Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Batwing owners? How cold do your hands get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Mike5959
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Batwing owners? How cold do your hands get?

I am in the northeast and driving in the winter my fingers FREEZE! I don't like wearing bulky gloves. I am looking at a SG or EGS and I am hoping the batwing blocks enough wind that I can get away with the gloves I wear now.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:06 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

In the colder weather I wear thinsulate gloves and the batwing does block some wind. Come December 1 she is put to bed until March.It's not worth taking it out for a onezy or twozy. When I was young and stupid I would, but now I am just old and stupid.

Last edited by soos; 12-11-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:10 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rode in a toy run last Saturday and it was 23 when I left the house. I have gloves I bought from Leatherup, dressed in layers(including thermal undies), leathers and rode 20+ miles into town...the only real problem was the cold fingers. When the temp gets so cold, the only thing you can do is either heated gloves or grips...and no, I have never tried either one. The batwing has to break a lot of the wind but it ain't THE answer. I would not have even thought of going for just for a little pleasure ride in such temperatures. It has to be somewhat more protective than the bike in your sig though!

Old 12-11-2008, 06:23 PM
EriCal
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like heated grips. I have them on my 95 RK and on the Wife's 07 RK and plan to put them on the 09. My Wife also has heated gloves.

The heated grips are the most valueable, in my opinion, in MODERATE cold. That is when it is cold enough to be painful but not cold enough to get me to stop and change gloves.

E

Old 12-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike5959
...hoping the batwing blocks enough wind that I can get away with the gloves I wear now.
As compared to my Goldwing, the fairing on my Ultra Classic blocks a lot more wind. I could not ride in temps much below 50 degrees on the Wing without electric gloves. With the UC, temps as low as 35 degrees are not an issue and that's using Olympia WindTex mid-season gloves.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:01 PM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Compared to my old RKC, it's like summer year 'round.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have electric gear so what I do is wear military polypro liners inside H-D insulated leather gloves. This combo keeps the hands pretty comfy unless the mercury goes below 32. The Bat does break the wind over the hands, but they will still get cold. Gotta keep wiggling those digits and keep the blood flowing. Not much you can do other than to buy plug-in gear and I won't do that. Black ice and road salt keep me from bothering to bring out the scoot.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike5959
I am in the northeast and driving in the winter my fingers FREEZE! I don't like wearing bulky gloves. I am looking at a SG or EGS and I am hoping the batwing blocks enough wind that I can get away with the gloves I wear now.
Like you, I don't like wearing thick gloves. Heated grips and handlebar covers (Hippo hands, etc) let me use thin gloves all winter long.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Screamin Steve
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the HD gauntlet glove. They are a little bulky but you do get used to them. Living here in Denver, we ride year round and the combination of the gloves and the fairing make it fairly comfortable riding.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:30 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I also went from a Road King to an EGS. One of the first things I noticed was that my hands stayed warmer. Of course I still wear good gloves.

Quick Reply: Batwing owners? How cold do your hands get?