review! I have been thinking about moving up from my 04 RKC to an 09 Ultra Classic. But I will soon be closing on a house so my financial situation has changed. Now I think its time to consider decking out the RKC to an Ultra King.

If you are like most of us you already probably spent a ton on your current ride so it makes sense to just add a fairing to the bike that you already love. Under 2K you have a new bike! Post pics when you add it.

Take care, Ralph

Old 02-03-2009, 07:02 PM
lviguy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great review! I've had my DeadCenter fairing on since last Spring. It never comes off, but I like that it can. No problem with the speaker screws for me. It's good to be in the desert!

I had to rotate the stock bars back a bit for clearance for clearance when I installed. Ran a cable from my Zumo to the provided aux in jack so I can play mp3's in addition to CD's, CD's with mp3's on them and radio.

Only thing I wish it had is SCV (Speed Compensating Volume), but that's the trade off of an aftermarket setup.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:27 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,703 Likes on 2,126 Posts

Nice review and pics. These are the kind of posts I was hoping to find when I first joined the forum, detailed and informative. Quality posts like this do not not pop up very often. The posts with goofs spouting off opinions on things they know little about get old quick.

Thanks for the all good information.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:27 PM
scarygt
Road Master

Originally Posted by rizzo
Nice review and pics. These are the kind of posts I was hoping to find when I first joined the forum, detailed and informative. Quality posts like this do not not pop up very often. The posts with goofs spouting off opinions on things they know little about get old quick.

Thanks for the all good information.
Wow... that might of been the nicest response that I've ever received on this forum. I try to give facts and not just bs when I review something. The companies with nothing to hide like people that give honest reviews... it helps them sell their products.

Have a good day folks, Ralph

Old 02-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Leonidas
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That was a great review! thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I have been debating on what fairing to go with myself(Hoppe, Dead Center, or Dragonfly) I think that the Dead Center is the nicest looking and closest to the real thing out their (that I've seen). The only thing I'm kind of not liking is the Jensen head unit, sure anti shock is great but I don't think Jensen is the only unit out there with that feature... I remember a few years back when dealing with car audio systems that Jensen was kind of bottom of the barrel in terms of brand stature. Do they offer a fairing with everything except the head unit?

Again thanks for such a great review, I think I've just about made my mind up to get a Dead Center as well.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:27 PM
NAMVET
Tourer

I'm going Sunday to look at a Dead Center fairing a dealer has near me. He is going to put
his fairing on my bike to try. I might get mine with no head unit or speakers. I know they
offer it that way. I'll know more Sunday.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:34 PM
scarygt
Road Master

Originally Posted by Leonidas
That was a great review! thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I have been debating on what fairing to go with myself(Hoppe, Dead Center, or Dragonfly) I think that the Dead Center is the nicest looking and closest to the real thing out their (that I've seen). The only thing I'm kind of not liking is the Jensen head unit, sure anti shock is great but I don't think Jensen is the only unit out there with that feature... I remember a few years back when dealing with car audio systems that Jensen was kind of bottom of the barrel in terms of brand stature. Do they offer a fairing with everything except the head unit?

Again thanks for such a great review, I think I've just about made my mind up to get a Dead Center as well.

You can order it from them with just speakers and the wiring harness in place.. you would then just add a head unit and wire it to the power, ground, and speakers. Like I said my original Jensen head unit died on me so I put a Kenwood head unit in to replace it. I had to rewire the harness to work with the the Kenwood connection, but it wasn't very hard to do that. All the wires from the Jensen were color coded the same as the Kenwood so it was an easy cut the old wire and attach it to the new wire of the same color.

I also really liked the fairing much more after I added the little Harley wind deflectors on the bottom sides of the fairing. Once the deflectors were added it made the radio much more easier to hear. Little note on the wind deflectors... Don't waste your money on the Freedom Wings wind deflectors... I bought a new set of those and they didn't fit worth a darn.. i sold them for a loss the day after they arrived. Just get the cheap non movable wings from Harley (I think they only cost 38 bucks) and you will be happy with them.

Good luck folks, Ralph

Old 02-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Leonidas
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scarygt
You can order it from them with just speakers and the wiring harness in place.. you would then just add a head unit and wire it to the power, ground, and speakers. Like I said my original Jensen head unit died on me so I put a Kenwood head unit in to replace it. I had to rewire the harness to work with the the Kenwood connection, but it wasn't very hard to do that. All the wires from the Jensen were color coded the same as the Kenwood so it was an easy cut the old wire and attach it to the new wire of the same color.

I also really liked the fairing much more after I added the little Harley wind deflectors on the bottom sides of the fairing. Once the deflectors were added it made the radio much more easier to hear. Little note on the wind deflectors... Don't waste your money on the Freedom Wings wind deflectors... I bought a new set of those and they didn't fit worth a darn.. i sold them for a loss the day after they arrived. Just get the cheap non movable wings from Harley (I think they only cost 38 bucks) and you will be happy with them.

Good luck folks, Ralph
Thanks for the tip on the deflectors, I'll definitely keep that in mind
About ordering the fairing without the stereo.. I believe if you order it without, it's "stereo ready" which means the holes are pre cut and the wiring harness is in place, but no head unit and no speakers... no big deal though, I just priced both the head unit and speakers seperately online and I can get the speakers for $60-100 and the head unit(the jensen) for about $100... I'd probably get something else though... This got me thinking how much of a markup there is on the stereo's... and for lower quality units too
At any rate, I'll definitely be ordering mine 'stereo ready'

Quick Reply: Dead Center Fairing 16K Mile User Review with Roadtrip Pics!