Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need your thoughts RG or UC

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008 | 08:11 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by DAP
This is my first post guys so be easy on me. I rode both bikes and love them both. I like the ride of the glide a little better but the UC has a few more options I may use down the road. Wife has made it clear no more bikes in the near future since this will be my sixth and first Harley. Which would you choose and why?
IF she's gonna be on the back??? I'd guess the ULTRA is your best bet....it has all the creature comforts out of the box... I wouldn't buy on, as I don't need the extra stoarge, and the OL rides her own... so passenger comfort means nothing to me.
I added a J&M handlebar CB unit complete, for less than the HD/CB unit... never mind the harnes etc etc

Lowers, and a tour pack can be added... and be detachable... IF that's what is holding you back...
I prefer a removeableT-bag.... which is actually easier to use, and doubles as a suitcase when traveling, unstrap the bag, and into the room I go

You can't go wrong with either.... I perfer the RG.. but that's a personal choice...

Old 12-17-2008 | 08:12 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by DAP
Thanks for you guys input. I might as well go and ride them again to make my final decision
Come back and let us know how you decided and what color etc you ordered. Us Road Glide owners have a "secret society" and will need to know if we can share the secret hand shake with you or not.

Old 12-17-2008 | 08:29 AM
IceHeritage
Road Master

Just add The UC Features like most RG Owners have I have a Tour Pak that I put on When the Better Half Rides and a Two-Up Seat just for when she Rides but when I am by myself I put my C&C Solo and Remove the Tour Pak and the RG is Good to Go.

Best HD I have ever Rode

Old 12-17-2008 | 08:32 AM
kjmorgan
Road Captain

It's been said here many times but I'll repeat it - there's a reason they call it the ULTRA. Don't spend all that extra cash to add stuff to your RG to make it an Ultra clone when you can just get an Ultra to begin with. Now, if you don't need all the bells and whistles and extra storage and passenger comfort of an UC, then the RG is a great bike.

Old 12-17-2008 | 08:56 AM
tn_chopper_man
Road Captain

Originally Posted by kjmorgan
It's been said here many times but I'll repeat it - there's a reason they call it the ULTRA. Don't spend all that extra cash to add stuff to your RG to make it an Ultra clone when you can just get an Ultra to begin with. Now, if you don't need all the bells and whistles and extra storage and passenger comfort of an UC, then the RG is a great bike.
I agree with what he said, especially if you like the looks of both.

Old 12-17-2008 | 09:02 AM
Raaze07
Road Warrior

I was heading down the path of buying the CVO Road Glide, then I got nervous about the cash outlay, so I had to decide between the standard RG or the EGC or UC. In the end I chose the UC because it had everything on it, my wife will be a frequent passenger, and the batwing (I've read) offers better protection from the elements (I get caught in the rain a lot in Cleveland, and I also ride a lot in early spring and late fall). I never had a problem with buffeting on the highway on my SG, so I don't think that'll be any worse on the Ultra. On top of that, the frame and tire changes they've made to the '09s give the Ultra handling that's comparable to the older RGs (NOTE I didn't say they're comparable to an '09 RG). Just my $0.02

If my wife wasn't riding, I may have gone with the RG anyway, there's something there that I find very appealing.

Old 12-17-2008 | 09:10 AM
tima
Elite HDF Member

I love my UC. You pretty much have everything you'll ever need, and you can take off what you don't want on occasion. I'm not biased......

Old 12-17-2008 | 09:16 AM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

cant beat the fix fairing and you can add all the uc options its only a couple

ride safe

Old 12-17-2008 | 09:55 AM
DAP
|
Stage IV

Thanks guys I will take all your info into consideration and let you know what I chose.

Old 12-17-2008 | 10:22 AM
mattman22033
Road Warrior

My first touring bike was an Ultra and now I have an RG with all the stuff. Now granted I bought my RG used and it had almost everything I would have added anyway. Do I miss my Ultra...yes and no. Is my RG a better bike...YES. Would I buy an Ultra again...no.

Quick Reply: Need your thoughts RG or UC