Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

modified mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008 | 05:29 PM
FLoTR
|
Road Master
Default modified mufflers

Well I finally got all of that friggin pipe out of my swapmeet mufflers. Now, I'm gonna install full length 2 inch pipe with Big City Thunders inside of the cans. Total cost- $70. I liked the baffles when I had straights on my lowrider but my cheap pipe and cheap chrome started turning brown, So I bought a ThunderHeader for it. Really liked that ThunderHeader sound but comparing the $'s,,,,,,,, can't beat it!

Old 12-10-2008 | 06:16 PM
monte64
Cruiser

Please keep me posted on what you have going.

I have in the works setting up a set of cherry bomb mufflers, 2" glass packs. I have on right now the turned down Samson's and they don't have the low rumble of my old supertrapp se's. Length is my concern, I can only go with a max length of 29" before I would need to cut my fender and bags. Thanks!

Old 12-10-2008 | 06:32 PM
FLoTR
|
Road Master

should have pics this weekend.

Old 12-13-2008 | 08:45 AM
FLoTR
|
Road Master

Godzilla!!! Put my muffs on with the 2 inch pipe with baffles and it is WAY TOOOOO LOUD! I can't believe how much louder it is compared to my Lowrider. It's the same setup. Does 8 cubic inches make that much difference? The Lowrider sounded just right but my RG is embassingly loud. Swapped them back to the factory muffs immediately.

Old 12-13-2008 | 08:55 AM
phat96
Road Warrior

Looking forward to seeing how this works out, those are some loud baffles to begin with, did they recommend these to you?

Old 12-13-2008 | 09:04 AM
FLoTR
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by phat96
Looking forward to seeing how this works out, those are some loud baffles to begin with, did they recommend these to you?
I had them on my Lowrider, 2 inch straight pipe with the Big City Thunders. It was fine. So I slipped 2 inch pipe with BCT's inside of the factory muffler and me and my neighbor had to holler at each other.

Old 12-13-2008 | 04:29 PM
ucommbxny
Road Master

i dont mean to hijack your thread but check out this thread from the general harley chat section of this forum
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...-required.html

Old 12-13-2008 | 08:55 PM
phat96
Road Warrior

Here in Cave Creek AZ, you have to ride through a small piece of land that is in Care Free to get to Cave Creek the town, Care Free has a sound ordinance of 80 decibles or else. Cave Creek the western town does not. It's a pain looking over your shoulder or looking for the decible pointing cops in there cars but those folks find the rumble offensive. A holes, Some guys here on the forum say that the Rush 2.25's are really loud so I ride through in 4 or 5 gear, but the sound of the BCT are great sounding but I don't need the man and the hassel.

Good luck on your pipe.

Old 12-13-2008 | 09:16 PM
FLoTR
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by phat96
Here in Cave Creek AZ, you have to ride through a small piece of land that is in Care Free to get to Cave Creek the town, Care Free has a sound ordinance of 80 decibles or else. Cave Creek the western town does not. It's a pain looking over your shoulder or looking for the decible pointing cops in there cars but those folks find the rumble offensive. A holes, Some guys here on the forum say that the Rush 2.25's are really loud so I ride through in 4 or 5 gear, but the sound of the BCT are great sounding but I don't need the man and the hassel.

Good luck on your pipe.
Thanks for the well wishes. They sounded really good on the lowrider, but now on the RG, short of the wild idle it was as loud as something you'd hear at the track. Maybe it was where I placed them in the pipe, which was 25 inches deep. That may have been to much straight pipe left to vibrate. I cut one of the pipes back out today and cuttin the weld took only 15 minutes. I'm gonna shorten the pipe to about 10 inchs and maybe catch some of that 4 inch fiberglassed can before it heads back in the pipe. Wish me some more luck.

Old 12-14-2008 | 10:09 AM
FLoTR
|
Road Master

OK, cut out the 25 inch pipes and shortened them to 10. Tacked them back in and it has a little lower than stock tone but they are acceptably louder. Now to find another tig welder. I can't sneak them back into work again

Quick Reply: modified mufflers