Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra and the tourpak

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008 | 06:02 PM
BLade1127
|
Road Warrior
Default Ultra and the tourpak

Newbie to the Touring world, but I have a question. Can the tourpak on an Ultra become detachable as the Classic does. I'm sure there would need to be a quick connect for the electrical as well. Just curious, can't decide between the Ultra or the Classic. I like the Ultra sice it already has the lowers, and I want everything detachable since we can ride pretty much year-round. I know you can pick up lowers for the Classic, but I found a really nice used Ultra for a hell of a price.

Old 12-08-2008 | 06:05 PM
rfultra
Road Master

Yes, the tour pack can be made detachable. HD sells the kit, and others may also. And welcome to the forum by the way, from Missouri.

Old 12-08-2008 | 06:07 PM
Seminolebagger
Cruiser

Yes, it's just a bit more complex due to the additional wiring and antenna for the cb. Go for the Ultra though, you will love it. I thought I wanted to make mine detachable but now I can't imagine not having the tour pak on. I use it instead of the saddlebags for primary storage.

SB

Old 12-08-2008 | 06:15 PM
BLade1127
|
Road Warrior

I've been riding a friend's Ultra, and really enjoy the comfort. I'm just 37 years old , and want to be able to strip it down to more of a EG Standard look for most days. The tourpak would only be used for long rides, and the lowers for the cold winters here. Just wanted to make sure I could make it detachable.

Old 12-08-2008 | 06:38 PM
OldDog
Cruiser

Blade, Had the same decision to make. I never liked the weight /feel of the tour pak around town. I'm 55 and wanted to trade into a Street Glide, but I wanted the regular suspension cause I like to go on trips. Obvious answer: Classic. Take the left over money and do the custom stuff I really want. (only I didn't trade; kept my 97 Evo RK). Now I'm broke.

Old 12-08-2008 | 07:55 PM
BLade1127
|
Road Warrior

Yeah, probably a better bet to save money and get the Classic, then just buy the lowers.

Thanks for the help everyone!!

Old 12-09-2008 | 03:47 AM
jcbpa
Road Warrior

Check the fine points, I found as I had a blast converting my FLHRC into an ultra that yes it is strippable, but I'm missing some things specific to the ultra. Would I do it again... perhaps, because if I really wanted to, I could be riding a King stripped down in about 10 minutes.

Old 12-09-2008 | 08:40 AM
artt
Cruiser

I have an 08 Ultra and I considered making the Tour Pack detachable. When I looked into the details I came to the conclusion that the pro's were outweighed by the con's.
The Ultra Tour Pack involves many more electrical connections than the Standard Tour Pack for the Classic. If the Tour Pack is detached frequently the quick disconnects for the CB and FM antennas are going to wear and cause reception problems. A friend made this mod and was pleased with it but he found that after all that work and expense, he removed and remounted the pack once. After that found it to be more of an inconvenience than it was worth and left it on from then on.

It might be worth it to you but I think the above is worth considering before the investment.

Ride Safe!

Old 12-09-2008 | 08:50 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member

I rode EGC's in the past and made them all detachable and now have an 08 Ultra and love it. The lowers are great, the cruise is great and comes standard on the Ultra. It's a few more wires to hide but getting the Ultra is worth it.

Old 12-09-2008 | 08:51 AM
Ultra007
Tourer

I spend half the time without my tour pack and only put it back on for two up riding or long trips.
It only takes me about 10 minutes to change back and forth. Most of that time is due to having a Corbin seat that I have to take off to change the tour pack. I have a electronic antenae in the fairing and do not use the CB so the wiring is about 30 seconds.
I also have the quick release solo tour pack bracket to move the pack up for a rider backrest. SWEET!
It's pretty simple and easy to change so I would say just do it!

U

Quick Reply: Ultra and the tourpak