Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock mufflers on duals?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 02:17 PM
shekmark
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Stock mufflers on duals?

Does anyone know if this can be done? V&H, Reinhard, or whatever brand of headpipes, or even a 2-1. Just want stuck muffler without stock headpipes.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:29 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know what year bike you're talking about. From '07 the touring bikes have completely different design "mufflers" left to right. The left really isn't much of a muffler in the conventional sense. It's more like a vented resonating chamber. I doubt it would work well as just a muffler for one cylinder much less work well-enough-the-same as the other stock one when used in a "true dual" setup. Sorry, but I wouldn't do it and don't recommend it.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:35 PM
shekmark
Road Master

I would be using two of the real mufflers. It's my 2008 I'm talking about. That's interesting about the left "muffler".

Old 12-14-2008, 02:36 PM
DoomBuggy
Road Master

glens is correct about the '07 and newer stock pipes. I ended up using the FullSac TD conversion kit and a pair of CVO slip-ons which are just a tad bit louder then stock, but both flow the same. Took care of the heat on my right leg, but my local tuner was not able to get better then about 70 hp and 81 ftlbs of torque out of them. However, the bike does seem to run really strong and smooth in the rpm range I ride in.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member

Not sure why you want to do what your asking about? Is the look of the stock pipes bothering you? Do you want a quiet bike?

Old 12-14-2008, 02:59 PM
shekmark
Road Master

I don't have my stock pipes anymore and the D&D is too loud for my touring. I want back to stock loudness and just figured it might be better for heat issues to go with dual headers. Doombuggy, will those Fullsac's accept any stock muffler?

Old 12-14-2008, 03:02 PM
shekmark
Road Master

Justgot off fullsac website. They only go to 2007. Cool idae though.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:37 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

The newest page on the entire Fullsac.com website dates from Sept. 2007, so I wouldn't go by them saying the products are only for up-to-2007 bikes. There's no reason in the world the conversion kit wouldn't work on an '08 as well.

This "dual" conversion requires a remapping of the EFI somehow (I know, their site says otherwise, but I disagree). See the comparative VE tables from the last SERT software here. I didn't think to do one for the ignition timing tables, or maybe they were the same, I forget and I don't have a Windows session running anywhere to check. The files were base maps included with the software. Since the software assigns the colors in the graphs based on highest and lowest values in the individual graph, I assigned common high and low values in all the 0-throttle corners so all the graph colors would correspond to the same values to make the comparison clearer/simpler.

The changes require a tuner capable of mapping front and rear cylinders separately.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:42 PM
EriCal
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure I understand your question, but my Wife has V&H true duals and stock mufflers on her 07 RK. I put the True Duals on with SE mufflers but that combination was harsh to her ears so I put the OE muffers on. That combination sounds very nice - not as nice as the SE mufflers with stock pipes but still very nice. Provides a nice rapp on shifts too.

Eric

Old 12-14-2008, 05:40 PM
shiftless
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
Default re

already answered

Last edited by shiftless; 12-14-2008 at 05:43 PM. Reason: already answered

Quick Reply: Stock mufflers on duals?