Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: FATBOY OR STREETGLIDE
KEEP FATBOY
10.81%
GET STREETGLIDE
89.19%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Fatboy or streetglide

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 01:11 PM
J
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fatboy or streetglide

I posted this in the Softail forum but I'd like to get opinions from bagger riders as well. Before I do my winter mods which include detachable backrest, bags, and new bars, I'm seriousely considering just selling it and getting a Streetglide. I'd love to get my hands on a SG and start building my vision of it. 103", 21/18 contrast cut wheels, blacked out everything, stretched bags, smooth rear fender, killer stereo, etc.... My dilemma is that I have alot of $$ invested in my Fatboy. Much more than the pics would lead you to believe, and even more time. At one time or another, I've had every part off the bike except the engine and trans and no one has ever turned a wrench on it except me so I'm a little sentimental about it. I'd like to keep both but I can't at this time. HELP!

Attached Thumbnails Fatboy or streetglide-getattachment.jpg   Fatboy or streetglide-user9974_pic11797_1225379815.jpg   Fatboy or streetglide-fatboy-20173.jpg   Fatboy or streetglide-getattachment5.jpg   Fatboy or streetglide-fatboy-20172.jpg  

Old 12-09-2008, 01:17 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

nice Fatboy, don't know about trading unless you want to be touring with the SG.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Road Hawg
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great looking Fatboy, I have owned several myself, it's my favorite and IMO the best looking softail. If you ride short distances and don't do a lot of touring keep the Fatboy. But if you like to tour and ride more long distance there is nothing like a Bagger. I sold my Fatboy in 05 and bought a Road Glide and I have never looked back,in fact I'm on my second one I put around 30k miles a year on it. Hard to do that with a softail (especially at 54 yrs old). I am sure you will enjoy it either way...

Old 12-09-2008, 01:20 PM
cegusa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say help the economy and buy the SG. I did the same over a year ago & haven't looked back. Looking at the great job you did on your Fatboy, you shouldn't have any problems turning the SG into a sweet bagger.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:30 PM
ragingbull
Road Captain

Although I agree with the touring comments I think you should stay with the Fatboy. Obviously you put a lot of blood and sweat into it to make it an individual statement. If you buy the Streetglide you're back to square one and will still be spending plenty of bucks to make it your own. When I bought my Streetglide you didn't see too many on the street but there are a lot of them now. If you want to stand out you'll have your work cut out for you. Conversely if the work is what you enjoy have away with it. Building a kick *** SG would be fun too. It's your bike, your decision.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:32 PM
BusterM
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems how I just bought a SG to replace my Fatboy, I'm a little biased

Old 12-09-2008, 01:35 PM
TRUBRIT
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default SG

I had the same dilemma. I put a lot of work into my Fatboy and loved it. 200 tire, air suspension, 18" rims, etc. Went away on a trip with the Wife, not that long but it was tiring. Stopped at an HD Dealership and saw the SG in the color I liked. Traded it then and there. Never been happier. The ride back was like night and day for comfort. the 96" Motor with 6 speed (even running in) was great. I traded because I wanted to go further on the Bike rather than just the short trips or the 'Bike Nights'. There are a lot of options and parts for the SG for you to customize and make it your own. You did a nice job on the Fatboy.......now you have a blank canvas.

Attached Thumbnails Fatboy or streetglide-100_0971a.jpg  
Old 12-09-2008, 01:56 PM
StreetGlider57
Road Master

You've got a fine Fat Boy that you've done a great job with. If you're into touring or somehow your FatBoy is not to comfortable to ride, then maybe the change can be justified. Otherwise I'd keep it, ride it and enjoy all the work you've put into it.

Last edited by StreetGlider57; 12-09-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:00 PM
bucket13
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Fake rigid frame bikes are uncool.....get yourself a SG.

btw, I can definitely appreciate the amount of time, and effort that you have invested in your Fatty.

Last edited by bucket13; 12-09-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:01 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only you can decide, and you obviously know that you'll take a huge hit on the Fatboy.

One thing to consider, if you're thinking of complete customization, why not consider an Electra Glide Standard? It's about 2K cheaper to start with, especally if you're going to change out everything anyway.

Quick Reply: Fatboy or streetglide