Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride Like a Pro IV

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006 | 06:11 PM
ronstew
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ride Like a Pro IV

Does this video address the question of whether it is good practise to lay a bike down once a crash is unavoidable?

Old 07-20-2006 | 10:04 PM
Harry Manback
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: ronstew

Does this video address the question of whether it is good practise to lay a bike down once a crash is unavoidable?

It really does not answer that question, but if you watch Ride Like a Pro and Surving the Mean Streets and then actually practice the techniques and maneuvers taught in the video; the chances of you ever having to make that decision will be greatly reduced.

I cannot reccomend this video enough. I have been pushing it on all my riding buddies relentlesly.

Old 07-20-2006 | 10:06 PM
motorman857
Former Sponsor

I teach you how NOT to lay the bike down. If the bike goes down, you have crashed to avoid a crash and that makes no sense . The bike can stop much quicker on it's tires than when sliding on the ground. But, if you want to put the bike on the ground, simply jam on the rear brake and lock the tire, down ya go. My dvd has two segments on proper braking technique and several braking exercises I'm sure you'll find very helpfull.
ORIGINAL: ronstew

Old 07-21-2006 | 01:59 AM
ZookHD
Tourer

Years ago, I thought I was a good rider because I could go fast, then I went to motor officer school. What an eye opener! It's all about control and technique. Take a go fast guy and have him try to manover through some of the cone mazes. Grab a chair and some popcorn because it's gonna be entertaining! I haven't seen any of these videos, but if will help save a fellow rider from injury, I'm all for it. ZOOK

Old 07-21-2006 | 02:29 AM
Hugh Betcha
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ordered mine. Thanks for the tip.

Old 07-21-2006 | 09:08 AM
motorman857
Former Sponsor

I know what you mean. I've had several pro racers and some stunt riders come to my class and get humbled pretty quickly. The good part is when the racers realize they already know how to use head and eyes and the rear brake, they quickly learn the friction zone and it all falls into place and they become better rounded riders. The stunt riders know the friction zone and the rear brake and just have to figure out head and eyes. When they do, they stop dropping their bikes in their stunt shows.

Old 07-21-2006 | 11:11 AM
Basz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: motorman857
The stunt riders know the friction zone and the rear brake and just have to figure out head and eyes.
It's amazing! Jerry points out these three basics at the beginning of his video and then shows you how to utilze them.
Practicing those basics with the drills makes it become natural.
I get experienced riders asking me how I can U-turn my Ultra in such tight spots so smoothly!

It's a great tool for new and experienced riders.

Old 07-22-2006 | 08:14 PM
EDCT100
Road Captain

I'm convinced. I plan on ordering this weekend. Great information provided by many. It's appreciated. Thanks.

Ed

Old 08-27-2006 | 03:10 PM
Sleeps In Trees
Road Master

I'm curious. I have the DVD & watched it a couple times, & I've practiced the techniques enough to know that I need a lot of work. But I have a question. Isn't riding "in the friction zone" the same as riding your brake & slipping your clutch? I was always told not to do this...& it seems to me like doing it's gotta be hard on equipment (friction disks & brake pads) & would get down right expensive!!?? What am I missing here?

VicW.

Old 08-27-2006 | 04:15 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sleeps In Trees

get down right expensive!!?? What am I missing here?
Hey Vic.... It's kinda like "Power costs $$$", we to a much lesser degree becoming a much better ride costs too ~ if you wanna look at it that way.

Several of us have done these and other similar practices for quite some time. I bet I did these practices 50 times on my old RG and put over 40k miles on it and never replaced clutch disks or slippers. I did, however, go through rear pads much quicker during "practice season" than just normal riding....

To me, it's an incredibly small investment.

Quick Reply: Ride Like a Pro IV