Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

modified mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008 | 06:49 PM
FLoTR
|
Road Master
Default Boom!

That's what my pipes say. Went from 10 inches down to 5 inches. Really low tone. This mod has bought me a good bit of time. No need to run out and spend a grand on exhaust just yet. Just thought I'd update the millions of people interested in my venture

Old 12-16-2008 | 12:32 AM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by gtad1
That's what my pipes say. Went from 10 inches down to 5 inches. Really low tone. This mod has bought me a good bit of time. No need to run out and spend a grand on exhaust just yet. Just thought I'd update the millions of people interested in my venture
Lots of cheap mufflers out there, why bother with all this nonsense? I purchased modified stockers on ebay for under $120 and they rock.

Old 12-16-2008 | 04:47 PM
FLoTR
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by ezriderpgh
Lots of cheap mufflers out there, why bother with all this nonsense? I purchased modified stockers on ebay for under $120 and they rock.
well I'm makin mine and they BOOM! and for about $40 less. If it's nonsense why'd you bother to buy what someone else BOTHERED to do?

Old 12-16-2008 | 05:06 PM
monte64
Cruiser

It's fun to just tinker, heck, half of all the tinkering I do cost me more in the long.

Old 12-16-2008 | 06:43 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

If you're doing it just for kicks and for tinkers sake and to kill some time then all's good, but if you're really looking for a good sound at a cheap price (until you can or decide to upgrade to an aftermarket system) I found the ones I have on ebay, done by a professional that has done thousands (and the mufflers he uses are brand new take offs), with no headaches to be the way to go. I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon, that's how happy I am with my mod mufflers.

Old 12-16-2008 | 08:06 PM
FLoTR
|
Road Master

If you're doing it just for kicks and for tinkers sake and to kill some time then all's good, but if you're really looking for a good sound at a cheap price (until you can or decide to upgrade to an aftermarket system) I found the ones I have on ebay, done by a professional that has done thousands (and the mufflers he uses are brand new take offs), with no headaches to be the way to go. I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon, that's how happy I am with my mod mufflers.
A professional? would that be a "professional newly used muffler modifier"? Give me a break!! I've already done the headache work, and now, if I thought there was a big enough market,,,,,, I'd be a "professional newly used muffler modifier" also! Not to take away from his work, (that some yankee smartass originally thought was a bunch of nonsense) I admire his efforts. What makes yours better than mine? Nothing! You take pride in your ebay mufflers that you bought and I'll take pride in my (now that I'm a professional since my wife gave me a dollar for them) "ShadeTree Performance Exhaust" system that I made in my newly renovated, state of the art, newly used muffler modifying facility,,,, my detached garage. PS...... bite me

Old 12-16-2008 | 08:18 PM
revelator2
Cruiser

gtad1 sounds like you had fun with all your research. I'd be curious to see pics of how you did it....and what you did. I've kicked this same idea around for several months too. And..btw...I have th "ebay modified mufflers"...and they're ok. I'm interested in something a lil different than what a "thousand other" have!

Old 12-16-2008 | 08:36 PM
FLoTR
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by revelator2
I'm interested in something a lil different than what a "thousand other" have!
that's why I'm the way I am. Da_n the masses. I'll tell ya that you need a 1&3/4's hole saw for the front and a hole saw the size of whatever pipe you will be installing in the rear. The baffle is of your choosing. That's the beauty of it. Use whatever baffle you want. Be sure to cut the front part of the baffle out 1st. If you cut the rear 1st you'll find that the front is not welded in, but held in by the rear weld. That was a pain. After you pull the long baffle out of the back, you will need to mutilate the remainder of the front of the baffle,(it'll be a cone shaped pc. about 1 inch long) it's pretty easy. Then weld your pipe in the rear and you're done. Have fun!

Old 12-17-2008 | 06:36 AM
xtremechopper
Cruiser
Default I just did mine

I just made a set of baffles for my mufflers also. Had a set of Bassani 4" slash cuts on my RK and they just were not loud enough. Pulled the baffles out and took all the packing out and reinstalled. A little louder but not quite there. Decided to cut the ends off and put some straight pipe that I had lying around from one of my trucks in its place. welded on the baffle end pieces and away I went. Only cost me about 1/2 hour of my time and now it sounds good and no loss of power either. The good thing with the bassani end caps on the baffle is they have the bar there for the extra backpressure and I tapered downt the size from the 2 1/2 down to 2.

Old 12-17-2008 | 03:33 PM
FLoTR
|
Road Master

xtremechopper, that's what I'm talkin bout,, makin it Yours. Wish I had some after market slip-ons. Sounds like none of your weld is visible. Gonna have to paint the inside rear of mine with hi-heat black. Not much, just the ring around the outlet.

Quick Reply: modified mufflers