Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Company Just Cut Off Our Retirement and Matching 401K

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008 | 10:21 PM
spizzyman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wrote this post three times but everything I said sucked. Good luck with your situation. I get it.

spiz

Old 12-16-2008 | 10:25 PM
gregsworld
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow... Speechless here

Old 12-16-2008 | 10:30 PM
Pablo22
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

Sucks - but be thankful you're workin. I got laid off two months ago - just in timefor Christmas!

Old 12-16-2008 | 10:36 PM
tbrenan
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Went thru this in Western Canada in 1981/1987 lost two homes, one mortgage free the other owing $80,000, lost 4 bikes, 3 cars, a large trailer, motorhome and a wife.

Went from $25.00 an hour to $8.00 and glad to have it took me until this year to be debt free, 3 Harley's, 05 Crossfire, 98 Silverado, 09 Caliber

I did not whine or complain---I started work in 1955 at the age of 16 and have not stopped, nothing more than a high school education and a Masters in BS.

It's an old saying but when times get tough--the tough get going

Time to -----MAN UP!!!!!!

Old 12-16-2008 | 10:45 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Lotta bellyachin' if you ask me.
The company that you or anyone else works for owes you nothing beyond a paycheck.
They don't call it "benefits" for nothing.

The Warden (wife) and I provide for ourselves.
Try paying the outrageous health insurance premiums we pay for a few months, then get back to me.

People can sit around and bellyache about the times.
It's true, they're tough...and going to get tougher.
Perhaps my outlook is a bit different.
I see the current situation as a potential opportunity.
An opportunity to batten down the hatch, get control of our (the USA) outlandish spending...and improve ourselves with the situation.

The stock market will fall more. We've positioned ourselves to take advantage of this when the time comes.

You need to change your perspective, man!

Old 12-16-2008 | 10:48 PM
tgaetto
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

All feels like the 70's again!

Old 12-16-2008 | 11:40 PM
wolfjack
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amen!

Old 12-16-2008 | 11:55 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Yachtman
Don't tell people the boss cut off your extras, whatever they might be...
They weren't "extras", they were part of his pay package - an agreement he made with the employer when he signed on to the job. The employers simply choose to change the terms of their agreement with you, and expect you to accept it. If you were to try the same, maybe tell your boss you're only going to work half the hours, but you'll expect the same pay - you'd get the boot.

I don't get your beef here. There is plenty of talk in these forums about the current state of the economy, job market & business. I don't think he was looking for you to run over to his house and give him a pat on the head and a shoulder to cry on - just bitching among friends, many whom are dealing with the same types of issues, and making conversation.

No matter what disclaimers you attempt to provide, you're just being a dick. You're attempting to discount what he's dealing with by claiming others are dealing with something you perceive as being more difficult.

If you really want to go down the road you picked here - no one in the US should ever bitch about anything. Our "poor" in the US, live a far better life than many people in the world. In the US, being "poor" means you can only afford the 42" TV, and your cars are more than a couple of years old.

Old 12-17-2008 | 12:01 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by BadPiggy
The company that you or anyone else works for owes you nothing beyond a paycheck.
The company owes you whatever you agreed upon when they hired you.

Yes - if they change the terms of the contract, and you don't like it, you can walk. Amazingly, companies generally only do this when the job market is tough and they know you are unlikely to quit.

It sucks when you bust your hump for someone and they stick it in your ***.

Old 12-17-2008 | 12:02 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

This is a time of great opportunity, in so many ways. Just as our parents and grandparents rose to the occasion during World War II and even following the Great Depression, I believe this is the time when we will rise up and again be proud (more proud?) of our country and proud of ourselves.

I hope that I am not mistaken about this. I don't think that I am.

Quick Reply: My Company Just Cut Off Our Retirement and Matching 401K