Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt too tight?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008 | 10:33 PM
Yachtman
|
Road Warrior
Default Belt too tight?

I just got my bike back from the Indy for a few things. One was a new rear tire. So after a 60 mile ride today, I put the bike back in the garage and checked the belt. I don't have a HD gauge, but my hand and brain tell me it's way too tight.

Rather than take it back, is it okay to loosen the belt? I have the manual and could reverse the process. Sound okay to do?

Any recomendations would be really helpfull.

Serious recommendations, only, please!

Old 12-20-2008 | 10:40 PM
illwadd
6th Gear

you can adjust it. just dont go too loose. the guage is well worth the money if you get a chance to get one. 10 pounds of pressure isn't a lot.

Old 12-20-2008 | 11:34 PM
DZLDR
Road Warrior

belt deflection should be min 3/8 to max 7/16 with ten pounds pressure at mid section of belt

Old 12-21-2008 | 03:42 PM
Yachtman
|
Road Warrior

So loosen axle nut, and back off the adjuster nuts a little?

Old 12-21-2008 | 04:07 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Smile

Originally Posted by Yachtman
So loosen axle nut, and back off the adjuster nuts a little?
Yeah, and when I've done this, before I tighten the axle nut, I take a brass drift and put it against the axle nuts on each side (NOT the adjusting nuts) and tap it to move the wheel forward equally on both sides to the new stop point after backing the adjusting nuts off a little - usually 1/2 flat each (1/12 turn), then tighten the axle nut to spec.

My rule of thumb is that the rear pulley is only luke warm after a ride. If the belt's too tight, the pulley will feel hot. IMHO and according to my own experiences over the years, the deflection spec is correct only when the bike has just been ridden and everything is up to operating temp. Every time I've adjusted the belt to the spec in the manual when it's cold, it's ended up being way too tight when everything heats up and the pulley will be almost too hot to touch.

Having the belt as tight as a guitar string can't possibly be doing the tranny input and output shaft bearings, rear wheel bearings, swing arm pivot bushings etc. any good - not to mention the belt itself. Also it'll whine like hell at highway speeds when it's too tight.

Good luck & I hope this helps.

Ride safe,

John

Last edited by jpooch00; 12-21-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-21-2008 | 06:03 PM
sparky_mo
Club Member

I too had my bike into an Indy shop recently getting my 20,000 mile service done. I know he adjusted the belt. I thought it was just me looking for something, but when manuevering it around the garage parking it, it doesn't seem to roll as easy as it did before. Could this be a sign too that the belt might be to tight?

The following users liked this post:
martin10 (11-17-2021)
Old 12-22-2008 | 05:06 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by sparky_mo
I too had my bike into an Indy shop recently getting my 20,000 mile service done. I know he adjusted the belt. I thought it was just me looking for something, but when manuevering it around the garage parking it, it doesn't seem to roll as easy as it did before. Could this be a sign too that the belt might be to tight?
It could be that. You might also notice little squeaky-chirpy sounds coming from the belt/pulleys when you push the bike around if it's over-tight. Also, it's possible that the rear wheel axle nut was severly over-torqued and has crushed the spacer between the wheel bearings causing them to bind. If that's the case, it's a serious safety issue.

Good luck,

John

Old 12-22-2008 | 06:26 AM
sparky_mo
Club Member

I'm not hearing any noise even turning the wheel while on the lift. I would think I would if either the belt was too tight, or the spacer was harmed causing the bearings to bind. I'm probably just paranoid because I did have to replace the bearing that went bad in my IDS sprocket and am obviously paying a bit more attention to the rear wheel area.

Last edited by sparky_mo; 12-22-2008 at 06:34 AM.
Old 12-22-2008 | 09:26 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by sparky_mo
I'm not hearing any noise even turning the wheel while on the lift. I would think I would if either the belt was too tight, or the spacer was harmed causing the bearings to bind. I'm probably just paranoid because I did have to replace the bearing that went bad in my IDS sprocket and am obviously paying a bit more attention to the rear wheel area.
You're probably right.

The real test is to ride the bike for a little while at highway speeds and then pull over and get off and put your hand on the rear pulley. If it feels anything more than just warm, then the belt's too tight. If it feels about right, reach in and check the hub temp. If it feels fery hot at all, then there may be a bearing issue.

Best of luck and ride safe,

John

Old 12-22-2008 | 09:49 AM
wagsrk08
Road Captain

I'm glad I purchased a Belt Tension Gauge (Part No. HD-35381A) and Touring Service Manual which takes out any guess work being described here. Both will cost you under $90 if you shop around.

Quick Reply: Belt too tight?