Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HQ107ST build for GliderXXX

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great Job Phil. Glider XXX will be smiling for some time. Ed did a great job from the looks of it on the tune!

Another fine HQ build comes to life !

Old 12-21-2008, 11:03 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by speedglide
That torque is INCREDIBLE!!! I have my parts out to HQ right now for a baby 98" ST kit!
Man, I still can't get over that torque curve.
Are you running the OEM intake and throttle body? OEM injectors?

Hey Phil, what did your "break in run" consist of???
Jason
I've always done the "quick seating" process. There is a website that talks about it ~ someone can post a link to it. I read an article from Joe Minton about it years ago (99, 2000, ??) and have done it ever since.

Once you get oil pressure, start it and let the lifter pump up til the quiet down ~ idle, do NOT rev it!

Shut it off & check for leaks. Recheck the exhaust flanges for tightness.

Get your riding gear on & head out for a country road. In 3rd gear, at 30MPG -> open the throttle 100% (WFO) and accelerate to 60MPH, then close the throttle to 0% & coast back down to 30MPH. Repeat this exercise 10 times & you're ready to ride is normally. Avoid holding constant speed / RPM for a couple hundred miles, but DO NOT BABY the motor.

At 50 ~ 75 miles, change the oil and filter ~ more dino oil (no syn yet). Change it again @ 500~750 then at about 2k to 2500 you can put AMSoil or Redline in it.

HolyCrap BatMan.... that 124 in an FXR? Graham, you are as sick as I am!

Old 12-21-2008, 11:22 AM
BlkSilverado
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phil... When your doing another one of these builds I'd like to come over & watch (or help) if possible. If I'd have known you were tuning at Ed's place i'd have dropped by for a visit. Ed is the bomb when it comes to dynoing! He did my basically stock Ultra Classic, and it's never run better.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:38 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Nice start Phil, why is Kevin dresed like a Ninja? Please do some close ups of the cams heads and piston mounting when you get to that part. Thanks in advance.
Because if Phil had stood me up I was gonna break in and steal all his tools. I'm not sure what I would have done with them after I stole them, but I was still gonna do it dammit!

Actually it was 40 degrees, heavy misting rain and fog with a visibility of about 10 ft! I think and it took me over an hour and a half to get across the DFW metroplex to Phils shop in those conditions. But you know what...there was no way I wasn't going to take advantage of getting it there early at Phils suggestion. The dutiful wife slowly following me over in the volvo shaking her head the whole time. It's was one of those.."would you rather the dollars be getting stuffed in G-Strings?" moments

Old 12-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Big Jake
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glider XXX - what was your reasoning for gong with the 107 vs other builds by HQ's? I have been looking at them for a while and getting close to pulling the trigger. Just curious. Great looking scoot as well. Enjoy

Old 12-21-2008, 11:54 AM
gli.der
Cruiser

Can you give us a breakdown of what the average guy would spend on a build like this? Most of us living in other states would be using a different builder, what should we expect as far as labor/parts. Any reccomendations on a good builder in the Phx area? Thx for the great pics and info Phil and GliderXXX....

Old 12-21-2008, 12:07 PM
jarhead45
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice write up, gotta tag this one for future referance

Old 12-21-2008, 12:23 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by gli.der
Can you give us a breakdown of what the average guy would spend on a build like this? Most of us living in other states would be using a different builder, what should we expect as far as labor/parts. Any reccomendations on a good builder in the Phx area? Thx for the great pics and info Phil and GliderXXX....
Between $3,500-$4000 depending on who did the work and whether or not you needed a Race Tuner and who does the tune.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:26 PM
speedglide
Tourer

Originally Posted by PhilM
I've always done the "quick seating" process. There is a website that talks about it ~ someone can post a link to it. I read an article from Joe Minton about it years ago (99, 2000, ??) and have done it ever since.

Once you get oil pressure, start it and let the lifter pump up til the quiet down ~ idle, do NOT rev it!

Shut it off & check for leaks. Recheck the exhaust flanges for tightness.

Get your riding gear on & head out for a country road. In 3rd gear, at 30MPG -> open the throttle 100% (WFO) and accelerate to 60MPH, then close the throttle to 0% & coast back down to 30MPH. Repeat this exercise 10 times & you're ready to ride is normally. Avoid holding constant speed / RPM for a couple hundred miles, but DO NOT BABY the motor.

At 50 ~ 75 miles, change the oil and filter ~ more dino oil (no syn yet). Change it again @ 500~750 then at about 2k to 2500 you can put AMSoil or Redline in it.

HolyCrap BatMan.... that 124 in an FXR? Graham, you are as sick as I am!
Thanks Phil! I have gathered from some reading that this the method HQ recommends also, correct?
I hope I can get the setup close to right the first time, I sent my throttle body out for mods too, and of course now my IAC adjustment is outta whack.
I will have to ride about 5mi maybe 10min to get to a good country road. Do you see this as a problem? I assumed I should at least warm the bike up a bit anyway, just didn't know how much is too much.
OH- and if you run across ANY info from your 98" DTT build, SAVE IT, especially AFR vs RPM settings and timing!!!! I'll be leaning on ya for it here in the next few months! Bummer about your laptop crashing and loosing the maps! LOL!
jason

Old 12-21-2008, 09:53 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Big Jake
Glider XXX - what was your reasoning for gong with the 107 vs other builds by HQ's? I have been looking at them for a while and getting close to pulling the trigger. Just curious. Great looking scoot as well. Enjoy
Jake...I wanted the whole package, and there was really no difference in price between the 103-107. I didn't want to go the expense and down time to split the cases as well. Trust me, I did think about it and who knows what I'll end up with, but for now, I'm more than a little happy! Thanks for the compliments on the bike.

Quick Reply: HQ107ST build for GliderXXX