Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time w/passenger tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Hardly Dangerous
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: First time w/passenger tips

Very important! Make sure she is aware of how hot the pipes get even through clothes and I think the main thing for her is to relax. Just go with the flow. For you everyone already mentioned stopping time is longer. Practice.

Old 04-11-2006, 01:10 PM
ricoman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PhilM & Renegade hit it right on. Practice with her until she feels OK with sitting back there. When she gets on the bike make sure you are both ready for that and hold the bike with the front brake (in neutral) until you are ready to go. Also, tell her to never put a foot down- never-never, until she is getting off. Practice the getting on and off part while sitting still and do this until the bike doesn't tilt while she does it.
After she rides a few times on the back you'll have a hard time going somewhere solo!

Old 04-11-2006, 01:47 PM
Candy Red Road Glide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AMEN to the hard to get to go solo part!!!

Old 04-11-2006, 01:49 PM
05Fatty
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

WOW!!! You guys are great. I think I may have her read this also.

Old 04-11-2006, 01:58 PM
DeathWind
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PhilM and Renegade are correct. The passenger does not need to lean with the motorcycle. Just like when you ride, you go where you are looking. All the passenger needs to do is look over the driver's left/right shoulder in the direction of the turn. (left turn, left shoulder - right turn, right shoulder). The passengers body will react naturally, just as your body reacts when you are looking at the point where you want the bike to go. This is the same stuff I teach in motorcycle safety courses.

Additionally, DON'T SCUFF THE BAGS. I have my passenger (wife or daughter) get on and off by stepping onto the left passenger footboard, stand, and then swing other leg over. This gives them the extra height to swing over the bags. When trying to swing on/off with their foot on the ground they hit the bags. Plus, they only mount/dismount while I'm on the bike holding it steady. So far it's kept the bags safer.

Ride Safe...

Old 04-11-2006, 03:19 PM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is this one time or is she going to be riding frequently? If it's just one time then take the time to keep her from getting burned on the exhaust and mounting/dismounting lecture (the bags.) If she is going to ride more often you should invest some real time in equipment usage (rain suit) helmet fastening, passing etc. Enjoy the ride with both of you. Don't scare her. Make sure that she knows not to drip gas on the tank when she is through filling up.[8D]

Old 04-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Don't forget to tell her to give you the reach around every so often (depending on the length of the ride).

I don't relly have anything constructive to add, as everyone else covered it pretty well, so thought I'd remind you to have fun riding (regardless of if someone is on back!)

Old 04-11-2006, 03:42 PM
05Fatty
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

This will be an ongoing thing. Fortunately she has taken the Riders Edge course so she sould have a good starting point.

Old 04-11-2006, 03:53 PM
Inforit
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Cryptoboy

Don't forget to tell her to give you the reach around every so often (depending on the length of the ride).

I don't relly have anything constructive to add, as everyone else covered it pretty well, so thought I'd remind you to have fun riding (regardless of if someone is on back!)
Make sure you read the post properly. Fatty said a passanager which could be anyone including a mother in law.

Old 04-11-2006, 11:19 PM
gjp
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

she'll need gas money

Quick Reply: First time w/passenger tips