Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Company Just Cut Off Our Retirement and Matching 401K

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008 | 07:13 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by captjon37
... people with toys are complaining about not having a retirement handed to them. ...

I am not scared even without a high school or college education i managed to acquire enough paperwork and a license to do this type of work anywhere in the world and as long as the Coast Guard keeps playing Water Police i am good to go.
So... you gonna turn down the retirement check the Coast Guard is going to hand you? ... or, if you put in 19 years, and then they told you to forget about the retirement check you were promised, you're cool with that?

Old 12-17-2008 | 07:29 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by hammerhead32158
You got a contract?
Some employees have the terms of their employment in writing (almost always with a disclaimer clause indicating the employer can change those terms at will). The rest have the legal, binding, verbal agreement made at the time of employment.

I was just happy to get a job. They guaranteed me nothing. I do have a 401k but, they can stop it at any time. They didn't say," if you come work here this is what we will give you and we will never take it away. Company's have been doing this since the beginning of time.
Yes. Some companies ignore the loyalty of their employees, and then wonder why their employees are not motivated to be loyal to the company. Some companies take care of their employees, and the employees take care of the company. The original poster really didn't indicate how he felt towards the company. He just said it sucked losing those things after all these years.

It's possible, someone from management, or an owner, came to everyone and said "Here's the situation, and here's what we need to do to survive" and the employees were cool with that. (Even if they are, they can still think it sucks to lose something). Or, maybe they got a letter or email that said "You're losing this ****, and if you don't like it, take a hike.)

...either way, all the original poster said was he had worked 23 years under a certain agreement, the agreement was changed, and it sucked.

For that, he gets a bunch of ********* telling him how good he has it and how much worse someone else is.

Old 12-17-2008 | 07:49 PM
DaveMK
Road Master
Received 315 Likes on 142 Posts

Worked for the same company for 23 years. I don't know of too many people who worked for the same company that long.

Old 12-17-2008 | 08:20 PM
skunk237
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never fear my friends..... Our new Pres Elect will "spread the wealth" What that means is that each and every one of us hard working tax paying dummies are going to pay for the bozo sitting on the park bench who "does not want to work" Kinda reminds me of the union where the hard working guys are always pulling the weight of the lazy ones, huh... But all get the same rate of pay,,, cuz UAW said so.....

As far as the big 3,,, let em go bankrupt and reorganize.... THE COMPETITION COMES FROM INDIANA, ALABAMA, TENNESEE AND THE OTHER AUTO COMPANIES YOU DO NOT SEE BEGGING FOR A BAILOUT....Toyota, etc, And are manufacturing cars right here in the good ole USA... Wonder if they have ""JOB BANKS""' I'd like to sit on my *** and get paid for a year.... Hell, Chrysler is privately owned by Cerebus, one of the richest companies anywhere,,, and you want to give them how many million????
Unless you work for the government, federal or state, ie. teacher, DOT, legislator, judge, county government, Post Office,, etc.... YOU BETTER QUIT BITCHIN,,, PULL YOURSELF UP AND SAY "I WILL TAKE CARE OF ME AND MINE" and if this means sweeping floors, working at McDonalds, mowing lawns or whatever, DO IT.... QUIT EXPECTING YOUR EMPLOYER TO TAKE CARE OF YOU.... YOU GIVE HIM A DAYS WORK FOR A DAYS PAY,, NO MORE NO LESS.. This country has become a land of "OH JUST GIVE IT TO ME CAUSE I DESERVE IT... INSTEAD OF I WILL EARN IT FOR MYSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take some pride in yourself and fund your own retirement,,, SAVE YOUR MONEY BOZO.... CD's, MMA's Annuities, IRA'S SEPA'S and much much more are available if you just quit bitchin and LEARN HOW TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR SELF....THIS MEANS RESEARCH......

But do not frett,,, our Pres Elect,,, who may be the first black President, but WILL NOT be a great President..... He will take care of those who are to lazy to do it themselves....

I have worked hard for everything I have, motorcycles, boat, house, put myself and kids through college,,, sent one son to Iraq.... Fund my own retirement and portfolio, and will NOT lower myself to ask for a handout....Because I have always taken care of me and mine..... Get some PRIDE IN YOURSELVES AND BE AMERICANS...... WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH.... THE TOUGH GET GOING..... SO GET GOING......

Skunk237
2003 Heritage Softail
Stage I SE
Chrome.... Paid for, I have the title

2007 Ultra
103 Big Bore
SE 4" muff with 2" Fullsac baffles
HD oil cooler
TMAX Auto tune
Bagger Brace
Diamond Star modulators
Chrome Chrome.... Paid for, I have the title

hard work pays off,,, bitchin does not......now get to work......

Old 12-17-2008 | 08:57 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by themensh
What have you done about the 'illegals'? Called your local police? Congress person? Legislature? Write an editorial to your newspaper?
Nothing? Anything.......? Do something.

Chuck
I belong to numbersusa.com, which I donate to. I have hand written as well as faxed and emailed politicians in my district and many others about the issue.

I educate everyone I come in contact with about the issue. of ilegals.

Old 12-18-2008 | 07:20 AM
ArgyleRider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by patsfan
Agreed, you sound like a very open-minded person who doesnt jump to conclusions.
After hearing about and seeing the many people who are in dire straits right now, sometimes I feel like I got a horseshoe up my ****. My company has been doing major downsizing for the last year. I've seen co-workers getting laid off with over 20 years on the job. I've had to lay off and cut hours to over 2 dozen of my employees, just in the little operation the I manage. It really sucks to have to do that to people, but in all honesty, it would suck worse to have it done to me. My 401k has fallen like a brick, the last 12 months, but thankfully, I still have one.
All in all, I feel blessed that my wife and myself still have decent jobs and are able to take the bike out and have some fun on the weekends.
I really hope things change for the better for alot of people soon.
Thanks.
I try to go on facts instead of emotion as much as possible.
I've been the hiring manager and the laying off manager several times and layoffs are never easy. If you fire someone because they are not contributing, that is fine, but layoffs are tough when they go to the undeserved. I had one group of employees elect to trim all their hours to 32 a week in order to save a few jobs in their assembly area. I made sure that those people were taken care of when I was able, because I respect loyalty.

Anyway, hopefully the loss of benefits is temporary and the economy will recover by the end of 2009. I think the need for companies to look hard at themselves and get leaner can be a good thing in the long term, but it is a stressful process and never fun. At the end of the day, good employees should be rewarded by their now-stronger companies. As they say on TV "your results may vary".

One final thought, based on another post I read in this thread: Anyone with a job that someone can walk in off the street (or illegally cross the border) and learn in a week, does not have job security at all and will be constantly facing downward pressure on wages and benefits because they are competing with a nearly infinite supply of unskilled labor.

Old 12-18-2008 | 08:46 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 503 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by EGlideKid
It's a sign of the times, I guess, and it was a really flippin' fine Christmas present finding out today that the people I give a healthy chunk of my life to are no longer going to provide for my old age. No more matching funds to our 401K, AND, they're freezing our pension plans after January, so YIPPEE... I get to work the rest of my life with no hopes of adding to my present meager monthly retirement

That sucks..... You CAN roll your account over into a IRA (see your accountant) most 401(K) 's are run by an outside company.... contact them first...... there will be a fee (what ELSE is new?) but you CAN contribute, and you WILL continue to earn a tax advantage