Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 04:20 PM
blukrom
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary leak

I posted this on another form but got no response so I thought I might try it over here.

I have and 05 RK custom and installed the HD automatic primary adjuster a few weeks ago. I used a brand new HD gasket (cleaned all the surfaces) and torqued everything to the harley specs using the pattern specified in the manual. Now I notice that its wet under the area where the clutch lives and Im getting a silver dollar sized oil mark on the floor. What the heck???? Help? Can anyone offer any advice?

thanks.

Old 04-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Kahuna
Road Master
Default RE: Primary leak

Could be one of two things:
- Your Derby cover gasket is pinched!
- Your Primary Shaft Seal is leaking.

If it didn't leak until after your part installation, I would think the Derby cover seal is the culprit. I would check the gasket for cuts or pinched areas. However, the shaft seal leak is pretty common.

ORIGINAL: blukrom

I posted this on another form but got no response so I thought I might try it over here.

I have and 05 RK custom and installed the HD automatic primary adjuster a few weeks ago. I used a brand new HD gasket (cleaned all the surfaces) and torqued everything to the harley specs using the pattern specified in the manual. Now I notice that its wet under the area where the clutch lives and Im getting a silver dollar sized oil mark on the floor. What the heck???? Help? Can anyone offer any advice?

thanks.

Old 04-11-2006, 06:06 PM
ricoman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you put a new o-ring on the primary drain plug? and torque it to spec?

Old 04-11-2006, 11:45 PM
blukrom
Advanced

Thanks for the replys.
I did take take extra care not to damage the derby cover gasket and I dont feel any oil around it. So I think that part is okay.
But regarding the drain plug I didnt change the o ring, but Im pretty sure I torqued it. I will need to go check it though now that you mentioned it.

Thanks

Old 04-11-2006, 11:50 PM
CharlieZ
Tourer

Had my Primary Shaft Seal replaced under warranty on my 05 Road King today.

Name:  DSC00566.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  133.8 KB

Old 04-11-2006, 11:54 PM
blukrom
Advanced

I dont think its the shaft seal because it ws fine before I opened it up. But you never know It could have gone bad at the same time. I hope not but I will check it as well.

Old 04-12-2006, 01:13 PM
navyman
Road Master

I put some thread sealer on the drain plug threads when I reinstalled mine. No leaks. I noticed my dealer does this also.

Old 04-13-2006, 03:17 AM
98kingflh
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the same install on mine, and guess what. Leaked, I could not get it to stop. So I double checked everything and finally realized that Harley had replaced the rubber O-ring years back with the paper gasket. The parts guy at the local HD parts department also said to check the cover to make sure it had not been over torqued and out of whack?? It's possible. So now it has a 2 dollar o-ring like they used too have plus it has the paper gasket like they put in now. No leaks, no drips, no runs. It was also the perfect time for me to change out to Mobil one synthetic, so why not.