Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebag Poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 09:17 PM
UGGA
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Saddlebag Poll

I've gotta disagree with the posters above who said that the hard bags hold more than the leather bags. No way - in fact the leather bags hold a LOT more than the hard bags. I've put a lot of miles on my 2000 RKC and my Street Glide, and I'm very disappointed with the amount of gear that the hard bags on my SG hold compared the leather bags on my RKC. Looks is purely subjective - everyone has their own opinion. However, as far as capacity is concerned, no opinions here - the leather bags hold way more. The leather bags on the Road King Custom are small (I had an '04), but not the leather bags on the Road King Classic.

Doug

Old 04-10-2006, 09:53 PM
KBES BAGGER
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: UGGA

I've gotta disagree with the posters above who said that the hard bags hold more than the leather bags. No way - in fact the leather bags hold a LOT more than the hard bags. I've put a lot of miles on my 2000 RKC and my Street Glide, and I'm very disappointed with the amount of gear that the hard bags on my SG hold compared the leather bags on my RKC. Looks is purely subjective - everyone has their own opinion. However, as far as capacity is concerned, no opinions here - the leather bags hold way more. The leather bags on the Road King Custom are small (I had an '04), but not the leather bags on the Road King Classic.

Doug

DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!

I was reading through this thread and was wondering who has actually had both. I love the look's of both, just depends on the bike. However I can fit a **** load more into my RKC bag's versus my old Street Glide bags. Any one who has had both style bags will agree with UGGA and I, garanteed.

KB

Old 04-10-2006, 10:16 PM
BladeMan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had both, and I like the looks of the hard bags better.

Old 04-10-2006, 10:39 PM
mndemohead
Tourer

Hard bags all the way........They hold more, lock, and weater much better. Not too mention they look much better.

Old 04-10-2006, 11:05 PM
dkingiii
5th Gear

I have a 2006 RKC and was thinking about getting hard bags to change the look and for those times when I want to have the added security of a lock. Two questions. 1. Does anyone have a picture with hard bags on a RKC? 2. Where is the best place to buy hard bags?

Old 04-10-2006, 11:10 PM
Groffitti
Advanced

I have the leather bags but do agree the hard bags look better.

Old 04-10-2006, 11:45 PM
Red Road King
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been thinking about a set of hard bags for my RK Classic in addition to the leather bags. Personally I like them both and really like the idea of configuring the bike to meet my mood. That's what makes the RK a great bike. Leather bags and loose the windshield and it's got the perfect attitude for cruising through town. Add the widshield and tour pack and you're ready for a road trip. Add harbags and a removable farring and you have another bike all together and the RK looks great in every configuration.

Old 04-10-2006, 11:58 PM
Matt115
Advanced

I like the clean look of the Custom bags (That's why I bought one), but I like the fact that you can paint the hard bags along with the bike, BUT I don't like the square look of the hard bags. You would think MOCO would design a newer, fresher, smoother hard bag. Beetle bags by Corbin look really nice, but they don't look like they hold anything.

Old 04-11-2006, 01:36 AM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

I like the looks of both. I just don't like the idea of putting plastic on my bike, other than the windshield. Plastic or Leather? I only had to think about it once.

Old 04-11-2006, 03:45 AM
Kahuna
Road Master

UGGA,

I agree with you 100%! The leather bags do hold more! I have had an '02 RKC and I was able to fit my HD Spoiler half helmet in the leather bag. Now, I have an RG with hard bags, and it can barely fit a regular half helmet. I remember stuffing those leather bags to the gill, and wondered how I got all my stuff in them.

Of course, there are disadvantages with the leather bags too! First, they don't come with locks (only RK custom bags do) for the bags. And, the lids do get warped after a few years in the heat (much faster in AZ also.) You also have to condition them often.

With the hard bags, they lock! And, they are easy to clean. But, if you scratch them, the scratches are more visible.

ORIGINAL: UGGA

Doug

Quick Reply: Saddlebag Poll