Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock mufflers on duals?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 06:32 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EriCal
I... my Wife has V&H true duals and stock mufflers on her 07 RK.
How did you tune that setup?

Old 12-14-2008, 06:42 PM
hythomasf
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Can I combine on a 2002 RKC V&H TD with Stock mufflers?

Old 12-14-2008, 08:17 PM
badjustbad
Tourer

I have had the same idea of reinstalling my stock mufflers for long trips when I have my wife on the back. She finds the V&H Duals too loud and it only takes a couple of minutes to swap mufflers. I just looked inside the stock mufflers - there is no way they would work with my V&H true duals. The right side is the real muffler, the left side is not a muffler and is far too restrictive.

I think someone else suggested they would buy the same muffler as the right side and put it on the left. The left and right are not interchangeable so this won't work.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:55 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

It might be that '06 mufflers are the same both sides. The H-D-branded P&A mufflers are only a few dB louder than stock. Sound pressure and sound power are measured differently. They're both logarithmic scales, one has a factor of 10 and the other 20, I forget which is which, maybe the sound power is the 20x. Anyway, 3 dB difference in perceived sound level is just about the minimum distinct difference that can be typically detected by a human. I believe all those mufflers are the same both sides.

You'll still need to address the fuel programming if you change system types.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:38 AM
mark2flhtci
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 08 Ultra with V/H duals, stock mufflers, S/E intake, and a S/E racing tuner and had it dyno tuned.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:05 AM
shekmark
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mark2, how did you deal with the mufflers being different, right to left? Does someone know if HD Touring mufflers are different on each side.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:42 AM
rc9636
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pipes are not what's causing your heat issue, it's the factory lean condition which is partially caused by the stock mufflers.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:28 PM
badjustbad
Tourer

Originally Posted by shekmark
Mark2, how did you deal with the mufflers being different, right to left? Does someone know if HD Touring mufflers are different on each side.
That's what I was saying above - they are very different. Looking inside my stock '08 RKC mufflers, the right side has baffles the left has a wire mesh. Even if you didn't mind the different sounds coming out of each pipe, they are going to flow differently and will be difficult/impossible to tune properly, which totally defeats the reason for putting true duals on the bike in the first place.

Dealing with the heat issue by installing duals is a different story, I'm just referring to the potential for increased power (and sound).

Old 12-15-2008, 02:08 PM
shekmark
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sorry, I mis-stated my question. I want to know if HD catalog screaming eagle touring mufflers replacements are the same on both sides. I'm not sure if they are called Screaming Eagle, but I mean the ones in the cataloge that guys on other threads were complaining that they were too quiet.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:40 PM
DoomBuggy
Road Master

Originally Posted by shekmark
Justgot off fullsac website. They only go to 2007. Cool idae though.
Check again, they have them for the '08 with the 02 bung welded in. That's what I am running on my '08. And to answer to your question, stock slip-ons will fit, but the 08 standard slip-ons are not the same left to right. You need the SE or CVO mufflers to do this. ( Both are pretty quiet )

Last edited by DoomBuggy; 12-15-2008 at 06:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Stock mufflers on duals?