Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooking up the garmin 450

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 09:13 PM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hooking up the garmin 450

Ok. Some help needed from you guys that have mounted and setup the 450/550 on a road glide. Where is the easiest place to hook up the wiring harness. Really really hate to have to remove fairing and/or fuel tank again to run wire. Ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated....thx

Old 12-15-2008, 09:26 PM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I have an 08 Ultra and I used the spare wire off of headlight harness. You may not have that with a RG. This winter I am thinking about hooking up to fuse box. If fuse ever blows it is inside fairing. Not a good place to replace when on the road.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:53 PM
kpb46
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it's not sexy but I put a fused cigarette plug (Radio Shack) on the power cord. Just plug it in. Plus then you can take ALL the stuff off the bike when needed. I installed an extra power supply (cigarette lighter) on my 07 ultra.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:06 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

You don't need to run a wire under the tank to connect the Zumo. There are numerous places if you want to have it toggled on/off by the ignition switch, including these:

1. ACC switch under the fairing insert cap. Splice to O/R wire for switched with ignition key but not the ACC switch, O wire switched both ways.

2. Headlight connector. There are two unused (HDI) female blade connectors with plastic caps--red cap for 12V (ign. switched) and the black cap for ground. Just solder or crimp male blade connectors to the Zumo wires and plug them in.

3. Cig lighter wires, switched by ignition.

Not sure how any of this relates to the RG, but it should be identical or similar.

I don't know of an unswitched source on the bike except at the battery. Some like having the unit unswitched, remaining on at all times for gas stops, etc. and switched off manually. This doesn't require rebooting each time you shut the bike off. But I fear leaving the Zumo on accidentally overnight, and its 3W draw might run the battery down in that period of time, and surely will if you leave the bike unused for several days.

I have had problems with the Zumo not being able to boot when I crank the bike to soon after turning on the ignition switch. If I crank immediately after switching on it will not boot, giving a black screen, and will not power on without a soft reset (push on/off and "+" buttons together). All it needs is 1-2 seconds to boot normally. Garmin says they've never heard of this before, of course, and sent me another unit. Same problem with a different Zumo and harness/mount. They then told me the Zumo should be connected directly to the battery. Baloney. I now just wait 1-2 sec., then crank. The sec. system chirps in about that time interval, so that's my signal.