Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Company Just Cut Off Our Retirement and Matching 401K

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008 | 09:14 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

You got a job...and a bike?
I got a job and a bike.....computer access....digital TV....a cell phone...$6000 on a credit card....plus other crap. We bitch about being 'poor'......but if we asked our parents (mine are dead) what they thought....they would say we are a bunch of friggin whiners.
So shut up..go to work, pay off your bills. We made our own choices.

We ARE the economy.

Chuck

Old 12-16-2008 | 09:19 PM
EGlideKid
|
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yachtman,
No offense taken man. We've all come on hard times. I had 7 years of part time jobs (or no job) and not knowing what next week or month was going to bring. I've paid my dues plenty.
It was nice while it lasted to have a good job with decent benefits. My lament was not so much for myself but because I see it as a trend that may not reverse itself easily with American business where the almighty dollar rules all. My purpose was twofold, to get something that shocked me today off my chest and to give others a chance to do the same.
You sound pretty unhappy and bitter and I'm sorry I touched a nerve with you, man.
EGK

Old 12-16-2008 | 09:20 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by nick@nite
I have not had any work in almost 3 months, the only ones we see working are the ilegals, which is really getting old. I have 4 full timers with familys, they are sick and tired of seeing workers form another country who came here ilegaly taking there work, and mine.

There are plenty and I mean plenty of Americans who want and need to work. No one in Washington is listening..........
What have you done about the 'illegals'? Called your local police? Congress person? Legislature? Write an editorial to your newspaper?
Nothing? Anything.......? Do something.

Chuck

Old 12-16-2008 | 09:43 PM
geedee
Advanced

Wow.....I read about and hear all of the bad stories..They are real, Going to work everyday with over 50 people reporting to you, asking daily what is going on, what are the plans for the new year? All I can tell them is as much as I know, we will go forward into the new year with our budget and plans intact. For how long? who knows! It maybe too late for a many to start changing their lives due to old habits, however conditions will make a rat eat onion! I'm debt free except for my nice Harley and if things were to get bad for me, hell it got to go! I've had a few and I can get another. To make a long story longer, hang in there, the sun will shine again!!!

Old 12-16-2008 | 09:45 PM
flgator529
Tourer

Originally Posted by themensh
What have you done about the 'illegals'? Called your local police? Congress person? Legislature? Write an editorial to your newspaper?

Chuck
OR Offered to work as had as they do for the same legal pay ?

Old 12-16-2008 | 09:47 PM
weezo
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Yachtman is outta line. No pension plan is free - you either take the plan or the cash, and many take the cash rather than plan for their future. Then they cry poor when the future comes.

It's just plain wrong that so many businesses rode the bubble - knowing, if they had half a business brain, that it was going to burst - and then dumped their faithful employees on the streets with nothing. I'll bet the owners had taken care of themselves very well when times were good, far more so than they took care of the workers.

I'm sorry to hear that you were taken advantage of and left to figure out what to do. Be strong and keep plugging away, things will get better. And you were right to put money away, you just got screwed by really bad people. Wow, I really hope there is such a thing as karma!!

Old 12-16-2008 | 09:53 PM
Greyboat
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn that is cold hearted. I hate the fact that you hear about companies doing this crap right around Christmas. Seems like ol Scrooge is running a lot of these places.
As others said, with the ways things are right now, I know I am thankful to still have a job.

Prayers to you and your family

Old 12-16-2008 | 09:57 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by themensh

Chuck

Instead of putting all the blame on the gov, why not put some of it on the U.S. businessman/employer who is hiring the illegal aliens instead of Americans because he is too greedy to pay a just wage. Just a thought. There is enough blame to be spread all around.

Since your employer reneged on your promised retirement plan do you think he will mind if you renege on coming in to work tomorrow. I think he will mind.

I'm not against businessmen/employers/owners because I have been one. It just seems like it has been a long time since "company loyalty" worked both ways in this country. Just sayin'.

Old 12-16-2008 | 10:07 PM
weezo
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider

I'm not against businessmen/employers/owners because I have been one. It just seems like it has been a long time since "company loyalty" worked both ways in this country. Just sayin'.
+1 I'm with you...

Old 12-16-2008 | 10:15 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

EGlide,

Like I said, I meant no offense towards you, as I do feel for you and all others caught in the crap. So when I hear these stories, like yours, it ills me. No one who has worked as hard as you sound like you have worked, and I can hear it in your voice, should have to go through issues such as these. And PS, I work on straight commsiion with no benefits or retirement funds. And I do about 10+/- charity hours a week. I make my benefits or there are none.

But, when a rider goes down, or their friend goes down, it's a story for the Forum. It's a riding story. Maybe that story could be better placed in the Forum, but I'll just read it and go on, with my heart going out to that rider.

You would have been better off by placing you heartfelt story elsewhere first, but more importantly you caught me, and obviously others, off...

To tell hard working people that you're pissed off for the reasons you have, and I wont repeat the story, it pisses me and other hard working or out-of-work people off. Don't tell people the boss cut off your extras, whatever they might be, and then show us your 'extra' in the driveway, and think someone will feel for you. Nope!

I'm not so much bittter as I am tired of hearing the 'wrong' people complaining. If you told us that story, and then said you were going to sell the bike, I would have chimed in and said 'isn't there any other way'? And then I would have called you a stand-up guy for selling your 'extra' to use the funds for a new retirement fund for your families future!!

So I apologize from my heart to you, and your family, and I meant no disrespect to you. Like I said, I'm sure you're a hard working man.

Quick Reply: My Company Just Cut Off Our Retirement and Matching 401K