Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kendon trailer, anyone use it ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 05:44 PM
07JakeelwoodHD
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2 bike kendon trailer for 4 years that I use to go my summer home in the south. 1st very hard to load & unload without help ramp is to narrow I had to replace mine w/ a full lenght fold up ramp. second If you get a 2 bike Kendon get the extra chock for the middle although it trailers ok (and i just mean ok) on the left or right side.Third I wouldnt recomend a Kendon they are overpriced rust very easily and the quality could be much better..Any landscaping trailer with a few modifications would work as good if not better.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:50 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have seen paint jobs ruined being towed on a open trailers i have a road glide

so no trailering for me-ride safe

Old 01-04-2009, 12:17 AM
ajskt
Stage II
Default Kendon Trailer

Happy New Year from Kendon. In response to the question regarding our trailers, they are easy to load and great to tow and store. When I read some of these responses, I understand the issues. The bikes are NOT to be ridden up the ramp. There are many factors that are considered when designing this trailer. If we would have designed a full width ramp, the trailer would have been much heavier and almost impossible to fold and lift to store. It also would not handle properly due to the distribution of weight, i.e. not enough tongue weight. The bed height is 12" off the ground which enables one to easily push the bike up under power. We always recommend, however, if you feel uncomfortable, to have a second person there to help you. You can download our owner's manual from our website at www.kendonusa.com to provide you with loading instructions.

Also, our trailers should not rust. They are powder coated and should provide years of long lasting lustre.

Feel free, should you have any questions, to call us at 800-847-8618.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:18 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ajskt
Happy New Year from Kendon. In response to the question regarding our trailers, they are easy to load and great to tow and store. When I read some of these responses, I understand the issues. The bikes are NOT to be ridden up the ramp. There are many factors that are considered when designing this trailer. If we would have designed a full width ramp, the trailer would have been much heavier and almost impossible to fold and lift to store. It also would not handle properly due to the distribution of weight, i.e. not enough tongue weight. The bed height is 12" off the ground which enables one to easily push the bike up under power. We always recommend, however, if you feel uncomfortable, to have a second person there to help you. You can download our owner's manual from our website at www.kendonusa.com to provide you with loading instructions.

Also, our trailers should not rust. They are powder coated and should provide years of long lasting lustre.

Feel free, should you have any questions, to call us at 800-847-8618.
Well, I don't think offering a longer/wider ramp folding under the Kendon is impossible. Your engineers should be able to figure that out.
Other folding trailers like Aluma offer it and it's much easier to load/unload a bike than it is with the Kendon.
I've used Kendon trailers several times and as much as towing is a breeze, loading/unloading is a real challenge, unless there's someone to help you, which is not always feasible.
You wrote your trailers shouldn't rust. Maybe but they do.
Another big problem is the location of the spare wheel is awful. What do you do when you have a flat tire at night with the trailer loaded? How do you access the spare wheel bolted under the trailer?
All things considered, I much prefer the Aluma. It's much lighter, won't rust, much easier to load/unload, easier to replace a tire, comes with a front shield too, something Kendon charges an arm and a leg for.
Just my experience.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 03-03-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:08 PM
1badbagger
Road Warrior
Received 1,776 Likes on 469 Posts

I have a single bike Kendon and love it. I'm 6'0" and weigh 170 pounds, so I'm no hulk and I load it by myself without a problem. I also have a "strapless" tie down system on it and I can have my bike on it and secured, ready to roll, in about 5 minutes.

For you guys that say... "a touring bike shouldn't be trailered"...to each his own. I can tow my bike, bring my wife along and her guard dog. When we get to our families house, the dog goes in the house and she can take the car and go her way, I can jump on my bike and go my way. We have limited time, so why would I want to waste my time seeing her friends or she waste hers seeing mine? Plus, 1 hour with her mom and dad is fine for me, but she preffers to see him 5 times for a few hours each time.
So, we don't have to pay for a kennel and worry about our dogs health, we each have our own vehicle to come and go as we want......and I can't believe I just wasted 5 minutes of my life explaining my business to you !

Old 03-03-2009, 03:43 PM
strtglyd07
Advanced

I have had the (2) bike trailer for a couple of years now. I am able to load it my self and when someone (DW) offers to help we push it up I accept. My 21yr. old son uses it without any issues to haul his bike and loads his 600CBR RR himself.
Front wheel locks in secure so you can get off the bike to tie it down solo.
Tows very well loaded (1) or (2) up behind the RV or truck. It is very noisy when towing unloaded and you must have the rear wheel lined up and tied down secure directly over the supports on the fold down rear section.
Stores easily with one person.
No issues with rust or other as mentioned above on mine. Easy maint. and clean.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:33 PM
blkjac
Novice
Default Kendon

I have a single bike Kendon. I'm 6' and have no problem loading my '08 Ultra SOLO. Kuryakyn makes a tiedown loop that bolts the forks and makes it even easier.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:39 PM
07JakeelwoodHD
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

AJSKT :wish I would have seen this post sooner so the trailers arent suppose to rust I havent seen one that doesnt rust including new ones on the trailer lots. I purchased the storage box that didnt rust the paint just pealed off in sheets the chrome rims are rusted and pitted and dont get started about the lights bulbs have to be replaced several times during a trip.There a decent trailer put they have very poor powder coating/chroming and I keep my trailer stored inside. I can post some pictures if you want also I wash clean and polish my trailer after every trip and it still looks like crap..

Old 03-04-2009, 09:21 AM
rooster3171
Cruiser

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Well, I don't think offering a longer/wider ramp folding under the Kendon is impossible. Your engineers should be able to figure that out.
Other folding trailers like Aluma offer it and it's much easier to load/unload a bike than it is with the Kendon.
I've used Kendon trailers several times and as much as towing is a breeze, loading/unloading is a real challenge, unless there's someone to help you, which is not always feasible.
You wrote your trailers shouldn't rust. Maybe but they do.
Another big problem is the location of the spare wheel is awful. What do you do when you have a flat tire at night with the trailer loaded? How do you access the spare wheel bolted under the trailer?
All things considered, I much prefer the Aluma. It's much lighter, won't rust, much easier to load/unload, easier to replace a tire, comes with a front shield too, something Kendon charges an arm and a leg for.
Just my experience.
+1. I had a Kendon for the last 5 years and now that I think about it, you're right, the ramp can be much better and the positioning of the spare tire sucks. I had to remove mine when trailering, they are so low that they hit everywhere you stop for gas.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Buzzsaw
Road Captain

I have an older single Rail kendon, I modified it with a kickstand holder when I first got it to help me load it solo, then just recently added the Wheel Chock to it. With the wheel chock it is easy to power up the ramp standing next to the bike, the chock holds it secure while you tie it down. getting it out of the chock is a little bit of work, but once you figure it out with someone helping, you can do it on your own with little effort. The fact it takes up very little space in the garage is nice and it toes like a dream. Just used mine to bring the bike on a 10 day road trip with the wife. She has a 30 min butt so I let her use the truck to do her thing and I get to play on my bike in different areas. Is a great compromise for me when I have to take her along on the trip :-)

It is good for what it is and if you have limited space and are not going to use it all the time I highly recommend it. It is also great for dropping the bike off or picking it up from service when you cant find a ride.

I would recommend it especially if you are getting a good price.

Quick Reply: Kendon trailer, anyone use it ?