Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those with heated gear, step inside please..

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 09:19 AM
gobucks
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those with heated gear, step inside please..

Tried to ride late into the year as possible,(didn't want wires hanging everywhere) only made it to november with base layers, both pant and shirt, glove and jacket liners, and chaps. All good into the 40's. Next year want to ride into 30's or even 20's. seems heated will have to be the option. Buddy says battery can't handle more than two garments. I was going to purchase this spring the whole deal: heated gloves, socks, pants, and jacket liners. If he is correct, and can't use all four, for me it would have to be the socks and gloves. Is he correct? thanks in advance.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:26 AM
Dennydp
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive run socks,pant liner,jacket liner and gloves since late 96 on my 97 Roadking no problem.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:27 AM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I held off for many years no wearing heated clothes... DUMB!! this year got a heated vest and what a difference some wire made!!! makes riding in 20's almost pleasureable
just a thought

Old 12-13-2008, 09:39 AM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

Wife and I both have heated jacket liners and gloves. No battery problems even when riding country roads like the Smokies.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:42 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 502 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by gobucks
Tried to ride late into the year as possible,(didn't want wires hanging everywhere) only made it to november with base layers, both pant and shirt, glove and jacket liners, and chaps. All good into the 40's. Next year want to ride into 30's or even 20's. seems heated will have to be the option. Buddy says battery can't handle more than two garments. I was going to purchase this spring the whole deal: heated gloves, socks, pants, and jacket liners. If he is correct, and can't use all four, for me it would have to be the socks and gloves. Is he correct? thanks in advance.
Go to the various web sites... each one list the ampage/wattage used by the garments... add the garments up, and then look at the power output of the bike.. it IS that simple.... for the HD's I BELIEVE you're ok.. the Triumph, I don't know.. but look up POWERLET battery powered gear...
http://www.premiercycleaccessories.c...er_p/10550.htm
you might want an extra battery pack...

Jacket liner and gloves are a must... socks and pants are a nice extra... but if you have a good pair of chaps, I think the socks are all you need (says the man who's awaiting his gerbing pants)

Gran Prix is having a 20% sale on Gerbing heated gear (they make the HD brand)
http://www.grandprixmotorsports.com/default.asp

Gerbing outlet (hit or miss this time of year size wise)
http://heatedclothingoutlet.com/index.shtml

Old 12-13-2008, 09:44 AM
schwartzkm
Intermediate

One word: GERBING! I rode MANY years without heated gear and now that I have it I'll never ride in the winter without it on.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:17 AM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only have the Gerbing G-3 gloves at this point. I use Firstgears H2-overpants, have always kept warm and dry and when it gets really cold, into the twenties, I have a Firstgear kilamanjaro jacket. I'd like to get some heated socks. But with the right gear, heated clothing can be kept toa minimum. The twenties don't happen too often here, it's mainly 30's to 40's and wet.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:32 AM
Opossum
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't spend the money on pants and socks, if you keep your core warm ie vest liner then the limbs will get warm blood. I've ridden in 18 degrees with boots leathers and a heated vest and gloves, four hours in the saddle and warm and cozy. Definitly Gerbing!

Old 12-13-2008, 11:07 AM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Gerbing's Heated Gear is the only way to fly. I ride almost daily at work as long as the roads are not slick. Once it gets below 40 I start with the electric, which as me covered from my neck to my toes and I am very comfortable down to 20 F.

A pair of good windproof overpants like the harley nylon FXRG will keep your legs warm, but I can't use them at work so I have a size larger breeches that I wear gerbing pant liners under and electric socks are a must with uninsulated boots.

I suggest a controller so you can adjust the output, I use the dual controller.

No problems with the charging system.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:07 AM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

About a month ago I ran from Memphis to Knoxville and back one weekend to pick up a trailer. I rode with my gerbing jacket liner, gloves, and socks in weather down to 20 degrees with heavy rain for most of the way back and had absolutely no problems. It allows me to be able to ride year round.

Quick Reply: Those with heated gear, step inside please..