Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those with heated gear, step inside please..

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 11:08 AM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

forgot to mention that at times I was using the mean city cycles heated seat as well. So in my experience the electrics can handle it no problem.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:55 AM
roadroids
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had no problems with it. The trick, according to Gerbings, is to be sure you turn off or disconnect the heated clothes before you shut off the engine and to turn them on after the engine has started. Been doing that and have not had any electrical/battery issues.
I use the pant liners under my chaps and the jacket liner under my leather jacket. I need the gloves and sox too. Guess my circulation is different -
Having the entire system allows you to add or subtract heated pieces depending on the conditions. For me the gloves and the jacket are the first things I add once it gets into the 50's. I use the dual controller to dial it up or down depending on how I feel.
IMO you will really like the heated clothes.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:08 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You get this suit: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...iece-Suit.aspx

And heated vest and gloves with a decent pair of boots, you can easily ride during cold weather.

Also you might want one of these as well: http://www.schampa.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1

Last edited by mattman22033; 12-13-2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:12 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

How are they usually hooked into the electrical system? Just attached to the pos and neg posts of the battery? A jacket liner by itself is of no concern as far as overloading the system or blowing fuses?

Old 12-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Funnygirl
Road Captain

OK, you guys talked me into it.
I just went to this site & ordered a jacket liner & gloves.
http://heatedclothingoutlet.com/index.shtml
They were all out of the G3s but I ordered the textile ones.

The dual controllers were sold out too.
Word has it you really need one... right?

Old 12-13-2008, 02:03 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I have gloves and a liner. She has only the liner. The bike handles the juice pull with no problems. Since a RK doesn't have a voltage gauge, I installed a LED on to monitor my charging system. The only time the meter drops down is at an idle with the gear on full throttle. At that point, we just cut the controllers back to half speed...or at least I do. I spent the money for the OL a controller only to learn that she likes the on and off switch better.

Pants liners? I don't want them. I guess they would be fine if all you did was stay on the bike in sub-freezing weather. However, they are bulky. If you stop somewhere, say a restaurant, you are still gonna be wearing those liners under your pants and sweating your nutz off.

We left Va one year headed to Daytona on the interstate at 17 degrees. We rode 200 miles before it got up to 32. We did just fine with heated gear up top and chaps, jeans, and poly pro long underwear on the bottom.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:52 PM
tmblweed
Road Captain

Find out how many watts your alternator puts out. Gerbing stuff ( and HD , made by Gerbing) tells you how many watts each garmet draws while in use. Add it up, I'v never had a problem running my coat and gloves and I have a buddy that runs that plus pants and socks, no problem. ( Remember to subtract the amount your headlight etc draws also )

Last edited by tmblweed; 12-13-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Standard
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use to try to ride in the cold and mostly rode in pain. It makes all the difference in the world when you are warm and riding in the cold weather versus when you are cold riding in the cold weather.

Its funny to me how many people ask how I can stand riding here in NJ at this time of year. When I tell them I have heated gloves and protection from the wind with facemasks and wool hat under my biker beanie and such, they always say its too cold to ride. I try to tell them what a difference it makes with the heated gloves, but they always seem to not believe me.

I ordered the overpant from Gerbing. They came in and were too short. The pants were made wrong versus the size I ordered(XL). The customer service there is unreal. 2 Minutes into my call......."Sir, we will custom make your pants "

I cant wait for them to get here.

Ride Safe and Warm......

Old 12-13-2008, 04:17 PM
ucommbxny
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just got the heated gloves, next is the jacket liner. long johns and chaps have worked good so far for legs and heavy socks for feet, with soft lowers

Old 12-13-2008, 05:20 PM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts

Gerbings jacket liner and gloves...

get the liner instead of the vest... more convenient with plugs on the wrists for the gloves, instead routing wires up your arms.

Quick Reply: Those with heated gear, step inside please..