Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Paint-job for 08 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Scubadog
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Custom Paint-job for 08 Ultra

I bought my Black Pearl Ultra about 8 months ago. Now thinking about a little custom paint for the tins. Nothin radical, maybe some light gray ghost flames on top of the already dark gray (Black Pearl), loose the red pin-striping and change out the tank emblems.

Couple of quick questions for anyone that might know about what I might getting into.

1) Ballpark cost?

2) Can the factory red pin-striping be removed or is it under the clear-coat and I’m stuck with it until I do a complete paint job.

Thanks!

Old 12-15-2008, 11:47 AM
TexasSG
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

a) Probably cost about three times what you think it should.
b) Nope, pinstripes are under the clear.
c) Art/paintwork is like anything else, you definately get what you pay for!

Old 12-15-2008, 11:55 AM
rc9636
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stripes are under the clear so removal would require complete redo. Cost is going to depend on the painter. I had ghost flames put on my fatboy on top of the factory job and it was about $250 (with me bringing the sheet metal to the painter).

Old 12-15-2008, 12:10 PM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good old school striper can add flames that look pretty cool and won't cost a fortune. This is the guy that done my pinstriping. Check out his flame pictures. http://www.briankitepinstriping.com/

Old 12-15-2008, 01:18 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

if your gonna do it.... do it right, ya usually get what you pay for. as mentioned stripes are under clearcoat and a pain to remove

Old 12-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Cyphilis
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A full dress machine like an Ultra, Id say around $1200-2000 depending on if you ride the bike in, or just bring in all the parts off the bike. Thats for the ghost flames like you want
If its any less, you better make damn sure he has a BIG book of bikes he has done in the past. Its always good to see some bikes in person that he has painted several years before to see how the paint is holding up and if the customer is still happy. So don't let him give you references,.. do your homework, and be prepared to pay for a high quality paintjob.

As stated before, if your just unhappy with your pinstripes a good pinstriper can cover anything you have now.

Oh, and I'm a painter so I tell you I would be pretty close to prices. Don't let Joe down at your local body shop paint it either. They are usually no where near qualified to do a custom paint job and will not take the time it takes to give you the job your wanting. Ghost flames sounds like an easy addition, but you have to still sand the entire bike, tape off the flames (last dresser I did, the flames took 16 hours just to tape off) then spray your pearls or candys, then clear coat, final sand, then buff. If you just want some flames on your bike, you might consider this. With that color of black you have, would look killer with some gloss black flames pinstriped on. They won't be "BAM!!" but and they won't be ghosted, but a nice clean look. Its also one of those paint jobs you would have to see in person,.. pictures would not do it justice. A good pinstriper could incorporate whats already there on your bike, and work the flames into them.. again something to think about.

Last edited by Cyphilis; 12-15-2008 at 03:31 PM. Reason: forgot stuff