Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the dealer break in new bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 01:53 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The registration on my bike shows 10 miles. I bought the bike, they took it to service, they did a test ride, but I don't remember it being long enough to get in 10 miles. It must of had some miles on it before they rolled it off the floor. Makes me wonder now.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:04 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by SG 1
The registration on my bike shows 10 miles. I bought the bike, they took it to service, they did a test ride, but I don't remember it being long enough to get in 10 miles. It must of had some miles on it before they rolled it off the floor. Makes me wonder now.
Most good dealers will roll one right off the floor and let you take a spin if your a well established customer that is going to buy. I know a dealer that rolled a SE Ultra off the floor for a guy to take a test ride, he did end up buying the bike. My dad was looking at a new Heritage a few years back and the sales manager offered to roll it out and let him take it for a spin. Nothing strange realy considering car dealers do it all the time and no one gives it much thought.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:28 PM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After the dealer receives the bike and unpacks them, a technician will go over each bike and then they usually test drive em to make sure everything is aligned and the bike rides okay.
Nothin worse than handing a bike over to a customer, only to have the customer complain about some little thing like "the forks aren't staright when I ride", or some other simple thing.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:30 PM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been my experience they'll warm run em up and run em a couple of miles to make sure no major leaks are seen.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:31 PM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah like everyone is saying a quick designated route after assembly from the box, but "they" are good at breaking them too

Old 12-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I too am very sad anyone died, and feel sorry for their families.

But techs don't test ride customers bikes two at a time, let alone at 10:30 p.m. in December.
Like most news stories, we don't know the rest of the story.

Last edited by Texas Fat Boy; 12-21-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:49 PM
NAMVET
Tourer

A test ride is part of our PDI.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:52 PM
dyna105SE
Tourer

I got Lucky when I bought my Dyna. It had 1 mile on the clock when I picked her up. So I'm not sure about a dealer ride on mine

Old 12-21-2008, 06:26 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Petesnot
This brings up a question from me. I've owned VW's all my life and had various wrenches work on them. After complete rebuilds, I've always been told to break them in like I drive them. One wrench flat out told me there is no break in.
My point is this; VW's and Harleys are air cooled. The major difference I see is VW has lower compression and horsepower. Why do air cooled bikes require break-in periods when air cooled vehicles do not?
Another question; why is there a break in period on a new bike that has been dyno'd? You go through the entire power band, multiple times, to do a dyno. Why is this ok and not acceptable on the road?
In 47 years of driving and 42 years of riding, I've never seen any OEM that recommends a hard break-in. All seem to be fairly consistent that you follow a stepped or tapered procedure (easier at first progressing to normal at a specified mileage) and varying the speed throughout.

Just because a tech or salesman tells you there is no break-in, I'll bet in every case there is a procedure outlined in the owner's manual. Even modern vehicles that are assembled with much better machining and tolerances require a break-in period.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:39 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
I too am very sad anyone died, and feel sorry for their families.

But techs don't test ride customers bikes two at a time, let alone at 10:30 p.m. in December.
Like most news stories, we don't know the rest of the story.
I'm sure there is more to the story than I'll ever know, btw, this happened in May of 06

Quick Reply: Does the dealer break in new bikes?